EMDR & Ego States
Through The Internal Family Systems Looking Glass
Bruce Hersey in Sydney & Melbourne, Australia Jan/Feb 2019
Look for this workshop in Johnstown, PA summer of 2019!
..for more adventures in the Therapeutic Wonderland of EMDR & Ego States, but this time it is not exactly the same.
New dimensions afford fresh perspectives unseen the first time around.
What is it about EMDR that invites ego states to inhabit our psychotherapy office?
What can the Internal Family Systems model offer to explain and utilize this fact in our practice of EMDR?
A two-full-day didactic & experiential workshop offering a specific view of ego-states, in the context of EMDR therapy through an IFS lens, regarding their ubiquitous appearance, defenses, & relational phenomena. A conceptual bridge is formed between the two models, yielding additional language to enrich therapist-client communication about the client’s internal process, and much more.
Understand the importance of Self-Presence and the co-presence or activation of a Target Part in relationship to the Self. Cultivate and maintain Functional Dual Attention in the Assessment & Desensitization Phases using measurement scales (beyond SUD & VOC) relating to Self-Energy, state-binding affect & protective intention.
Alignment with Memory Reconsolidation research ala Coherence Therapy for additional precision in targeting underlying implicit memories, to increase the accuracy of identifying and elaborating appropriate positive and negative cognitions in the Assessment Phase.
These methods will be demonstrated via session clips or live with participant volunteers, and significant supervised practice time is planned for participants to learn by doing.
Sydney, Australia -- January 26 & 27, 2019
Melbourne, Australia -- February 2 & 3, 2019
Johnstown, PA summer of 2019!
A GPS for the Inner World of Ego States
The deck-of-cards imagery from Alice in Wonderland is replaced by a chessboard in the Looking-Glass world, where brooks and streams divide the landscape into squares - through which Alice advances to each next scene and action. Changes in time and spatial dimensions, as well as perspectives, via mirrors and opposites, characterize the journey.
Does any of this sound familiar to the EMDR therapist entering the world of Ego States? Most of us have entered this many-dimensional world with a two-dimensional map. Imagine a multi-dimensional map. That map is the Internal Family Systems model.
- Name one advantageous aspect of the IFS concept of Self that is not explicitly included in EMDR’s Adaptive Information Processing (AIP) system.
- Explain the relationship between Functional Dual Attention and Self-Presence.
- Describe the concept of energy as it applies to Protective Parts and how this can be measured and processed within EMDR.
- Describe the concept of energy as it applies to qualities of Self and how these can be measured and installed as a resource within EMDR.
- Name at least one way that IFS language can used in obtaining a NC, PC or VOC.
- Complete an IFS-Informed Assessment Phase target.
- Practice shifting targets from exile to protector, using IFS-Informed scales in Desensitization Phase.
- Describe & practice at least 3 IFS Interweaves in Desensitization Phase.
- Name the 4 steps of the Therapeutic Reconsolidation Process distilled from Memory Reconsolidation research by Coherence Therapy.
- Describe and practice obtaining precise negative cognitions in the Assessment Phase using Coherence Therapy concepts.
- Deepen your relationship with your parts-as-therapist based on the IFS model.
Workshop Leader and Consultant
An LCSW in private practice at Altoona, PA for the past 30 years, Bruce provides advanced consultation in IFS, EMDR, Clinical Hypnosis and Sex Therapy in person, by phone and Skype.
People attending Bruce's workshops have said:
"Really good workshop. Trainer and the concepts are enormously helpful!"
"You are great at creating a holding environment, and communicating the information clearly & supportively."
"Enjoyed the workshop very much."
"Great job incorporating all levels of experience with EMDR & IFS. Modeling of the interweaves was extremely helpful."
"Great training! Very helpful. Fun & professional. Thank you!"
"Thank you for your skillful presentation of this powerful collection of concepts & methods."
"Thank you so much for an incredibly powerful weekend of IFS & EMDR. It was really so helpful, and I am especially grateful for having seen you work in the demo. I'm much more confident incorporating EMDR into the IFS work that I love to do."