We Are Together Tamanend!
May 3, 2019
Tamanend is Pitch Perfect
At Saturday’s Central Bucks A Cappella Festival, two professional a cappella clinicians, Deke Sharon and The House Jacks, worked with CB MS and HS groups to bring their performances to the next level, with some really great results. Student groups showed off their improvements during the first half of the evening concert. The second half of the concert featured the House Jacks, who thrilled the crowd and earned their moniker “Rock Band Without Instruments.” Highlights of the performance were Deke joining the Jacks on stage and showcasing his amazing vocal trumpet, spontaneous audience requests (including the crowd favorite ‘Old Town Road’), and the finale, which featured the 330 CB participants and both guests joining forces to sing “Since You’ve Been Gone,” from the movie Pitch Perfect.
CALENDAR ITEMS TO NOTE
Upcoming Events at a Glance
Teacher Appreciation Luncheon--Monday, May 6
Spring Arts & Music Festival #2--Tuesday, May 7 @ 7:00 PM
8th Grade Iron Pigs Field Trip--Wednesday, May 8
Spring Arts & Orchestra Concert--Wednesday, May 8 @ 7:00 PM
The Diary of Anne Frank--Wednesday, May 15 @ 7:00 PM (open to entire CB community)
Relay for Life--Saturday, May 18 @ Tohickon Middle School
May 2nd Spring Concert Time Change
Reminder--Order Your Copy of the Tamanend Yearbook!
Click here to order your copy of this year's Tamanend yearbook. The cost is $40.
A Cultural Experience at La Luna
On Wednesday, May 1, 9th Grade French and Spanish students traveled to La Luna Dance Studio for dance lessons and lunch. Students learned to dance swing and salsa and watched a seven-time world salsa championship pair dance. Lunch included typical French and Spanish foods including quiche, tostones, pollo guisado, arroz blanco, eclairs and tres leches cake. Everyone had a fun, cultural learning experience.
HELPUL REMINDERS ABOUT TAMANEND PROCEDURES
Reminder--Student Assistance Program (SAP)
The Student Assistance Program (SAP) has been established in schools throughout Pennsylvania. SAP Programs provide schools with the means to identify, refer, and support students who are exhibiting behavioral, academic, or attendance issues that put them at risk. Tamanend has a team of dedicated school personnel who are trained to assist students, faculty and family members in identifying problems that impact the student’s ability to function in school. The team can also offer students and their families resources to assist them in alleviating these problems. For more information about the SAP Program, please click here. To complete a SAP referral form for a Tamanend student, please click here.
Athletic Department News
- During the Fall of 2019, our 7th and 8th Grade students will have an opportunity to play volleyball at the middle school level through community school. This Spring, each high school will host a volleyball clinic to prepare current 6th and 7th Graders for next Fall.
- 7th Graders interested in playing football at Tamanend…you and your parents should plan to attend an informational meeting in Tamanend’s Cafeteria on Tuesday, May 14th at 6:00. You will receive information about the football program, as well as details on voluntary workouts at the end of May/beginning of June and again in August. Tamanend’s coaches hope to see you there!.
FROM CB SOUTH:
- There will be a concussion meeting, followed by mandatory ImPact testing, for all students trying out for Fall sports at CB South on Monday, May 13th at 3:00 in the auditorium at CB South. Bus transportation will be provided, and students must be picked up by parents at CB South. Any current 8th or 9th Grade student interested in playing a Fall sport at South must register with Mr. Klein in order to take the bus.
- CB South Golf: Interest meeting to be held on Monday, May 13 in the Forum Room at the conclusion of the mandatory fall sport concussion meeting. This is for any boy or girl who will be in grades 9-12 next school year and wants to try out for the golf team.
- CB South Girls Basketball open gyms are held Tuesdays from 6:30-8:30 and Wednesdays from 2:30-4:00. There will be no open gym on May 21st.
- CB South Girls Volleyball open gyms are held Wednesdays in the Aux Gym from 7:00 to 9:00.
- CB South Boys Basketball open gyms will be held Mondays 6:30-8:00 and Thursdays from 3:00 to 4:30, through June 6th.
- All open gyms are weather dependent. Announcements will be made for cancellations.
This Week's Athletic Schedule
- 8th Grade Softball @ Newtown (Away; at Helen Randle Park); bus leaves at 2:20
- 8th Grade Baseball @ Newtown (Away; at Helen Randle Park); bus leaves at 2:20
- 8th Grade Girls Soccer vs. Shafer (Home; 3:00)
- 7th Grade Softball vs. Unami (Home)
- 7th Grade Baseball vs. Unami (Home)
- 7th Grade Girls Soccer @ Tohickon (Away); bus leaves at 2:40
- Varsity Track vs. Lenape (at Tohickon); buses leave at 2:40
- Girls Lacrosse @ Tohickon (Away); bus leaves at 2:40
- Boys Lacrosse vs. Tohickon (Home)
- Junior Varsity Track vs. Lenape and Holicong (at Tohickon); bus leaves at 2:40
- 8th Grade Softball @ Lenape (Away); bus leaves at 2:40
- 8th grade baseball @ Lenape (Away); bus leaves at 2:40
- Varsity Track vs. Holland and Tohickon (at Tohickon); buses leave at 2:40
- 8th Grade Girls Soccer vs. New Hope-Solebury (Home)
- No games
UPCOMING TAMANEND EVENTS
Reminder--The Diary of Anne Frank Performance
Relay for Life 2019 Update
Reminder: All participants must raise a minimum of $50 of donations by Friday, May 10. Please take advantage of the online donation option, if possible. If you are unable to donate online, individual team members should bring checks payable to the American Cancer Society to Room 230 during Advisory on Friday, May 3 or Tuesday, May 7. Thank you!
Jules Thin Crust Fundraiser for Relay for Life--May 6
UPCOMING SOUTHSIDE EVENTS
Reminder--Support CB South's First Annual Color Run!
CB South NASA Club's Star Night Event--RESCHEDULED FOR FRIDAY, MAY 17 DUE TO WEATHER
CB South Mock Trial Summer Camp
UPCOMING DISTRICT & COMMUNITY EVENTS
Bucks County World Language Academy Information Night at Jamison Elementary School
Reminder--The Next Meeting of the Tamanend Parent Book Club is May 13
Join us for the Tamanend Parent Book Club. This year, we will be reading Raising Kids to Thrive (2015) by Kenneth R. Ginsburg, MD. The book describes "the Lighthouse Parenting Strategy" in which parents balance unconditional love and high expectations with the goal of raising resilient and happy children. This book club will follow a "no-pressure" format in which the facilitator will present a summary of the chapter and open the floor for discussion. We will share resources and ideas with the goal of helping the entire Tamanend parent community navigate the challenges of raising adolescents.
Meetings are held at 6:30 in the Tamanend Library
Click here for further information, dates, and book information.
Please email Dr. Brian Caughie at email@example.com if you are interested in participating.
District Art Show--May 31 Through June 2 at CB West
Joe Ramos' Break the Silence Community Picnic--July 27
RESOURCES AND ASSISTANCE
Reminder--Help with Resources
If you are experiencing a financial hardship, please know that the staff members listed below can help you and your family. We can provide assistance with food, clothing, student fees, internet access, and other issues. Please don't hesitate to contact us:
Brian Caughie, Principal firstname.lastname@example.org
Kyle Dudley, Assistant Principal email@example.com
Lauren Myrtetus, Certified School Nurse firstname.lastname@example.org
Jeff Klein, Guidance Counselor email@example.com
Mandy Cammann, Guidance Counselor firstname.lastname@example.org
CB Farmer's Market--May 8 at Barclay Elementary School
Reminder--Grandfamilies Support Group
GETTING INVOLVED AND STAYING CONNECTED WITH TAMANEND
All are Welcome to Join the Freshman Dance Committee
The Freshman Dance Committee Meeting will meet on Thursday, May 2nd, 5:00-6:00 in the Tamanend Cafeteria. If you are interested in helping out with this year’s Freshman Dance, regardless of which grade your child is in, please join us on Thursday evening. We will be meeting in the Tamanend Cafeteria from 5:00-6:00 pm to discuss details of the event. This will be the first meeting, so all are welcome. If you would like to help, but are unable to attend, please contact Mr. Dudley, at email@example.com.
Thursday, May 16th, 9am
1492 Stuckert Road
RSVPs are enabled for this event.
Please Consider Volunteering at Tamanend Middle School
Reminder--Volunteer Required Paperwork
Pennsylvania law requires all persons having direct contact with school children to obtain background checks and clearances. If you are planning on being in a Central Bucks school during the 2018-2019 school year for any reason, you will need to go to Volunteer Required Paperwork, and complete what is needed to obtain your Photo Volunteer ID Card. You will need that ID Card and a photo ID to enter a CB school.
Reminder--Support Tamanend While You Shop
If you use the following vendors, please think about supporting TMS while you shop:
- Giant Food Store has an A+ School Rewards program through their clip-less coupon card that gives money to the school you designate every time you shop. Use this link to select Tamanend as your A+ school after August 15th of the new school year.
- Clip and send in Box Tops to the attention of NJHS.
Share Good News About Tamanend Students
Ways to Stay Connected with Tamanend
Here is a list of ways Tamanend communicates with students, families, and the community:
- Tamanend website: includes important information, resources, calendar of school events, and daily announcements
- Calendar of school events (posted on our website)
- Daily announcements (scrolling on TV screens during school day and posted on our website)
- TV show (weekly, during Advisory period)
- Email blasts from Tamanend administration regarding important news, new procedures, and reminders
- Parent Portal: student information, grades, and attendance
- Tamanend Connections newsletter: useful information, important reminders, and school highlights emailed weekly during school year and posted on Tamanend website
- Twitter: @CBTamanendMS highlights of activities, events, and daily life at Tamanend
- CBSD app: highlights of activities, events, and daily life in Central Bucks
Para nuestras familias hispanohablantes...
¡Bienvenidos a Tamanend! Yo soy Brian Caughie, Director de Tamanend Middle School. Soy hispanohablante. Pasé mucho de mi vida en España. Estoy aquí para apoyarles a todos los estudiantes y familias en Tamanend. Favor de llamarme or escribirme (en inglés o en español) si Ud. tiene cualquier duda o pregunta.
Correo electrónico: firstname.lastname@example.org
Oficina: (267) 893-2900