The Secrets of Rapa Nui
by Deena and Kalen
The carving was made by the Rape Nui tribe called the Birdmen.
These are the moi, the Rapa Nui statues.
Here's a picture of a moi with coral eye's.
1. In 2009, Easter Island had a population of 4,781.
2. Location = 27 degrees South and 109 degrees West
3. Easter Islands is one of the worlds most isolated islands.
4. Only one airline flies to Easter Island.
5. In 1888 Easter Island was adopted by Chile.
6. Because of Easter Islands smalle size of only 63 miles it quickly became depleted.
7. The written language of Rapa Nui has not been discovered.
8. Easter Island is the most mysterious island.
9. Jacob Rogeveen discovered the island in 1722.
10. The statues were carved from island rock.
Annexed - to incorporate (territory) into the domain of a city, country, or state.
Anthropologists – Scientists that study anthropology (the science that deals with the origins, physical and cultural development, biological characteristics, and social customs and beliefs of humankind.)
Factions - a group or clique within a larger group, party, government, organization, or the like.
This is a map of Easter Island....
Q Where is Easter is located?
A It's located in the Pacific Ocean 2,000 miles from the coast of Chile.
Q Who were the first settles in Easter island and where did they come from?
A The settlers where the Polynesian king Hotu Matua'u people and they came from the Marquesas.
Q What are some of the greatest mysteries surruonding the Rapa Nui?
A How the moai that the people made got from the volcanoes to thier pedestals and how the people made the Rapa Nui.
Q What do you think the moai were used for?
A We think that the Rapa Nui represent different family symbols.
Q How does the mystery of Rapa Nui compare to other historical mysteries you've read about?
A All of the other historical mysteries have undecipherable languages.