Irons Jr. High Newsletter
We Are Hawks!
Jan. 7, 2022
It was great to see our students back on campus. We had a wonderful first three days. I know we all thought we were done with COVID, but we are seeing an increase in cases at Irons. We will continue to send notifications of positive cases reported to us. If your child has tested positive or has a positive family member in the house, we encourage you to self-report in the student SSO. Reporting in the SSO is the most efficient way to notify your child's teachers they will be absent for an extended period of time. You may also email Nurse Marcelissen at email@example.com
How to self-report:
You can also find the updated COVID information at :
We have continued our best practice of actively cleaning throughout the day and evening, along with e-misting the building. CISD also recently purchased air cleaning systems that instantaneously kill COVID-19 and other airborne pathogens. Instead of trapping viruses and other pathogens in filters as an air purifier, the IVP system uses a heated filter using a metal mesh foam to catch and kill viruses of all species, along with other air pollutants, such as allergens and mold.
SSO Password Update:
Starting Tuesday, January 11th for 7th graders and Thursday, January 13th for 8th graders, your student will see a prompt for a self-selected password reset when they login to their SSO. Students will not be able to access applications until the password has been reset. There will be an option for students to keep their password the same as it has always been, "stuID#." We encourage that students keep the password unchanged so that they remember it. If you decide to change the password, please record the new password in a safe location as we will not have access to it. If you have any questions, feel free to reach out to Mrs. Lundberg, our librarian with questions.
Our yearbook publisher has asked us to give our final number of purchased yearbooks by the end of the month. If you would like to buy a yearbook, please do so before we are all sold out. We currently have less than 100 left for purchase.
Course Selection for the 22-23 school year will take place for our current 8th-grade students in January. Students will watch videos detailing the process in Hawks Nest and meet with the ORHS counselors over several days at the end of January. ORHS will have an Academic Show Case on January 26th and parent information night on January 27th at 6:00 at ORHS.
Course Selection for the 22-23 school year will take place for our current 7th-grade students in January. Students will meet with Irons counselors in January to review the process and answer questions. Irons will also send home a newsletter with videos explaining the course selection process and elective information in the next few weeks.
Have a restful weekend!
Irons Jr. High Principal
We Are Hawks!
STAAR Stand-Alone Field Test
During the weeks of February 7 – 18, 2022, school districts across the State of Texas will be participating in the STAAR Stand-Alone Field Test. The STAAR Stand-Alone Field Test is a requirement of HB 3906, from the 86th Legislature, 2019 which mandates a redesign of the STAAR Test to be implemented in the 2022-2023 school year. The purpose of the Stand-Alone Field tests is to gather data to properly integrate new components and question types into the future STAAR assessments.
The Texas Education Agency (TEA) has selected 49 Conroe ISD campuses to participate in the field test. Each campus is selected to administer a single grade or subject. Participation in the STAAR Stand-Alone Field Test is mandated by TEA – districts and campuses may not opt out.
Irons Jr. High has been chosen to administer 8th grade Reading/Language Arts and will administer the test on February 17, 2022.
STAAR Stand-Alone Field Test details:
● Tests are online only; no paper materials are available
● Campuses should schedule approximately 2.5 hours to administer the test
● All eligible students enrolled in the grade or course selected for the campus are required by TEA to participate in the field test – including English Learners and students with disabilities, unless a student requires an accommodation that is not available in the online field test
● No data or scores will be received from the field test, they are for information only – neither campuses nor students are scored or rated based on these tests
● Number and type of questions:
o Math, science, and social studies tests have 30 questions
o Reading tests have 22 to 39 questions
o Question types will vary by test form, but all new questions types will be field tested
More information about the STAAR Redesign process can be found on the TEA STAAR Redesign webpage.
Please let us know if you have any questions.
Irons Dress Code
Parents, we have observed an uptick of students out of dress code the past few weeks. Please ensure that your child meets the Irons Dress Code before departing for school.
- Clothing must cover areas and undergarments from one armpit across to the other armpit, down to approximately the middle of the thigh. Tops must have at least 1 1/2" straps. Cleavage should not be visible. Rips or tears in clothing should be lower than the middle of the thigh.
- Tops exposing midriffs, back area or cleavage is prohibited.
- Boxer shorts, pajamas or blankets are not allowed.
- Skirts and dresses must mid-thigh length.
- Shoes must be worn at all times and should be safe for the school environment (house shoes or slippers shall not be worn).
- See-through or mesh garments must not be worn without appropriate coverage underneath that meet the minimum requirements of the dress code.
- Headgear including hats, hoodies, bandanas, head scarves, skull caps, do-rags, beanies, hair bonnets, and caps are not allowed unless permitted for religious, medical, or other reasons approved by school administration.
- Clothing may not depict, imply, advertise, or advocate illegal, violent, or lewd conduct, weapons, or the use of alcohol, tobacco, marijuana or other controlled substances.
- Clothing may not display or imply vulgar, discriminatory, or obscene language or images.
- Sunglasses may not be worn inside the building.
- Clothing and accessories that endanger student or staff safety may not be worn.
- If the parents are unable to bring a change of clothes for the student, we may:
- Ask the student to change into their PE shorts/shirt.
- Ask them if they have a change of clothes in their backpack/locker.
- Provide them with a clean loaner set of PE clothes.
Instruction Begins at 8:50 AM
Please remember that instruction begins at 8:50 AM. I know that traffic can be heavy on 45 and 242, so please help your child by leaving a few minutes earlier to plan for the increase in traffic. Your child needs to arrive on campus in plenty of time to get some breakfast, walk to their class, talk to their teacher, and then prepare to start a day of learning.
Students must be in their class prepared for instruction when the bell rings at 8:50 AM.
If students wish to attend the game, they must meet the following criteria:
- Students must be passing all classes
- No more than four tardies this nine weeks
- No discipline referrals for this nine weeks
Students will be required to pick up a wristband at lunch on Thursday, the week of the game. The wristband will allow the students to purchase a ticket at the door for one dollar.
All students must be picked up from the game by 7:15.
1/7 Report Card
1/17 MLK Holiday
1/26 ORHS Academic Fair
1/27 Progress Report (PAC)
2/7-8 ELA Interim Assessment
*2/10 Spring Picture Day*
2/9-10 Math Interim Assessment
2/11-14 History Interim Assessment
2/15-16 Science Interim Assessment
2/17 8th Grade ELA STAAR Field Test
2/17 Progress Report(PAC)
2/18 School Holiday
2/21 Presidents' Day Holiday
2/25 Irons Spring Dance
3/11 Teacher Professional Learning/Student Holiday
3/11-18 Spring Break
3/25 Report Card
4/14 Progress Report(PAC)
4/15-18 School Holiday
4/27 Red Carpet Awards
*5/4 Algebra EOC*
*5/5 8th Grade Science STAAR*
5/5 Progress Report(PAC)
*5/6 8th Grade History STAAR*
*5/10 7th Math STAAR*
*5/11 7th ELA STAAR*
*5/12 8th Math STAAR*
*5/13 8th ELA STAAR*
*5/5-20 Make-up STAAR*
5/17 NJHS Induction
5/20-26 Semester Exams
5/26 Last Day of School Early Release at 1:10
6/1 Report Card
Please print, complete form and return to Irons Jr. High in the summer or at schedule pick up day.