Fulton Science Academy
ACCREDITED AND STEM CERTIFIED COLLEGE PREP GIFTED SCHOOL
Week of August 13th, 2018
Dear Students, Faculty, and Parents,
Welcome everyone to our 2nd week of the 2018 - 2019 Year! Students began their After School Clubs today! I hope that everyone enjoyed their first day of clubs!
We will have our first Dress Down Day of the Year this Friday! Dress Down days are always on the 2nd Friday of each month. Students who are in good standing and do not have any conduct points may dress down.
This Newsletter contains some important information about our Arrival and Dismissal Procedures, Parents, please pay close attention to this information so that we are able to keep our students as safe as possible, and have a more efficient arrival and dismissal for everyone!
This Newsletter also contains important information about upcoming events, exciting news about our Athletic Teams, as well as Private Music Lesson and Student Led Club information!
After School Clubs began today!
Please remember that you can pick up a club change form from the front desk, keeping in mind that these changes will not go into effect until the following Monday.
FSA will continue the partnership withthrough the 2018 – 2019 school year to supply school uniforms. It is never too early to start thinking about the things you will need to start the new school year. Follow the link to start your uniform order today.
- Volleyball practice 4:30-6:00 for Middle School girls, Varsity girls practice 4:30-6:30
- Cross Country practice at 6:30am - 7:30am,
- Volleyball Practice 4:30-6:00
- Middle School girls, 4:30-6:30 for Varsity girls.
- If you missed Cross Country this week, you are more than welcome to come out this week to participate.
- First Volleyball game of the Season at The Cottage School. This game is Parent- Driven, Parents please meet at the school at 3:45 and everyone will carpool over to The Cottage School. The address for the game is 700 Grimes Bridge Road Roswell, GA 30075.
- Cross Country Practice at 6:30- 7:30am,
- FIRST Volleyball HOME game starting at 5:30 in our gym. Students are allowed to stay in the gym after if they are attending the game.
Appen Media Group announced a community-wide Call for Nominations as part of their annual "Best of the Best" competition in North Fulton County in 2018. Please show your support of Fulton Science Academy Private School by voting here:
Please enter our school name as "Fulton Science Academy Private School" to nominate our school under the categories of "Private K-12" and "Pre-school / Daycare". Please encourage people around you to vote for our school as well :) Thank you for your support!
***VERY IMPORTANT ARRIVAL & DISMISSAL REMINDER***
Happy Monday to all of you.
I would like to inform you about some changes to our arrival procedures.
Beginning tomorrow we will have two locations for morning drop off:
- Pre-K through 1st grade families may drop off their children at the dismissal area near the playground between 7:00am and 7:40am. These students will be escorted to the cafeteria until they get used to the procedure. Therefore, families don't have to get out of their cars. This drop off area will be closed right at 7:40am.
- 2nd grade through high school families may drop off their children at the main school entrance as usual beginning at 7:00am.
- Families with siblings in pre-k through 1st grade may drop off their children using the upper dismissal area near the playground as well.
Important Arrival Instructions
- Please ask your child to get ready for drop off before arriving to the drop off area. As soon as the car stops, students should quickly get out of the car. We sometimes notice that students are playing games, eating breakfast, or just sitting in the car even after car stops. This creates delays during arrival time. It is important that students are ready for drop off and quickly exit their car.
- Our teachers will open the doors for students in elementary. Middle and High School students should quickly open their own car doors and come out.
- Please have your child at the right hand side of the card for quick drop off.
- Student backpacks should be kept inside the car to quicken the process. Opening the trunk to take bags causes delays with the arrival process. We kindly ask for your cooperation on this important matter.
- Parents should not get out of their car at all. Please let staff help your children. As soon as we take your children, you should be ready to move on.
- Cell phone use is not permitted during arrival and dismissal time.
- The parking area next to the gym is for staff parking only. Please do not park there to drop off your children. All parents should follow arrival procedures as it is announced.
Please let me know if you have any questions
Thank you very much for following the arrival and dismissal procedures so carefully and patiently this week. Together, we ensure that our dismissal time is both smooth and safe for our kids. Therefore, it is vital that all families follow dismissal instructions as announced. Please do not deviate from instructions or use short cuts.
Please read following instructions carefully:
We have a barcoded school dismissal system. Please make certain you have your barcode card ready and available when you arrive to pick up your student. In order for dismissal to run quickly and smoothly, it is important you have your barcode card everyday.
Please be reminded that no parents are allowed to park in front of the school at any time during the day including after school care time. Parents should always park designated parking areas but not in front of the school.
STUDENT PICK-UP IS NOT ALLOWED FROM FRONT OFFICE BETWEEN 2:15 and 3:40
- Please be informed that student pick-up is not allowed from front office between 2:15. and 3:40. You may only pick up your child from dismissal area during this time.
- Any families with doctor appointments or other pre-planned commitments should plan to come to the front lobby and pick up their child before 2:15.
- No students will be called from clubs as it disrupts the learning environment.
Pre-K and kindergarten families should follow the dismissal instructions provided by their teachers.
ELEMENTARY SCHOOL (1st Grade through 5th Grade)
- The first dismissal for elementary is between 2:30 and 2:35. Any cars that arrive dismissal area after 2:35 will be asked to wait for 2nd dismissal. We have assigned clubs for all elementary students. All remaining students after the first dismissal will be joining their designated clubs for the day.
- The second dismissal is between 3:15 and 3:40. Elementary families that arrive after 3:40 pm may park their car in one of the designated parking areas (NOT in front of the school) to pick up their child from cafeteria using the main door by showing your dismissal card.
- Middle school parents should pick up their children either during 2nd dismissal (3:15 to 3:40) or during 3rd dismissal (4:00 to 4:10) from the dismissal area.
- Any cars that arrive dismissal area after 3:40 will be asked to wait for 3rd dismissal which begins at 4:00.
- We will block the dismissal area at 4:10 pm. Families that arrive after 4:10 pm may park their car in one of the designated parking areas (NOT in front of the school) to pick up their children from cafeteria using the main door by showing your dismissal card at any time,
- High school parents should not use the dismissal lane at all.
- You may pick-up your child at any time by simply parking at one of the school parking areas (not in front of the school) and texting your child's phone to ask him/her come to your car.
Those families and carpools with siblings from different school levels should follow middle school dismissal procedures to pick up their children. For example, if you have children both in middle and elementary or high school and middle school, middle school dismissal procedures will work best for you.
MORE TO COME:The rest of this Newsletter contains a lot of very helpful information for the coming school year so please be sure to read through the whole thing very carefully. Further down you can see information on:
- New Parent Breakfast
- Shakespeare Club
- Private Music Lessons
- Curriculum Nights
- 2018 - 2019 School Medication Policy
- Immunization Requirements
- Reporting Attendance Information
With Warmest Regards,
quote of the week
Wednesday, August 15: Professional Speaker Series for High School Students (2:40pm - 3:15pm)
Friday, August 17: Dress Down Day for All Students
Thursday, August 23: New Parent Breakfast (Time TBD)
Friday, August 24: Elementary Summer Reading Dress Down Day
Monday, August 27: High School Reading MAP Testing
Tuesday, August 28: High School Math MAP Testing
Tuesday, August 28: Pre-K - 2nd Grade Curriculum Night (6:00pm - 7:30pm)
Wednesday, August 29: GA Tech Counselor Visit (2:30pm - 3:15pm)
Wednesday, August 29: 3rd - 5th Grade Curriculum Night (6:00pm - 7:30pm)
Thursday, August 30: Middle and High School Curriculum Night (6:00pm - 7:30pm)
Monday, September 3: Labor Day (NO SCHOOL)
Tuesday, September 4: Welcome Back Picnic, Pre-K - 2nd Grade (Times TBD)
Wednesday, September 5: Welcome Back Picnic, 3rd - 5th Grade (Times TBD)
Thursday, September 6: Welcome Back Picnic, Middle School (Times TBD)
Friday, September 7: Welcome Back Picnic, High School (Times TBD)
New Parent Breakfast
Shakespeare Club (Student Led Club!)
After auditions, cookies and drinks will be offered to celebrate the second year of Shakespeare Club.
private music Lessons at FSA
Please click on the picture below to visit Southern Art Music's Website for more detail on Programs offered at FSA!
Fulton Science Academy Curriculum Nights are coming up!
Grandparents Day at FSA!
At Fulton Science Academy, we know the important role grandparents play in our student's lives. As such, we like inviting our grandparents to come and enjoy a special day here at FSA, along with their grandchildren.
SUNDAY, SEPTEMBER 9
TIMES OF EVENTS TBD
The purpose of this special program is three-fold:
- To honor grandparents;
- To give grandparents an opportunity to get more information about their grandchildren’s school; and
- To help children become aware of the strength, information and guidance older people can offer.
We encourage students, parents, and grandparents to come together to celebrate!
School Medicine Policy 2018 - 2019
Aspirin, Tylenol, Neosporin, and other patient over-the-counter drugs are not available through FSAPS. Should you wish for your child to have access to these medications, you must sign an
‘Authorization to Administer Medication Form’ and leave a supply with the front office.
The medication to be administered by designated school personnel must be sent directly from the pharmacy or physician’s office or brought to school by the student’s parent/guardian. The school must receive an ‘Authorization to Administer Medication Form’ signed by the student’s physician and/or parent/guardian.
The following information must be printed clearly on the medication container:
Name of the medication
Time the medication must be taken.
Bring in only the amount of medication that is needed for a school day. In the case of prolonged need, send in the amount for a clearly specified period. Written authorization to dispense medications shall be limited to two weeks unless otherwise prescribed by a physician. Medication shall only be dispensed out of its original container, which must be labeled with the child’s name. Extra medication will not be sent home with a student. All medication will be kept in a secure location in the clinic and/or front office.
easy ways to help kids relieve stress (A message from Nurse Vickie)
"With their busy schedules and pressure to perform, kids these days face a lot of stress, making stress management for kids a hot topic for parents. Our quick tricks help kids calm their nerves—whether they're anxious about a test, upset after a tough day or trying to wind down for bed. Take our tips further with a routine of healthy eating, regular physical activity and plenty of sleep!
If your child is showing signs of severe stress or anxiety, talk to his health care provider for more help." (Children's Health Care of Atlanta)
Visit the link below for more information
Kindergarten & 7th Grade Immunizations for
2018 - 2019 School Year
Please note that rising K and 7th grade students need additional immunizations to attend school in August.
Please see below, and check with your child's doctor over the summer
SAFE RIDE SOLUTIONS - STUDENT TRANSPORTATION
Safe Ride Solutions is a premier transportation company providing transportation services to school-aged children, blind, disabled and senior citizens. They pick up and drop off elementary, middle, and high school students from home to school, summer camps, local events, sleepovers, birthdays, field trips, medical appointments and any other location requested by the parents. The company is owned and operated by Paris Mock, a Registered Nurse licensed in the State of Georgia with 25 years of experience in the healthcare industry. Paris also has a background in information technology and has leveraged that expertise to integrate technology with passenger safety. We service both Fulton and Gwinnett counties including surrounding communities. Currently these company server several of our students. For more information, please check: https://saferidesolutions.org/about-us/
If your child will be absent please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org on the morning of the absence.
For full attendance policies please see the student handbook.
reminder: safe driving on campus
Please remember that the speed limit is 15 mph on the school campus and there is a stop sign at both the entrance and exit. We have had some instances where people tend to drive a little too fast and don't make complete stops at the stop signs.
In an effort to keep our students safe, please remember to drive the 15 mph speed limit while on campus and please make complete stops at both the entrance and exit stop signs. Also, please be mindful of the staff members directing traffic.
Check out our sideline store for great deals on fsa apparel and accessories
The site allows the user to select the item, color, logo, and team whether it be academic or athletic; even different sayings! The possibilities are endless! There is everything from cotton shirts to Dri-Fit Nike or UA workout shirts! Any type of apparel you can think of, it has! I want to thank Coleson Randall, FSA's Athletic Director, on all of his hard work on bringing this site to fruition!
CLICK HERE TO VISIT OUR SIDELINE STORE
& CHECK OUT THE CODE BELOW FOR A LIMITED TIME SALE
steam day 2018
Spring 2018 STEAM Expo
last blast 2018
aftercare hours reminder
Parents, please be reminded that After - School Care is provided every day from 4:30 pm to 6:00 pm for a fee of $15.00 per day or $200.00 for the month. We ask that parents pick up any remaining students by 6:00 pm, and no later, as the school closes at 6:00pm. Sometimes our Academic Teams will stay later, but these students are not considered to be in After-Care. There are also sometimes outside organizations that use our facility for sports events, so it may look like there are still plenty of people here, but these more often than not, do not include aftercare students. Thank you for your understanding.
Home Visits - A Fun Way to meet your teachers!
Home visits are a casual way for your child to spend time with his/her teacher in the comfort of their home. Teachers enjoy having a chance to see children in this comfortable environment, doing whatever makes them most happy and spend time with children and their parents outside of a regular school day.
Simply email email@example.com with some suggested dates/times, as well as your students' name(s) and homeroom assignments. Ms. Unal will be in touch to confirm final details.
FSAConnect mobile App
We are happy to inform you that now you can check fsaconnect by mobile app.
Here is how you can access the app:
ITunes App Store: https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/radix-mobile/id1159005166?mt=8
Google Play Store: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.radix.radixmobile
The links can also be found at the bottom of your connect page by the other social media links.
A pop-up banner will appear on top of the screen when users access the school connect on their mobile devices.
Site link: https://fsaconnect.fultonscienceacademy.org
Username: fsaconnect username
Password: fsaconnect password
PLEASE SIGN UP FOR REMIND, OUR SCHOOL NOTIFICATION APPlication
JOIN FSAPS REMIND HERE: https://www.remind.com/join/fsaps
We have created a remind account to keep our community informed and up-to-date with what is happening at our school.
By joining "FSAPS remind," you will receive messages via push notifications, SMS, or e-mail. We recommend SMS option for our families and students.
We will use this tool as an addition to other communication portals we use at our school to keep our families apprised of what's happening at Fulton Science Academy. Thank you.
FSA SOCIAL MEDIA
Please connect with us online and grow our social media following!
FSA is proud to be building a strong social media presence and we encourage you to follow us using one or more of the following links:
4- FSA LINKEDIN
So many of you have LinkedIn accounts. To get news about our school on LinkedIn, simply follow our schools’s LinkedIn page.