Library Science Tutorial
How to: Tattle Tape a Book
By: Ellen Lopez
What is Tattle Tape?
Tattle-Tape is a security system used in library books. It consists of a magnetic metal strip embedded in a strip of thick, clear adhesive tape.
- A book (that hasn't already been tattle taped)
- Tattle Tape Strip
1. Grab your book that you are planning to tattle tape.
We'll be working with the Fire Walker
2. Part the book to aproximitely half
It is preferred that you place the Tattle Tape in the middle of the book
3. Acquire your strip of Tattle Tape
4. Remove the liner from the security strip.
In other words unstick the plastic from the Tattle Tape Strip
5. Place the Tattle Tape near the spine of where you parted the book
Pull the strip until it is fully between the binding
You've just tattle taped your book and it's ready to be shelved
Extra: What to do after
Following steps after you have successfully Tattle Taped your book
Sensitize the book
Just for reassurance make sure you sensitize the book before it's shelved
All you need to do is slide the book along the sensitizer
When the book is returned you also need to sensitize it
Check Out Time!
At the time of checking out REMEMBER to desensitize the book or else the alarm will go off if the student tries to go through!