Montera Middle School eBulletin
August 30, 2021
Important dates: scroll down for more information
Tuesday, August 31 - Oakland Lacrosse Demo Day, 3:45-5:00 PM
Tuesday, August 31 - Virtual Back to School Night, 6:00-8:00 PM
Wednesday, September 1 - PTO September meeting, 6:00-7:00 PM
Wednesday & Thursday, September 1 & 2 - Flag Football tryouts
Friday, September 3 - Professional Development Day, NO SCHOOL
Monday, September 6 - Labor Day, NO SCHOOL
Thursday, September 9 - Family Engagement Night, 6:30-7:30 PM
Saturday, September 11 - OAL Middle School sports fair, 9:00 AM - 12:30 PM
Tuesday, September 14 - Dads Club garden planning meeting, 7:00 PM
Wednesday, September 15 - Pattys n Buns Fundraiser
Thank you administration, teachers, and staff!!
Parents: Please fill out the PTO volunteer interest form here and let us know how you would like to help make this school year a great one for our students, teachers, and staff.
Montera School Events and Activities - This Week
Montera Sports Program
Is your student interested in playing sports at Montera? We've completely revamped the website to (hopefully) clearly explain the process to play sports! The website explains which sports are played in what season, how to register for sports, tryout information, and more.
The following sports are our Fall sports. We are still looking for cross country and girls volleyball coaches! These are volunteer positions with practices twice a week and games on Saturdays. Please contact Kenya Latimore at firstname.lastname@example.org if you are interested or have questions.
- Flag Football (co-ed) --> tryouts 9/1 & 9/2
- Cross Country (co-ed) --> tryouts week of 9/7
- Volleyball (girls) --> tryouts week of 9/7
- Cheer/Dance (co-ed) --> tryouts 9/7, 9/8, 9/9
All updates for tryout dates will be posted on the website.
Flag Football Tryouts
Wednesday Sept. 1 (3:45-5:45 PM) & Thursday Sept. 2 (4-6 PM)
In order to participate in the tryout, you will need a physical form turned in before you can participate. You may pick up the form from the main office or get the forms off of the Montera website. Tryouts will be on the football field, Wednesday tryouts 3:45-5:45pm, Thursday tryouts will be 4-6 pm. Please bring water. If air quality is bad on either day we will postpone tryouts for that day.
Any questions please contact Coach Smith: email@example.com
PTO September Board Meeting - All Parents/Guardians Welcome
- Latex free band-aids (NOT with antibiotic medication in it) in assorted sizes. EVERY teacher needs at least one box and the front office and nurse's office also need a supply.
- Tweezers for splinters (not the plastic ones)
- Ice packs for PE and front office
- Vomit bucket for front office and pick up waiting area
- Cleansing wipes
- Assorted pads
- Assorted sizes back-up underwear (S/M/L/full-figured)
Backup clothing for students
- T-shirts (S/M/L/XL)
- Sweatpants (S/M/L)
Add whatever you can think of... Thank you!
Other Announcements and Upcoming Events
From Your Montera Garden Stewards
Thank you, thank you, thank you!
To all who came out to help tame the wild lands that were our campus after a year and a half of remote schooling - we say thank you! The before and after photos here say it all. What an incredible testament to the power of this community working together.
With this momentum, we are excited about the months ahead. Twenty seven of us have signed up to help keep up the gardens this year! WOW! And that is great news because there is plenty to do - from pulling weeds to helping demo and build new raised garden beds. Stay tuned in the coming weeks for announcements about specific opportunities to plug in and get active in the Montera Middle School garden! Go Toros!
Your Garden Stewards,
Stephen, Pam, and Jennifer
Family Engagement Night: A Day in the Life of a Middle School Student
When: Thursday, September 9, 6:30-7:30 PM
Where: Zoom link will be provided on Schoology
Join the Montera Dads Club
Who we are:
Here at Montera Middle School, Dads Club is what those involved make it. After these last two years of apocalyptic fire seasons, school strikes, and a pandemic, we think there's a real widespread thirst for community engagement and some major practical needs for the school. Volunteering through Dads Club is one great way to get to know fellow Toro parents and help out. We meet occasionally before pitching in at school events like campus workdays, Fall Fest, and the spring Auction. In-person meetings are preferred to build comradery and, hopefully make things social and fun. But we may also resort to zoom meetings if a quick meeting is in order and that's the consensus.
Dads Club provides a particularly good forum for fathers and father figures who may not otherwise be engaged with school volunteer activities but would like to contribute their talents and skills. Dads Club welcomes all parents and student caregivers regardless of gender.
If you are not interested or available to get involved through Dads Club, feel free to invite your partner or spouse or encourage a friend.
Garden space improvement workday (replacing raised beds, fixing drip systems, sweeping, pruning, and weeding, etc.)
- Planning meeting, Monaghan's, Tuesday, Sept. 14, 7:00 PM
- Garden workday, TBD (tentative dates, Sat., Sept. 25, or Sat., Oct. 2)
Thank you for all you do and we look forward to seeing you on campus and hopefully at DC meetings.
-Jason Holder and Paul Martin
Other Important Montera News and Information
Support Montera All Year Round
If your student is feeling ill
Returning to school:
- Get medically cleared (doctor's note or negative PCR test, AND symptoms have improved and student is fever-free for 24 hours - OR -
- 10 days have passed since onset of symptoms and student is no longer feeling ill
If your student tests positive for Covid-19
- Plan on staying home at least 10 days
- Notify the school of the results
- Work with the Contact Tracing Team
COVID Information from the District
- OUSD is required to report every single positive case to the ACPHD.
- A response team conducts contact tracing for each positive case and notifies families of students with prolonged close contact.
- If you are not notified, then your student was not determined to have prolonged close contact with the person who tested positive, so there is not a need to get tested unless your student develops symptoms.
- Vaccinated students do not need to quarantine as long as they are asymptomatic.
- Unvaccinated students who are asymptomatic can do a modified quarantine, continuing to attend school but testing twice a week for two weeks following exposure and not participating in any extracurricular activities.
- Exposed unvaccinated students may choose to stay home for 10 days with an excused absence. If so, they should contact their teachers for assignments during that time.
COVID Testing Information
COVID TESTING: Covid testing is available at multiple OUSD sites throughout Oakland. Find locations and times here.
TESTING PRE-REGISTRATION: Before attending an OUSD Covid testing site for the first time, you must register here. This is a one time only registration and can be done at any time. Families are encouraged to pre-register so they are ready to go should they need to get tested.
Montera Middle School
This eBulletin is produced on a weekly basis by the Montera Parent Teacher Organization (PTO) except on holidays. It sometimes contains paid advertisements. These advertisements do not imply endorsement of any product or service by OUSD or Montera Middle School.
If you have news you'd like to include, please send it to eBulletin@monterapto.com by noon on Sundays. Submissions may be edited for spelling, grammar, brevity and clarity. In addition, while we strive for accuracy, being human sometimes gets in the way. If you spot something so off the mark we should hang our heads in embarrassment, please bring it to our attention. Thanks!
Be Safe. Be Kind. Be Responsible.