Week 6: September 26-30, 2016
Shavannia M. Dash, PrinciPAL
Johnny Gassaway, Asst. PrinciPAL
Sharri Zachary, Asst. PrinciPAL
(1) Our main purpose it to improve students academic achievement.
(2) Effective instruction makes the most difference in student academic performance.
(3) There is no excuse for poor quality instruction.
(4) With our help, at risk students will achieve at the same rate as non-at risk students.
(5) Staff members must have a commitment to children and a commitment to the pursuit of excellence.
PrinciPAL's Message: Our Work 2.0
Public education can be a complicated thing. States set certain criteria, as do local boards, districts, and divisions. Then schools add their expectations, parents have input to share and finally the classroom teacher gets a say as well. As much as we'd like all of these to align perfectly, we recognize that sometimes they don't. At the end of the day what is most important is what happens in the classroom and with students.
We have completed 5 weeks of school and with all of the late enrollment, leveling of classes, and changes in staff assignments , you did not lose focus on what is important …what happens in the classroom and with students. You continued to show up every day committed to excellence!! What an amazing staff! you are a living example of the phrase “putting students first”! Thank you!
As we move on into the 6th week of school and continue working to provide quality instruction to our students, We want you to know that we are here to support you and work with you...together as a team because we are the staff that can successfully accomplish the work that lies ahead of us.
Below is a video that we hope encourages you as we continue to move forward in our new school year. Even though the title says "first day of teaching" the message is applicable at any time. I think you will find its message resonates with all of us.
In Service to Children,
Asst. PrinciPALS Gassaway & Zachary
Elisha M. Pease Curriculum Overview
Our Curriculum Overview Event was a success last week!! Parents were able to share some valuable information about their children, discuss progress report grades with teachers and students were able to show some of their class work. This work is directly connected to Indicator 4.5 on our TEI rubric.
Grades SHOULD BE updated in GradeSpeed every week by Monday 8AM. No exceptions. Parent Portal doesn't work, unless you do!
Student Discipline & Reprimands:
Teachers, as a reminder, please make sure that your conversations with students are appropriate. Per our handbook, at Elisha M. Pease, we Praise in Public and Reprimand in Private. Please make sure that this concept guides each and every conversation you have with students. Additionally, remember that involving parents early on and building an alliance with them can only serve to improve student behavior. Thank you for modeling appropriate and professional conversations as well as for monitoring your tone when speaking to students at all times.
Eagle Instructional Spotlight
General Campus Reminders
Thanks for ensuring the following items are addressed daily/as needed:
· Your classroom is inviting (i.e. clean, neat and organized; backpacks hung up, blinds are same height, etc.)
· Chairs are stacked at the back of the room daily. Our custodians are expected to clean the tops of desks and tables but they can’t do this if you stack your chairs on the tables/desks. Thanks for making this change to ensure our night team can take care of their cleaning responsibilities.
· Students remove all large pieces of trash from their desks and off the floor prior to dismissal daily. Thank you for holding your students accountable for cleaning up behind themselves and managing their learning environment.
· Attendance is submitted DAILY no later than 9:00 a.m. Thanks for adherence to this request.
· All attendance notes are (1) submitted in your attendance folder, (2) include the date received and (3) have students’ first and last name on the note.
· All sack lunch requests are submitted to the Café manager, Ms. Brown, on the appropriate form 3 weeks prior to your scheduled field trip.
· Grade Speed must reflect 2 grades per content area taught each week. Our goal is 100% compliance from all teachers in all grade levels every instructional week. CAMP should have 1 grade per week.