BHS College Center News
Seniors make sure you are checking for application deadlines and emails! Submit applications online and if you need assistance in proofreading essays, have a teacher help you or come by room 401 and I will assist you.
SAT/ACT deadlines are listed in your Senior Year Guide booklet. Make sure you check the dates!!!
- Dec. 10th, 2015- Air Force Recruiter- sign up sheet in room 401 (Seniors/Juniors)
- Dec. 11th, 2015- Columbia College- lunch/info- sign up in room 401(Seniors/Juniors)
- Dec. 15th 2015- Students from College of Charleston at BHS to speak- room 401- lunch-(Seniors who applied or plan to apply to COC)
- Dec. 17th, 2015 USC Beaufort interviews-sign up sheet in room 401 (Seniors)
- Jan. 19, 2016- FAFSA workshop- Cyber Center 5:30-7:00 (Juniors/Seniors)
- Jan. 22, 2016- Field Trip to Winthrop-more info to come (Seniors-first priority)
- Feb. 29, 2016- SAT workshop for students- more info to come (Juniors/Seniors)
- Apr. 5, 2016- ACT workshop for students- more info to come (Juniors/ Seniors)
College Open Houses and Campus Tour Information
First glance days: Dec. 4, Feb 15, Mar 21,24,28
Includes campus tour and meet professors
For more information: http://www.andersonuniversity.edu/visit
Charleston Southern University
Personal visits: Monday-Friday 10:00- 2:00
First Look: Jan. 30, March 19
Call for more information: 1-800-947-7474
Register online: http://www.charlestonsouthern .edu/admissions/campusvisit/
Coastal Carolina University
2016 Open Houses
January 30, February 13, March 19, April 16, April 23, April 30
Register online: coastal.edu/admissions.visits.html
December 4, 2015
Register online: http://columbiasc.edu/openhouse
Winter Open House: Monday, January 18, 2016
Times: 9:00-2:30-lunch is included
Register online: http://www.cokercollege.edu/campus-visit.html
Francis Marion University
February 13, March 5, and April 9
Check in: 8:30
Register online at: http://www.fmarion.edu/fmuadmissions/openhouse
HBCU College Fair- hosted by Benedict College
Wednesday, March 23, 2016 9:00 am- 1:00 pm
Onsite interviews and acceptance to Seniors who qualify.
*Must bring official transcripts and SAT/ACT scores
Information provided to Juniors.
David H. Swinton Student Center
1600 Harden Street Columbia, SC 29204
Register onine: www.benedict.edu/nacdrao
Midlands Technical College
Senior Days: tour campus, complete application- free, explore programs, financial aid
Fridays- February 19, March 4, and April 15
Annual High School Visitation Day
Wednesday, February 10, 2016 8:30- 2:00 pm
For more information call : 1-866-853-1345 or email: firstname.lastname@example.org
North Greenville University
March 19, 2016
Check in 8:30- 9:00
Register online: http://www.ngu.edu/open-house.php
"Royal Open House"- a half day Saturday event for students and familiies
Saturday, March 19, 2016
For more information: www.queens.edu/visit-campus
January 16 10:00- 2:30
Register online: http://web.usca.edu/admissions/visit/schedule-a-tour.dor
Spring Campus Day: March 19, 2016
Hilton Head Getaway Campus, Bluffton, SC
Times: 8:30- 1:00
Meet faculty, explore majors, tour campus and lunch is provided
Register online: http://www.uscb.edu/admissions/visit-uscb/visitation-events.html
Scholarship Opportunities For Seniors!!!!
** Scholarship tips:
- Ask the colleges that you have been accepted to about the scholarships they offer. Apply for these!
- Ask your local community for connections: your church, parents' work, local organizations etc.- Apply for these- you have a foot in if you know someone!
- Apply for national scholarships- these have large pools of people so make yourself stand out!
Financial Aide, Scholarships, and Student Loans 101 Course
This is an online course offered by Lendedu. The course consists of 4 sections with 22 short lectures. It should take approximately 1 1/2 hours to complete. This is a great new resource!
See the attached link if you are interested:
Archibald Rutledge Scholarship Program
Applicants compete for approximately $2000 in creative writing, dance, music, theater, and visual arts.
Kittie Moss Fairey Educational Fund
Deadline: January 11, 2016
Applicants must be: SC resident, GPA 3.0 or above, have combined SAT- 1800 or ACT- 26, house income not exceeding $40,000, planning to attend 4 year college in SC.
To apply: www.csascholars.org
Going to Francis Marion University?
Apply for the McNair Scholarship
Covers full tuition, fees, room and board
- High school senior with 1100 or higher on SAT or 24 or higher on ACT
- GPA 3.0 or higher
- South Carolina resident
- Interest in a career in public service
- commit to study abroad and service learning opportunities
Camden-Lugoff Elks National Foundation's Most Valuable Student Scholarship
Applicants need not be related to an Elks member.
- High school seniors
- US citizen
- Judged on scholarship, leadership, extracurricular activities, work experience and financial need
- Deadline is December 4, 2015 www.elks.org/emf/scholars
Burger King McLamore Foundation Scholarship
Deadline to apply is December 15, 2015
Range of $1000- $50,000 scholarships
Judged on GPA, work experience, extracurricular activities, community service
I Have a Dream Scholarship
Deadline is January 31, 2016
$1500 scholarship for winner
Submit short online response to "What do you dream about?"
Leadership Enterprise for Diverse America
For high achieving Seniors with low income backgrounds
DEADLINE is: December 11, 2015
Palmetto Fellow Teaching Scholarship
DEADLINE TO APPLY IS DECEMBER 1, 2015!
The requirements are: high school seniors who have exhibited high academic achievement, a history of service to their school and community, and a desire to teach in SC.
Sweet and Simple Scholarship
Deadline is February 29, 2016
Write a short essay on given topic. $1500 scholarship for winner!
USC Geoscholar Scholarship
Deadline is March 25, 2016
Candidates who are academically talented in Geosciences, minority, and demonstrate financial need.
For more information: http://artsandsciences.sc.edu/seoe/undergrad/geoscholar-scholarship-program
** Don't forget to search other scholarship opportunities posted in Naviance.