A weekly update from the West Bloomfield School District
WBSD Weekly Update - September 11
Have a great weekend, Team WB!
Canvas Login Information
Additional Canvas resources can be found at www.wbsd.org/canvas.
Food Service Update - 2020-21 School Year
Please contact Anne Stevens with Nutrition Services questions at firstname.lastname@example.org or (248) 865-6733.
Apple Island: 50th Anniversary of WBSD Ownership Open House - Sept. 13
Virtually celebrate Apple Island’s 50th anniversary of WBSD ownership with island historian Christy Forhan through new island video, song, and images. Follow the Zoom link below or on the GWBHS website at gwbhs.org/events.
Meeting ID: 846 8315 8507
Blessings in a Backpack - Fall Update
Students eligible for the Free and Reduced Meal Program are also able to receive six non- perishable meals each weekend from the Blessings in a Backpack program at NO cost.
These bags of food will be passed out on Fridays in each child’s classroom for Preschool to grade 5 students, and in the School Office at West Bloomfield Middle School for grades 6 through 8 beginning October 9th.
Lakers on Line and West Bloomfield High School students can pick up their bags of food on Wednesdays at West Bloomfield Schools Nutrition Food Service’s Curb Side Pick Up Line at West Bloomfield High School from 6:30-7:30 am, from 11:30 am-12:30 pm and from 5:00-6:00 pm every Wednesday starting October 7th .
Contact email@example.com to sign up for this program.
WBHS Seeking Mentors for Personal Apprenticeship
West Bloomfield High School Professional Apprenticeship is seeking members of the local community to serve as mentors for students enrolled in West Bloomfield High School’s Professional Apprenticeship Course. Students will work a minimum of three hours per week without pay in exchange for the opportunity to gain further knowledge in their future career area of interest.
If you currently hold a position in the area of law, government, politics, education, business or non-profit and would be interested in serving as a mentor for our 11th and 12th grade students, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
WBHS seeking Medical Mentorship participants
If you currently hold a position in any area of health care, biomedical, research or non-profit and would be interested in serving as a mentor for our 12th grade students contact Christen.email@example.com
Little Lakers Virtual Preschool
Contact Laura at 248-865-6457 for more information to register for virtual preschool!
Watch Live Lakers Athletics Through the NFHS Network
Please see the attached flyer below for information on how to watch live action of Lakers Athletics for events in our Gymnasium and Stadium. Here is the link for our school page for the NFHS Network:
Cultivating Mental Health in the Era of COVID-19 - Sept. 30
in the Era of COVID-19
Webinar featuring Dr. Gretchen Moran Marsh
Wednesday, September 30
- Learn the different ways the pandemic is affecting people.
- Learn about the different components of depression and anxiety.
- Learn the tips and tricks on how to persevere through this unpredictable time.
Greater West Bloomfield Historical Society - School Memories
This month they'd like to collect your School Memories! Follow the link below to submit your stories!
WB Township Library Information
Online Learning Resources for K-12 Students for Homework, Study and Test Prep
- BrainFuse Online Tutors for K-12 students with live homework help from 4-10 PM (except holidays).
- Support for ACT, PSAT, SAT and AP exams, including study guides and online practice tests that offer instant scoring and personalized recommendations for improving scores.
- Information experts at the Library available to help students in person and by phone, email and text message.
Back to School Reading List
As summer ends and kids begin the new school year, it is important for them to keep their
reading and reading comprehension skills sharp. These themed lists focus on titles about
current events and student life.
Grab & Go Service
- Come into the buildings and browse circulating collections.
- Select materials to enjoy at home and pick up materials you’ve placed on hold.
- Ask for reader’s advisory or reference assistance.
- Use self-check stations to check out materials.
- Leave the building after about 45 minutes inside.
- Building occupancy is limited to 25% capacity.
- Masks are required in the buildings.
- Parking Lot Pick-Up curbside service is available at both the Main Library and Westacres Branch.
- The Main Library Drive-Up window is also open.
- Enjoy the latest eBook and eAudiobook titles
- Watch movies and TV shows
- Listen to albums and singles
- Read more than 3,600 magazines
- Keep up with news from national and international newspapers
- Use the Learning Resource Center to match what you want to learn with resources for preschool to high school students, as well as adults
No other use of building spaces will be available during Phase 2.
- Study spaces and computers are not available at either building.
- Frequently touched surfaces such as toys and play equipment, vending machines and water fountains are not be available.
Renew or request a library card
Ask at the Main Library Reception desk or the Westacres Branch Circulation desk. You can also
continue to renew or request a library card on the Library’s website.
Cub Scout Pack 101 Meeting
Start your adventure with Pack 101! We'll be having a short hike and scavenger hunt to learn about what Cub Scouting has to offer. Cub Scouts is open to both boys and girls in grade K though 5. If your home school is Doherty or Sheiko, then Pack 101 is for you!
When: Wednesday, September 16th.
Time: Stop by anytime between 5:30pm and 7:30pm.
Where: Woodland Hills Nature Park
Questions?: Contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org
Check out our district and building calendars in order to stay up to date on all events going on in our district!