Coronavirus (COVID-19) update

Vaya al final de la página para el botón de traducción.

March 12, 2020

Dear Families:

As COVID-19 (coronavirus) continues to spread in our region, I know we all have growing concerns about the health and safety of our families. I feel deeply about our responsibility to keep our students and staff safe and healthy.

Yesterday, March 11, the Alameda Co. Office of Education and the Alameda Co. Dept. of Public Health met and released a statement saying that district wide or regional school closures are not warranted at this time. If this guidance or our situation changes, we will immediately inform the school community.

Updated guidance from the California Dept. of Public Health released yesterday, March 11, indicates all events with 250+ people should be cancelled/rescheduled. Smaller non-essential events should be canceled on a case-by-case basis unless specific criteria can be met.

Based on this new information, through April 3 (at the minimum) we will suspend the practice of all school assemblies on Friday mornings. In addition, the following upcoming events will be cancelled and/or rescheduled. (Information on how each individual event will be managed will be provided in separate email updates.) If additional events are cancelled, families will be notified.

- Funny Fables Drama Production – Tues, March 17 and Wed, March 18

- Social Emotional Student Success Workshop – Thurs, March 19

- Upper Elementary Literature Night – Fri, March 20

- Coffee with the Principal – Fri, March 20

- Middle School Dance – Fri, April 3

Staff and the PTO will discuss how to address the upcoming Scholastic Book Fair. Details will be provided.

This evening’s Board of Directors meeting will continue as planned.

Essential school gatherings (including Board of Director meetings, PTO meetings, staff meetings, etc.) will continue as planned; however, this is subject to change. Participants should wash their hands frequently, stay home if sick, and practice social distancing (6ft away from other participants).

We are making decisions about field trip participation on a case-by-case basis dependent on the travel plans and location. Field trips to large public locations through April 3 will be cancelled or rescheduled.

County School Superintendents have made a request to the California Superintendent of Public Instruction to temporarily waive some sections of Ed Code regarding attendance to provide families with more options should they wish to keep students at home. I will announce any adjustments as soon as we receive a response from the state. That said, I understand that every family is in a unique situation. Some may have people in their households who are vulnerable to complications from COVID-19. If you choose to keep your child out of school, I respect your decision. Truancy notices will be suppressed through April 3. Teachers will do their best to provide missed schoolwork.

Over the past few weeks, I have spoken with many of you and understand the many concerns that you have expressed. We are all working diligently to provide a safe environment for your children while causing as little disruption as possible to student learning. This is a difficult time and there is no easy path. Every day presents new challenges in the Bay Area. We are doing our very best with the information we have, at a time when information is changing quickly. Thank you for your patience and partnership as we work through this crisis together.

In Partnership,

Jennifer Heeter

Head of School