The Cougar Connection
Weekly Update for Families - May 5, 2023
Office Hours 7 AM - 3:30 PM
Attendance Hotline 913.993.7245 (All Day)
Attendance Office 913.993.7242 (Partial Day)
***Please direct dial the attendance office and allow 30 minutes processing time from phone call to release when requesting early dismissal for your student.***
From Dr. Gruman
Dear Northwest Families,
We have ushered in the month of May and everything is in full focus for a strong finish to our school year!
Below are some reminders for our families as we work together to support our students in this very busy time. They are organized by grade level for your reference.
Parents of Seniors:
- Wednesday, May 10 - Final exams begin for seniors. Please see the Senior Final Exam schedule below.
- Friday, May 12 - Senior's last day. Activities include senior breakfast from PTSA and graduation rehearsal. Students receive their caps and gowns and tickets at graduation rehearsal. The tickets will be used if the ceremony is held indoors due to inclement weather. Students will also confirm their name and pronunciation with the teacher reading their name at rehearsal.
- Friday, May 12 - Senior Skyward Survey due with transcript request information. Please see the section below. Students complete this survey in Skyward and indicate where they want their final transcript sent. Students provide an addressed envelope per the details below.
- Thursday, May 18 - Graduation Ceremony at SM North District Stadium at 7 pm. Students will receive an instruction sheet with details about the ceremony and arrival time at rehearsal.
Parents of Freshmen, Sophomores, and/or Juniors:
- Encourage your student to check Canvas for any missing assignments or tests and quizzes that may need their attention from 4th quarter.
- Monday, May 15 - is an ODD Block Day.
- Wednesday, May 17 and Thursday, May 18 are review days.
- Friday, May 19 - Final Exams begin for blocks 1 and 3. Please see the Underclassmen finals schedule posted below.
- Tuesday, May 23 - Last day for students. We will collect their MacBooks for updates and maintenance over the summer. This is a 1:10 dismissal day with buses rolling shortly thereafter.
Please reach out to us if you have any questions or need assistance with anything as we navigate the many activities during these final weeks together. This can be a stressful time as well, so please connect with one of our counselors, social workers, or administrators as needs arise. You may call the main office at 993-7200, and we will assist with that connection. We are here to support.
Approaching transitions may also cause heightened anxiety or amplify other mental health conditions. An after hours resource is the National Suicide and Crisis Line is 988 for call or text. That is a crisis line to assist with immediate needs. We are here to assist as well if you are noticing a change in your child's behaviors or level of interactions.
Have a wonderful week!
All the best,
Dr. Lisa Gruman
Spring Carnival / Bike Rodeo this Satruday!
The Rotary Club of Shawnee and the City of Shawnee are hosting the FREE Bike Safety Rodeo THIS Sat. May 6 from 9:00 am – 12:00 pm in the west student parking lot at SMNW. SMNW families are invited to attend – bring your bike!
SMNW StuCo is excited to host our spring carnival during that timeframe, SMNW NHS/CCC/Interact Club will be providing volunteers during the Bike Rodeo, and SMNW Band/Drumline will be performing. We hope that you will bring your kids preK-6th grade to enjoy the festivities – kids get a free helmet, a free shirt, enter to win a new bike, food/drinks, a photobooth, facepaint, balloon artist, etc.
Yearbooks will be distributed to seniors during graduation rehearsal on Friday, May 12.
Underclassmen will receive their books on the afternoon of Friday, May 12. Classes will be called to the mall to pick up or purchase books during 7th hour. The last 30 minutes of the school day have been designated for a signing party in the mall. All students will be released to the mall at approximately 1:10 p.m.
Those who wish to purchase a book should make sure their names are on the Wait List. Those on the Wait List will be able to purchase their books when their class is called to the mall. They must have $70 in cash with them to purchase the book.
Senior Survey Open
All seniors are required by the district to complete two short surveys. PLEASE HAVE YOUR STUDENT COMPLETE THEM AT THEIR EARLIEST CONVENIENCE, PRIOR TO MAY 12TH, IF THEY HAVE NOT ALREADY DONE THIS.
Survey #1 - Located on the student’s Skyward account.
Survey #2 - Located on the SMSD website.
1. Skyward Survey is located on the student’s skyward account under “online forms”.
This survey asks for students to report scholarship information (amounts of scholarships offered and amounts of scholarships accepted).
This survey is also where seniors will indicate where they want their final transcript to be sent. Students must provide a stamped addressed legal-size envelope if they plan to attend a college other than JCCC, KU, or KSU. Students should write their name on the inside of the flap of the envelope and give the envelope to Mrs. Ramsey, registrar. She is in the main office.
2. SMSD Website Survey is locate: https://www.smsd.org/academics/curriculum-instruction/student-resources
AP and IB Testing
AP and IB testing are in full force. Students need to pay special attention to exam release times that might affect how to get home (there are no late busses), athletic events, and work shifts. Please bring a snack for the break; it helps!
Follow this link to purchase items, support fundraisers, volunteer or become a PTSA Member! Please see the link below for JUNIOR families:
PTSA will be hosting the Senior Breakfast on the morning of May 12th. Please visit the sign up for additional details, we need several volunteers and lots of donations to make this event successful. Thank you in advance.
Class of 2023 Senior Breakfast
Teacher Appreciation May
To celebrate our incredible teachers and staff, PTSA and the Freshman class will host a staff tailgate on Wednesday, May 10th. Please use the sign up to donate and/or volunteer. Thank you in advance!signupgenius.com
School Nurse - Keeping our Students Healthy
In SMSD, we have begun to see increases in absence due to illness; with a few physician diagnosed illnesses and many generalized symptoms.
One of the most important things to help decrease the spread of illness is for those who are not feeling well to stay home. If your child has a temperature of over 100.0 or has vomited or has had diarrhea, they must stay home. Students may return to school when they have been free from fever (without medication), vomiting, or diarrhea for 24 hours.
Your child may also be ill, but without these symptoms. They may have a sore throat, headache, cough, or generally not feel well. If you suspect illness, please keep your child home. If in doubt about sending your child to school, contact the school nurse or your child’s doctor.
For district COVID-19 guidelines, please visit https://www.smsd.org/about/departments/health-services/coronavirus-or-covid-19-information