Mrs. Kondikoff's Friday Focus
Lopatcong Elementary School
Friday,February 5, 2016
- Students may bring Valentines on Friday, February 12, 2016 to exchange with their classmates and teachers.
- Students may not attach candy to the valentine cards that are sent in to school.
- Please utilize an extended snack time on Friday, February 12, 2016 for students to exchange and read their valentines.
- You may bring in 1-2 snacks to share with your class. The snacks must be from the approved snack list. Please fill out a Request for Food in School form if you plan to bring in a snack for your class and have the form signed by Ann Bertsch and me. All snacks brought in by staff members must be approved by Ann and me.
Thank you for your help in making this a positive experience for our students.
Mrs. Stacy Conner, the guidance counselor at the middle school, will be shared between both buildings for the remainder of this school year. Mrs. Conner will take on many of the groups and individuals Mrs. Burd meets with on a regular basis. The Child Study Team (Mrs. Newman, Mrs. Zittis, and Mrs. Sessions) will help with emergencies and other things that need immediate attention when Mrs. Conner is not in the building.
Mrs. Conner will begin working with us next week to get to know the school, staff, and students through the transition. She also has an intern, Angela Sodtalbers, working with her through the remainder of the year as well.
This is the plan throughout the remainder of this school year. As the end of the school year approaches, we will begin to look at a plan for next school year.
A letter will go out to parents today in the virtual backpack regarding this change.
Literacy Consultant Visit-February 11th
As many of you know, Sarah Buxton will no longer be working with us. Gwen Trombley is our new literacy consultant and will work with us for about fourteen days from now until the end of the school year. The goal is for her to work with us to complete an updated, consistent Reading and Writing Curriculum for grades 1-4 by the end of this school year. She will continue the work Sarah Buxton has already done in third and fourth grade. When she visits with us, she will obtain feedback on pieces of the curriculum she is working on and model lessons to support the updated curriculum and best instructional practices.
Gwen’s first day in the district is Thursday, February 11th. While she is here she will review the curriculum that Sarah has been working on with third and fourth grades and gain feedback as she continues that work. She will begin to outline a scope and sequence/unit plan with first and second grades. She will also demo a read aloud lesson at each grade level, followed by a brief debriefing on the lesson. Marianne will be doing character education/bullying lessons while Gwen is working with each grade level that will be backed up to each grade level’s prep time. Below is the schedule for meetings and demo lessons with the literacy consultant on Thursday, February 11th.
8:15am-9:30am FOURTH GRADE
- Literacy Consultant will meet with fourth grade ELA teachers
o Meet in Mrs. Stone’s room from 8:15-8:45 to discuss curriculum
o Gwen will model a read aloud lesson in Amanda Wayne’s room from 8:45-9:15
o Meet in Mrs. Stone’s room for a brief follow-up discussion on the lesson from 9:15-9:30
- Mrs. Burd will do a lesson in the fourth grade pod from 8:15am-8:55am (Mrs. Peterson and Mr. Bonney will stay with the students during Mrs. Burd’s lesson)
- Mrs. Burd, Mr. Bonney, and Mrs. Peterson will walk all five classes to specials.
9:40-10:55 THIRD GRADE
- Literacy Consultant will meet with third grade teachers.
o Meet in Rene Boylan’s room from 9:40-10:10 to discuss curriculum
o Gwen will model a read aloud lesson in Jess Sherwood’s room from 10:10-10:40
o Meet in Rene Boylan’s room for a brief follow-up discussion on the lesson from 10:40-10:55
- Mrs. Burd will do a lesson in the third grade pod from 10:25am-10:55am. (Mrs. Roberts will stay with Mrs. Burd during the lesson.)
- Specials teachers will take their classes to the third grade pod to meet Mrs. Burd.
10:55-12:40 SECOND GRADE
- Literacy Consultant will meet with the second grade teachers
o Meet in Debbie HIghet’s room from 10:55-11:30 to review curriculum
o Gwen will model a read aloud lesson in Stacie Behme’s room from 12:00-12:25
o Meet in Debbie Highet’s room for a follow up discussion from 12:25-12:40
- Second grade students in specials from 10:55-11:10
- Specials teachers will bring the students to the pit in the library at 11:10
- Mrs. Burd will begin the character ed lesson from 11:10-11:30 (Mrs. Pogirnicki will assist). Mrs. Burd and Mrs. Pogrinicki will walk the students to lunch at 11:30.
- LUNCH: 11:30-12:00
- All four second grade classes will go to music and movement from 12:00-12:20. Mrs. Steele and Ms. Burke will pick them up in the APR from lunch.
- Mrs. Steele and Ms. Burke will bring the students to the library pit and Mrs. Burd will finish the character ed lesson from 12:20-12:40
1:15-2:30 FIRST GRADE
- Literacy Consultant will meet with first grade teachers
o The literacy consultant will model a read aloud in Mrs. Behme’s room from 1:15-1:45
o Meet in Stacie Behme’s room for a follow up to the lesson and curriculum discussion from 1:45-2:30
- Mrs. Burd will cover Mrs. Ludlow’s class from 1:45-2:00
- The specials teachers will bring the students to the library pit to meet with Mrs. Burd
- Mrs. Burd will do a character education lesson from 2:00-2:25. Mrs. Burd will begin walking the students back to the classrooms at 2:25. They should arrive in the classrooms by 2:30 to get ready for dismissal.
I will meet with grade level teams on Wednesday, February 10th to continue data digs.
The literacy consultant will meet with each grade level on Thursday, February 11th as per the schedule above.
2/9 I & RS Meetings
2/11 Literacy Consultant
2/12 PTA Sweetheart Dance @ 7:00pm ES
2/15 NO SCHOOL-President's Day
2/16 Last Day to change SGOs
2/17 Staff Meeting @ 2:45pm
2/19 I & RS Forms Due
2/22 Harlem Wizards Assembly
2/25 Literacy Consultant