Standing Bear News
August 12, 2022
Message from the Principal
Greetings Standing Bear Families,
We are all getting prepared to welcome students back for the 2022-23 school year! The Omaha Public Schools District provides all necessary school supplies. Students should come with a backpack and have tennis shoes for recess and PE. The classroom teachers may put out a donation list once school gets going. Parents will have the opportunity to support staff and the classroom with supplies then. Just a few reminders and requests to make our morning and afternoon transitions most efficient.
- Staff is not on duty until 8:30am. Please do not drop your student off until 8:35 for breakfast or to go to class. The bell will ring at 8:35am and the doors will open for students to enter the building.
- It is nice to allow parents to walk their student(s) to class on the first morning to ease nerves and get photos. We will allow parents to escort students the first few days if you feel you need to do so. However, we will ask that parents NOT escort students beginning Monday, August 22nd. We love seeing families in the building, but we want to develop some independence also. We have staff in all hallways to assist students. If there is a specific concern you have please feel free to contact me.
- Please try not to arrive at school for pick up prior to 3:55pm, once we get traffic moving the dismissal process is very effective, we dismiss at 4:05pm. This also makes it difficult for day care providers or parents picking up early for appointments to get through the line to the front of the building.
- This is probably the most important thing- Please have your car number tag visible throughout the entire pick up process. This will help us get your student(s) to you in a timely manner. FAMILY NUMBERS WILL REMAIN THE SAME AS LAST YEAR. IF YOU ARE NEW YOU WILL RECEIVE A NUMBER HANGER ON BACK TO SCHOOL NIGHT. IF YOU NEED ADDITIONAL OR NEW HANGERS FOR AN EXISTING NUMBER YOU CAN GET THOSE AT BACK TO SCHOOL NIGHT ALSO.
Detailed information about arrival and dismissal is listed below for your reference. Again, thank you for all you do! Standing Bear has the best families and I appreciate working with you all. It is going to be a great year!
Stay positive, patient and flexible!
At Standing Bear Elementary on Monday, August 15th from 6:00pm-7:00pm
Parent To Do List:
Located on the Omaha Public School website
Please select campus parent to log into the system
Login on left side of the screen
If you already have an account you can login. If you are new, you will need to contact the school for an activation key. Please call the main front office at 531-299-2140.
After you have contacted the office, you will receive this information. You will login and update all student/family information.
Click on the Store button
You can purchase your child's iPad insurance or an activity pass
Please submit insurance payment online
Student Family Information Packets
- Drop off is 8:35AM, that is when breakfast is open and staff are on duty
- Please have student(s) ready to get out when you pull up
- Pull all the way down if able
- If you need to get out to assist your child, go into the parking lot lane not the main drive
- If your student is NOT eating breakfast they need to enter through the main front doors rather than the cafeteria doors
- Grab and Go Breakfast- if your student is eating breakfast, they need to enter the building through the cafeteria doors. They may enter through the main front doors if they choose not to eat the district provided breakfast.
Dismissal and pickup
When parents pull onto school grounds, outside staff will input your family number to indicate that you have arrived. Classroom teachers will get your student(s) ready to dismiss. How this works- We will enter your Family Number into a form, this will be visible to classroom teachers in the building and they will dismiss. Students will be dismissing out the main front doors staggered based on your arrival time. Students will NOT be dismissing out any other doors.
It will be extremely helpful if you let your student(s) know your preferred lane for pick-up. This will help them know to look for you in the main drive or the parking lot lane. Once your student(s) are loaded, you can pull out of the pick-up line to leave.
What you will need at dismissal:
- You will need to place your car hanger number on your rearview mirror so it is clearly visible to outside staff.
- You will need to pull all the way down to the front door (as cars move ahead, you move ahead) if you are picking up on the main drive, pull all the way down to the front main entrance or up to the vehicle in front of you. If you are picking up in the parking lot lane, you will still need to pull all the way forward. ALL students will exit out the main front doors.
- We will call your student(s) out as you arrive, continue to pull forward whenever possible until all your students are loaded.
** Kindergarten students- dismissal will remain the same for parents who walk up to get kindergarten students. If you are choosing to drive through for pick up, parents will still pull up like all other vehicles with their family number visible.
** Early Childhood will remain the same. Parents will need to park and come check out their child.
** Walk up parents- A staff member will be located out front, you can provide them with your family number so teachers are aware you are ready to pickup. You student(s) will then be dismissed.
** Each family will receive 2 car hangers. If you would need additional ones, please contact the office. It is imperative not to lose your issued designated car hanger numbers. Please clearly display upon arrive so there is no confusion to expeditiously release your child for pick-up.
WE WILL BEGIN DISMISSAL (ENTERING NUMBERS) AT 4:00PM. PLEASE DO NOT ARRIVE AT SCHOOL BEFORE 3:55PM TO PREVENT AN INITIAL BACKUP. The line moves very fast once we begin the dismissal process.
Thank you for everything!
Early Pickup for Students
If you are picking up your students early for a doctor appointment, etc please call the office ahead of time and we will have you child ready to go at the designated time. Parents will need to come into the office to check out your student(s).
Important Information from Standing Bear
For the safety and security of our students and this building, anyone entering the building must stop in the office first.
Drop Off Zone
We ask that you please continue to pull all the way down to the second crosswalk if possible (by main front doors). We can then unload around 10 vehicles rather than 5.
We currently have a school staff member assisting your child to breakfast or the classroom at the main doorway for all student’s morning arrival. REMINDER: School doors don’t open until 8:35 AM for classroom entrance and breakfast opening hours.
We ask again not arrive for end of school day pick-up until 3:55pm to prevent traffic flow congestion issues .
Please be attentive and cognizant of all school crossing guard officials and adhere to their requests during student morning drop-off and pick-up times. Our goal is to ensure your child’s overall safety.
School Blackboard Communication
We will be using Blackboard for mass communications to families. All newsletters, updates and reminders will be sent via email or text. Please make sure to contact the office if you need to update your contact information.
We ask that only non-food items be brought for birthday celebrations. Please check with your child's teacher to discuss day and time for treats to be dropped off.
Omaha Public Schools does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, religion, sex, marital status, sexual orientation, disability, age, genetic information, citizenship status, or economic status in its programs, activities and employment and provides equal access to the Boy Scouts and other designated youth groups. The following individual has been designated to address inquiries regarding the non-discrimination policies: Superintendent of Schools, 3215 Cuming Street, Omaha, NE 68131 (402-557-2001).