News from the 'View
Skyview Upper Elementary School
Welcome to the 2019-2020 school year!
This newsletter has information to get you ready for the start of school. Our annual open house is August 22nd from 6- 7:30 p.m. This event is a time to find homerooms and do a self-guided tour of the building. Just as a reminder, there are no formal presentations at this event (and teachers will not be present.) All "orientation" type activities (including getting lockers) are done the first few days of school.
On the first day of school (August 28th) your child will receive a packet with information and forms for completion, including a student health information card. If you have new medical information that you would like to share prior to the start of school, please contact our office at 610-489-5000 ext. 34200.
We hope that you have had an excellent summer. We look forward to welcoming everyone back to Skyview!
Mrs. Gorla and the staff of Skyview Upper Elementary
When you look at your child's progress on the parent portal you will see a listing of all courses your child will have during the year. Your child's homeroom teacher is listed next to the course named "HR." Please be sure to sign up for access to the parent portal - this is the best way to monitor your child's academic progress and is the way we issue quarterly report cards.
For an overview of the student day and sample schedules - click here.
Lobby Guard at Skyview - Safety procedures for visiting our school
Skyview Upper Elementary School has a new security sign-in system called Lobby Guard. All visitors and volunteers will need to sign in and out through the kiosk located in the vestibule. All visitors will need a driver’s license or passport to enter the school building. Below are the steps you will need to follow:
1. Go to the kiosk and touch the start button to begin the log in process
2. Answer all the questions on the Lobby Guard kiosk for “Visitor”
3. Swipe your driver’s license or passport under the red light on the lower left side of the kiosk
4. Once approved to enter the building, ring the doorbell next to the kiosk.
5. Go directly to the main office window to receive your Visitor badge
1. Go to the kiosk and touch the start button to begin
2. Follow the directions for “Volunteer” and answer all the questions
3. Once approved to enter the building, ring the doorbell next to the kiosk.
4. Please wear your volunteer badge while in the school.
Dropping off items at school
Arrival and Dismissal at Skyview
Students who are driven to school are to be dropped off and picked up in our car loop in the rear of the building (our gym entrance.) Please follow the direction of the teachers on duty in this area - especially in pulling your car forward and not "going" around other cars. In order for students to be picked up from school they must have a note. Notes are required on a daily basis (even if a child is picked up every day) - this is the student's "ticket out the door."
We have many children, but none to spare! Maintaining safety in our drop-off/pick up areas is very important to us!
Lockers, Lockers, Lockers!
How do we communicate as a school?
- e-newsletters (such as this one) which are sent via school messenger and posted on our school website
- follow us on twitter: @skyview_msd
- any "hard copies" of flyers to be sent home on THURSDAYS during the school year
- our school website is updated regularly to reflect happenings at our school
- a monthly "letter day calendar" posted on our website
- grades updated (every ten days) via the Power School Parent Portal - be sure to sign up for this, not only is this a great way to check your child's progress, it is how we issue report cards!
- each team will provide further information on how they communicate with parents at our back-to-school nights
- responses to e-mails and phone calls by all members of our staff
Power School - Methacton's Student Information System
PowerSchool is the district's student information system. This program provides families with:
- Access to PowerSchool’s parent portal.
- A parent portal app to follow your student’s success in school from your mobile device.
PowerSchool is designed to provide families with "single source" access to all of your student's education information, including contact and family information, transportation information, and more.
CLICK HERE to visit the Methacton website for additional information.
Skyview Breakfast: $1.95
Skyview Lunch: $3.00
Click HERE for August/September lunch menu
Click HERE for the Food Services website
Friday, August 30 and Monday, September 2 - School Closed
Friday, September 6 - Home & School Meeting 9:30 a.m.
Wednesday, September 11 - Grade 6 Back-to-School Night - 7 - 8:15 p.m.
Thursday, September 12 - Grade 5 Back-to-School Night - 7 - 8:15 p.m.
Friday, September 13 - Picture Day
Monday, September 30 - School Closed