LV Intermediate Parent Newsletter
Volume 22 February 9, 2018
February 14 Class Valentine Exchange Parties
February 16 Coffee Chat with Principal Davis 8:00AM in the Art Classroom at the Intermediate School
February 19 Student Holiday- No Classes
February 20 Fifth Grade Math Benchmark
February 21 Fifth Grade Reading Benchmark
February 22 Fourth Grade Writing Benchmark
March 5 Intermediate TELPAS Testing (only impacts some students)
March 6 Intermediate TELPAS Testing (only impacts some students)
March 12-16 SPRING BREAK- No Classes
March 26 Fourth Grade Math Benchmark
March 27 Fourth Grade Reading Benchmark
March 28 Fifth Grade Science Benchmark
No School on Monday, February 19th
Social Media and Community Board Forums
Lago Vista ISD recognizes that communication between campuses and parents is a crucial part of building a strong school-home partnership, which we greatly value. As such, the District is committed to providing open, two-way communication and encourages all Lago Vista ISD parents to share the same commitment.
While social media presents us with an amazing venue to share and exchange information, if a concern arises regarding your child, or child’s campus, please contact the campus immediately. This timely communication directly with the campus is a crucial first step in working with you to resolve your concerns. As a district, we are committed to ensuring that all concerns are addressed as quickly as possible, but
campuses are only able to assist with finding solutions when we are made aware of concerns through direct communication.
Thank you for your helping with Lago Vista ISD's continued efforts to build strong and effective partnerships with our parents!
The vast majority of our students with excessive absences fail to pass their classes. Students need to be at school everyday.
Our schoolwide attendance goal for this year is 98%. Our state funding is based on the percentage of students at school at 10:00 am every day. Higher attendance rate = more money for resources for your student.
For students who miss school, here is some very important attendance information:
- 3 or more unexcused absences in a 4 week period - warning letter sent home, phone conference with at-risk coordinator and attendance improvement plan.
- 5 or more unexcused absences in a 6-week period - warning letter sent home, phone conference with administrator, attendance behavior plan reviewed.
- 7 or more unexcused absences in an 8-week period - warning letter sent home and Behavior Intervention Plan meeting called with the parents, student, and assistant principal.
- 10 or more unexcused absences in a 6 month period - truancy charges are filed. Parent, student and school administrator will be summoned to appear in truancy court.
STAYALERT SYSTEM REMINDER!
Lago Vista ISD uses StayALERT to help keep our schools safe. StayALERT is a bilingual, confidential website, e-mail, phone and texting avenue for students, teachers, staff, parents and community members to be able to confidentially report unsafe behaviors, suspicious activities, bullying, acts of violence, harassment, and a host of other potential disruptors to school safety.
Users may anonymously report concerns 24-7-365 via the StayALERT website, an e-mail, a phone call to a recorded and monitored line, or via a text message from a cell phone. Photos and video clips pertaining to the StayALERT report may be included. No special app required! Reportable information will be forwarded in a timely manner to a pre-designated school official for review.
To make a report, use one of the methods below:
Call or Text: (206) 406-6485
Transition to 6th Grade is on the Radar!
· Mrs. La Rosa, Lago Vista Middle School Counselor, will be visiting with all 5th Graders on Tuesday, February 27, during Social Studies classes. She will be reviewing and distributing 6th Grade Course Selection Cards for the 2018 – 2019 school year. These cards must be signed by parents and returned to Mrs. Graham by Thursday, March 8.
· There will be a 6th Grade Transition Presentation for 5th Grade parents on Thursday, March 1, at 6:30pm. Mr. Vogler, LVMS Principal, will be there to share lots of information to help you and your student be better prepared for the exciting journey ahead! Mrs. Davis and I will also be there.
February 14 is just another day to be a good friend!
7 Traits of True Friendship
Finding friends that encourage and strengthen who we are.
Greta Gleissner, LCSW
1. Friends who are empathetic.
2. Friends who are selfless.
3. Friends who are trustworthy.
4. Friends with shared interests.
5. Friends with different perspectives and backgrounds.
6. Friends who are humorous.
7. Friends who are a team player.
“The most desired gift of love is not diamonds or roses or chocolate. It is focused attention.” – Richard Warren
What's going on?
Spread some Valentine's Day love with a candy gram! They are only $1 and can be purchased during the lunch periods on Monday, February 12th and Tuesday, February 13th.
Baseball and Softball season is here! Lago Vista youth leagues are now open for registration. Please visit www.lagovistaunitedbaseball.com to register your child today!
Please submit all transportation changes to Kristina Bell, in the front office, by 2:00 p.m.the day of the change:
Text: 512-337-2061 (texting only, no voice calls)
Phone: 512-267-8300 ex. 3500
***Please note*** Transportation changes for early release days need to be submitted no later than 9:00 a.m. on the day of the change.
Yearbook Orders: - Keep those orders coming!!
It's that time of year, again! Keep those precious 2017-18 memories alive for your child with our second annual Lago Vista Intermediate School Yearbook. They are only $20 and are available for purchase online:
School Code: 13169318
Paper order forms are available in the front office, and they will go home in WednesdayFolders after the Winter Break. The order deadline is March 30, 2018 to ensure that your student will have it before the end of the school year.
We exceeded our goal of 90 books sold last year, and would love to see that happen again! Our goal this year is 95. Currently, we need 47 more to reach our goal! Help us reach our sales goal and raise valuable funds towards your student's education.
If your child is out of school for any reason, please be sure to inform the front office the reason for the absence. For your convenience, Mrs. Bell as 3 electronic ways to get her notes:
For questions regarding attendance policy, please refer to our handbook:
Parents, you only have until March 23 to get those doctor's notes into Mrs. Bell for your student to qualify for a "Perfect Attendance" award this 9 weeks. We will not accept any doctor's notes past this date for "Prefect Attendance" award purposes.
4th Grade: 93.33%
5th Grade: 93.18%