Orenda Superintendent Newsletter
2022-23 Annual Forms
2022-23 Parent-Student Handbook and Code of Conduct
Back-to-School events are an opportunity for students and families to meet the teachers and staff, drop off school supplies, bring needed updated immunization documents, and other activities needed for the start of school, such as athletic forms, PTO, and afterschool supervision. Below are the event dates for each campus.
Gateway College Preparatory School
Kinder and 1st grades - August 10, 5:00 - 6:00 pm
7th - 12th grades - August 10, 6:30 - 8:00 pm
2nd - 4th grades - August 11, 5:00 - 6:00 pm
5th - 6th grades - August 11, 6:30 - 8:00 pm
Gateway Tech High School
August 11, 6:30 pm
Nolan Creek School
August 16, 5:00 - 6:00 pm
August 15, 5:00 - 6:30 pm
Under Construction - Updates
Currently, the previous entrance is the only entrance and exit for the campus due to the road construction. Orenda Education has been working directly with the city and county to have access to our previous exit starting next week for Back-to-School Nights and the start of school on August 16th. Any delay and/or changes to this plan will be communicated through the Gateway App.
Summer Safety Updates
In response to the Uvalde tragedy, the Texas Education Agency (TEA) and the Texas State Safety Center (TxSSC), under the leadership of Gov. Abbott, released several summer action steps for all Texas school districts to complete prior the start of the 2022-23 school year. Below are the summer safety action items that will be completed by Orenda prior to the first day of school:
- Conduct a Summer Targeted Partial Safety Audit
- Conduct an Exterior Door Safety Audit
- Convene Safety and Security Committee to review the multi-hazard emergency operations plan (EOP) and the active threat plan
- Train all campus staff (including substitutes) on the district and campus safety procedures
- Schedule all mandatory drills for the school year
- Ensure all threat assessment team members are trained
- Review and update access control procedures (exterior doors and visitor procedures)
- For the new school year, access control procedures must include exterior door sweeps (ensuring doors are closed and locked) at every instructional facility at least once each week while instruction is being conducted.
In addition to the required state summer action items above, Orenda Charter School will be implementing the additional safety items below.
- Update the Emergency Operations Plan based on the 2021-22 Full Safety Audit
- Train all students on access control procedures (i.e. securely close all exterior doors after entering, don't let anyone in through exterior doors, don't prop open any exterior doors, etc.)
- Conduct an active threat exercise with staff on an non-instructional day in the Fall 2022
- Review, update, and implement delivery and key control procedures
- Relaunch anonymous threat and bullying reporting tool, StopIt, for all campuses
New COVID Updates
The readmission criteria for COVID-19 is as follows:
- If symptomatic, exclude until at least 5 days have passed since symptom onset, and fever free, and other symptoms have improved.
- Children who test positive for COVID-19 but do not have any symptoms must stay home until at least 5 days after the day they were tested.
The Orenda Return to In-Person Instruction Plan has been updated and is located here.
On-campus COVID testing will continue to be available in the 2022-23 school year.