Chapel of the Cross Faith & Family
Family Bible time for the week of June 14-June 20
Welcome to Chapel's Faith & Family!
God Helps Gideon
Who is your hero? Why?
God had chosen the people of Israel to be His special people. He promised to give them a special land. He promised to watch over them. He promised to bless them. He promised He would one day send a Savior for the world from their people. The Israelites promised that they would be God's people and only worship Him. God kept all His promises, but the Israelites didn't. They started worshiping false gods. So God caused another country to make trouble for them so they would turn back to God. Finally, God's people realized their sins and turned to God for help. Who would be the hero to save them?
Dear heavenly Father, thank You for sending Your Son, Jesus, the greatest hero, to overcome
our enemies of sin, death, and the devil. In Jesus’ name. Amen.
Bible Lesson: God Helps Gideon
- Open your family Bible or a Children's Bible storybook and read this account together OR
- Read this account using an online Bible (Biblegateway.com) Judges 7:1-23 OR
- Listen to the Bible account being read using the video below.
Talk about it
- What happened when God's people stopped following Him and started worshiping false gods?
- How did God help Gideon and his army?
- Who was the real hero of this Bible account?
- How does God help you?
When the Israelites turned away from God, God sent enemies to take over the land so that the people would see their sins and turn to God for help.
God wanted to show Gideon and the people that it was God's power that would defeat their enemies, not their own power. God chose scared Gideon and only 300 men to go against the enemy army of 135,000 men. With trumpets, torches, broken jars, and God's power, the enemy was defeated.
God was the real hero of this true Bible account. God is our hero too! Sometimes we turn away from God and forget Him, but God never forgets us. God is always watching over us. He wants us to come to Him when we have troubles. He loves us so much, He sent Jesus to be our Savior!
The Lord is my helper; I will not fear. Hebrews 13:6
Things To Do Together
The Lord's Prayer
Dear Jesus, Thank you for rescuing us from our biggest enemy--sin. Forgive us when we turn away from you. Thank You for always loving us, no matter what. In Your name we pray. Amen.
Bible Lesson: Concordia Publishing House
Chapel of the Cross--Lutheran
Our Core Values:
- Empowered by the cross of Christ
- People working together
- Opening the Word to all people
- Showing the love of Jesus
- Warm and supportive environment