Chestnut Grove Parent News
February 5, 2023
"Every student matters; Every second counts!"
Dear Chestnut Grove Families,
We need volunteers to help with a project in our outdoor classroom February 16th. Click this link to sign up by February 10th: https://forms.gle/SMEGnFnoUqpPpPcu6
We are seeing a direct correlation with Freckle math to fill in gaps in learning with increased growth in math. We need ALL students to do their 15-20 minutes of Freckle for homework each night. Students should be reading each night for 15-20 minutes, as well. Ask your child about the book they are reading from the library!
Rebekah Higgins, Principal
DCS Freckle Frenzy
Yearbooks on Sale (see graphic for ordering info-online only)
6: Kids' Heart Challenge begins (see information below)
13: 5th graders begin registration for AMS
15: Scoliosis screening (5th grade)
16: 5th graders visit Austin Middle School
20: Remote Learning Day (no Google Meets; assignments will be given in advance)
21: AMS Curriculum Night (for 5th graders and parents)
22: Bus Driver Appreciation Day
24: DCS Math Tournament (4th & 5th grade Math Teams)
24: Club Day
27: Student of the Month
27-Mar 3: Read Across America Week
Volunteers Needed with our Outdoor Classroom Project Feb. 16
We also need rolls of weed fabric. https://forms.gle/GjTohp5DUgnA85QNA
Kids Heart Challenge Kick-off: February 6
Get Ready, Kids Heart Challenge is Coming
SAVE THE DATE! OUR KICK OFF: February 6, 2023
Chestnut Grove Families,
Get ready for the American Heart Association’s Kids Heart Challenge (KHC)! This year, our school will be learning about staying strong in body and mind, we’ll get moving with fun activities, meet kids with special hearts and raise funds for the health of all hearts. Plus, they’ll feel good for doing good!
Download the Kids Heart Challenge App or visit heart.org/KHC to register today and earn your own BE THE TORCH WRISTBAND so you can help light the way!
Once you've registered, start Finn’s Mission and complete the challenges. As a family you can help to create a community of lifesavers by learning the lifesaving steps of Hands-Only CPR. It’s quick, easy, and fun! Learn more about Finn and his special challenge HERE.
Thank you for keeping more hearts beating strong!
Rebekah Higgins, Principal
Our top performing K-3 homerooms for the month of January are:
5th grade beat 4th grade for the month of January with 190 minutes per 5th grader vs. 174 minutes per 4th grader! Way to go, 5th grade!
Importance of Sleep
The amount of sleep your child gets at night also has a direct impact on their behavior and ability to learn during the school day. Check out this article to increase your knowledge on the importance of sleep for children:
Please monitor and limit your student's use and practice healthy screen time. We do not intend for devices to replace playing outdoors or quality family time.
Decatur City Youth Volleyball League
Austin Youth Volleyball League begins soon!
Coach Benson has some hard copy order forms to hand out in P.E. classes. You can scan the code on the flyer or fill out the packet and bring it with them the first day.
Here is the link for the ePayment if you would like to pay that way, or you can pay the day of the first practice, 2/14, with cash or check!
Alabama Literacy Act
CGES is a Ronald McDonald Pop-tab Pandemonium Collection Site!
We have a drop-off bin in the foyer where can place your full bags of aluminum pop tabs. Students will receive a sticker recognizing them for their donation. Our big turn-in date is in April, and we want to beat our record of pop tabs collected.
2022-23 Million Word Challenge
CGES Million Word Readers
Merrick M. - 4th grade
Who will be next?
Each student’s million word count starts over at the beginning of each school year. Students must score an 80% or above on their AR Quiz for the words to be counted. STUDENTS ARE REQUIRED TO READ AT HOME at least 20 minutes each night and take AR quizzes to log their words read. They will earn AR Rewards in library in addition to the following rewards given by the DCS Foundation.
REWARDS (t-shirts & gift cards will be delivered at the end of the school year
prior to awards day):
- 1st Million Words Read - They will receive a new MWC t-shirt with the current school year on it.
- 2nd Million Words Read and beyond - a $10 gift card per every million read over 1 million (ie: 3 million words earns a $20 gift card) This only applies to 3rd-8th grade students!
PARENT RESOURCES TO HELP AT HOME
Help support our Hardworking Teachers & Staff!!
ARRIVAL & DISMISSAL PROCEDURES
Arrival - UPDATED 8/12/22 (7:30-7:45am) at the front left (playground end)
Dismissal (2:15-2:30pm) in the rear (Vicksburg Drive)
If you arrive to drop-off or pick-up your child after these times, you will need to park and come to the office.
K & 1st grade arrival (7:15-7:45am) & dismissal (2:45-2:55pm) will be in the front left parking lot. Older siblings of K/1st graders will join their younger sibling on the lower carline.
2nd - 5th grade arrival (7:15-7:45am) & dismissal (2:45-2:55pm) will be in the front right parking lot.
If you do not have your carline card, you will be asked to park in the parking lot and bring your ID to the office to pick up your child.
- Walkers: students who live in the neighborhood; dismissed to adult at 2:35pm. If you allow your child to walk home alone, contact Mrs. Higgins or Mrs. Coffey.
- Check-outs must be done prior to 2:15pm (2:00 for PreK). We do not allow checkouts after this time due to preparing for dismissal.
- If your child's regular mode of transportation changes, it is important for you to communicate directly with your child's teacher by 2:00pm daily since they are the ones who handle transitions to dismissal each day.
- If you do not have your carline card, you will be asked to park in the parking lot and bring your ID to the office to pick up your child.
- Students are marked tardy if they arrive after 7:45am.
- If a student is checked out prior to 11:30am, they are counted as absent for the day.
Stay connected ~
- Ensure you are signed up for teacher communication
- Visit our website https://www.dcs.edu/ and social media
- Check your child's communication folder/binder daily
- Join PTO and sign up to volunteer