The Lion King
A Broadway Musical
History of The Lion King Musical
The Lion King is a musical based on the 1994 Disney animated film about a prince cub that was scared away by his wicked uncle into thinking he killed his own father. Ashamed, Simba ran into the African jungle alone. He befriended 2 very particular friends and made his journey back to his pride to fulfill his destiny to be King.
- The Lion King has been seen by more than 54 million people in 14 different countries in five continents.
- The Lion King is the seventh longest‐running musical in Broadway history
- It is one of only five productions in theater history to play for ten years or more.
- Winner of more than 70 global theatrical awards
- The Lion King has been translated into seven languages: Japanese, German, Korean, French, Dutch, Mandarin and Spanish.
- Gareth Saxe as Scar
- Alton White as Mufasa
- Aaron Nelson as Simba
Songs from the Musical
- Hakuna Matata
- The Circle of Life
- 1998 Tony Award for Best Musical
- Outstanding Musical
- Best Costume Design award
Did you know...........
- Over 750 pounds of silicone rubber were used to make the masks of the characters in Lion King
- There are six indigenous African languages spoken in the show ,Swahili, Zulu, Xhosa (the click language), Sotho,Tswana, and Congolese.
- The tallest animals in the show are the four, 18‐foot exotic giraffes.