The Central Scoop
November 20, 2020
From the Principal's Desk...
Dear Central Families,
With the holiday season upon us, it's the perfect time of year to say how much we value each one of you. Your dedication to our students and staff and the entire school community is exceptional. Thank you so much for all the hard work and energy you put into our school. We feel extremely lucky to serve this community. We hope you all have a happy and healthy Thanksgiving.
And please remember there is no school next week!
With Warm Regards,
~ Becky & Taylor
Updates From The District Office
Travel Guidance: In its most recent update on November 12, the Cook County Department of Public Health recommends avoiding all non-essential travel and quarantining for 14 days upon returning to suburban Cook County. This is a significant shift that depicts the current status of high COVID-19 community transmission. Based on this CCDPH update, District 39 is requiring a 14-day quarantine for any travel outside of Illinois for more than 24 hours. Our D39 self-certification tickets for in-person attendance have been adjusted to reflect this updated guidance. Please plan accordingly and notify your building principal should your child(ren) require quarantine after the Thanksgiving break.
Future Metrics Updates: Our District 39 Metrics Advisory Team meets weekly to study important school-relevant metrics of COVID-19 and the District’s Reopening Plan in order to guide adjustments to our reopening efforts and improvements in health and safety protocol. Based on the Team’s ongoing review of both external and internal metrics and a combination of factors including substantial rates of COVID-19 throughout our community, increasing quarantine restrictions and the related challenges with staffing and student attendance, District 39 has planned for an adaptive pause of in-person instruction for the week of November 30th. All students will participate in fully remote programming December 1st-4th. Parents can expect an update from the District on the Team’s recommendations by 5:15 pm on Monday, November 23rd and Monday, November 30th. Parents, please plan to check your email for updates.
Second Semester Enrollment Commitments: Parents are asked to review the email sent Tuesday regarding District 39 2nd Semester Enrollment Commitments and Information. Please review this following information carefully. We ask that parents submit one 2nd Semester Enrollment Commitment Form for each child by Monday, November 30th. Please thoughtfully consider which program is best for your child(ren) for 2nd semester, understanding that this is a commitment of programming for the entire second semester (beginning on January 25th through the end of the school year). Enrollment commitment forms must be submitted by no later than Monday, November 30th to ensure your child’s enrollment selection. For additional information, parents are encouraged to review the District 39 Parents Toolbox. Parents may also find it valuable to watch the recorded parent Q&A Webinar that was hosted earlier today. (This webinar is also posted to the Parent Toolbox for future viewing.)
Wilmette Warriors - This Week!
In an effort to recognize our outstanding students, each classroom teacher is identifying a student from class for a weekly special recognition. Each week, students will be selected for showing characteristics such as kindness, respect, trust, caring, friendship, courage and community. Selected students will receive a certificate and recognition through a short celebration video that will be shared on Friday afternoons. Please see the video below celebrating our WILMETTE WARRIORS from this week!
Fox Fitness Fanatics Club - Check Out The NEW Challenge!
- The Fox Fitness Fanatics have accumulated 37,440 activity minutes in the first 6 weeks.
- There is a new 30/30 Challenge from November 13-December 12, 2020. Walk with a family member for 30 minutes over 30 consecutive days. Just enter the minutes under walking in the Recreation and Sports area. Individuals who successfully complete the challenge will receive one of our larger, 2.5 inch foot tokens.
- Students receive a certificate and a token for various activity levels completed. These activity levels will be in 500 minute increments.
- Any activity minutes entered after 3p.m. on Thursday will be included the following week.
- Check out the chart below to see how active our Central community has been so far.
- We have already issued 62 Fox Fitness Fanatics certificates!
Due to Thanksgiving, the next update will be posted in the Scoop on December 4, 2020. If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact Ms. Peth at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Just Keep Moving!
Virtual Author Visit For 4th Graders!
I’m delighted to announce that author Keir Graff will be speaking to D39 4th graders in a Virtual Author Visit the week of December 7th. The presentation, with an emphasis on the writing process, will be approximately 45 minutes in total including time for student questions and answers. Keir Graff is the author of Matchstick Castle, a selection on this year’s Reading Rally list for D39 4th graders. He recently published Tiny Mansion, a fast paced adventure that is sure to delight our readers. Personalized books will be available for families to purchase through The Book Stall. More details coming soon!
Monthly Birthday Bash with the Principals
Here is the Zoom link:
Join Zoom Meeting
Meeting ID: 864 2424 5957
Construction Update for Central Avenue 11/20/20
PTA Announcements & Reminders
Shop local with Central at Share, Wild Child, & Lefty’s Pizza on Thursday, 12/3!!
Get ready for the holidays by supporting local small business and the Central PTA on Thursday, December 3rd. Shop great hostess gifts, toys, holiday presents, decor, and favorite things online or in-person during regular business hours. Mention that you’re shopping or ordering with Central School and Share, Wild Things, and Lefty’s Pizza will donate a portion of sales back to the school. Happy shopping & happy holidays!
Gift of Giving
Calling all elves! The Gift of Giving Committee is looking for some spirited Central families to help the holiday season “take flight.” For the past 12 years, the Central School community has generously supported LYDIA Home and Metropolitan Family Services (MFS). This year given COVID-19, and the economic uncertainty that has accompanied it, these organizations need our help more than ever. Due to COVID-19 restrictions, LYDIA Home and MFS have requested Target and Amazon gift cards for the children and families they serve, instead of unwrapped items.
Here is the link to sign up for gift cards - https://www.signupgenius.com/go/5080848A5A728A20-central
We also learned that the children living at LYDIA have not been able to leave the facility very much since March due to COVID-19. To help lift their spirits, please consider having your child complete the mitten coloring sheet/card for the kids at LDYIA. Simply color and sign — we will fill in the names of the LYDIA children. You are welcome to submit as many sheets as you would like. The collection deadline for gift cards and the mitten notes is Monday, Dec. 14. More information about the organizations’ needs is in the SignUpGenius.
Join The PTA's Book Fair!
We are excited to partner with a favorite local book store this year: The Book Stall in Winnetka!
Click HERE for Central’s own page on the Book Stall website to find recommendations by grade, favorites of Central teachers, teacher wish lists and top holiday recommendations.
A portion of ALL sales will benefit the Central School PTA - please mention "Central School" when purchasing. Thank you, thank you for the support!
There's a shopping option for everyone!
· Reserve an appointment to shop in person (no waiting) by calling or booking online
· Stop in anytime 11/9-11/16 with a mask, social distancing (may need to wait in line)
· Call in your order: 847-446-8880
Kim Crossgrove: email@example.com
Amy Pawasarat: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Please participate in The Volunteer Center’s Thanksgiving Share Your Bounty! Fill a bag/box with the food items listed on their website. Drop the items off Thanksgiving morning, 10:00 am - 12:00 pm at 1600 W. Jonquil, Chicago. No contact drop off and masks are required. Check website for food items requested and additional information.
- Cub Scouts Pack 1 Welcomes all McKenzie students! Contact email@example.com to sign up.
- Covid Catch Up Tutors offers free virtual tutoring by qualified high school students for Pre-K through High School grade levels.
- Wilmette Food Pantry is open every Tuesday 10:30-11:30 am at Trinity United Methodist Church.
From the Nurse's Office
Call Central School "Attendance Line" For Absences: 847-512-6150
Central Health Office Website!!
Here is your go-to site for all of your health related questions including PE/Recess Notes, Health Requirements, Dental Examinations, Allergy and Asthma, Medications, Snacks in Classrooms, Lice, Influenza...and more!
Join us on Twitter!
Central School is on Twitter!
- We have TWO Twitter accounts. Please "follow" us at Twitter.com! Explore Central 39 (with our actual "handle" as @explorecentral). With this account, we mostly share student activities that are completed in the Learning Commons (but other activities are often included as well). We are also providing this Twitter feed on our Central School homepage.
- There is also a principal page @BeckyLittmann where you can follow a variety of school happenings including all-school events, classroom activities, PTA enrichment, and school goals.