QUESTIONS TO ASK OURSELVES
What do we want our students to learn from us?
What they learn- or how they learn it?
- Should they focus on how well they are doing or on what they are doing?
- ...and why?
- Or should they do what we do; commit to continuing learning?
- Are we modelling the right attitudes to learning?
Reflecting on our purpose allows us to become better at what we do.
Our initial observations
what do we see when we assess our students?
Collection and use of data
how do we use the data we have gathered to create better learning?
Questions we ask
What questions do we ask ourselves in order to ensure that we keep on improving?
Teaching is an ongoing journey- we don't simply arrive
The Focus is on the Student
Real World Learning
are students give a chance to connect their learning to the world around them?
do they get a chance to deepen their thinking and make connections between ideas?
Having a Say
Do they get to make their own learning goals?
Learning from our peers
- set up a meeting with a teacher you want to visit
- Go in with a goal in mind (e.g. questioning techniques)
- take notes on the topic you are investigating
- make time to discuss your observations with the teacher (within 48 hours)
- set goals for how you will use your new knowledge to transfer it into skill
- reciprocate- allow others to visit you
This all helps to create a community of learners that is the PLC