Holly Academy News & Views
October 2, 2020
Coffee & Conversation
The opportunity for communication is fundamental to the success of a school. To this end, the administrative team conducts "Coffee & Conversation" sessions approximately every six weeks. Our first session for this school year is Wednesday, October 21st, from 8:15am-9:15am. Unfortunately, this year you will have to provide your own coffee! We will be conducting this year's sessions virtually, through Zoom. This month we will run a "town hall" type session to discuss topical issues such as, COVID-19, virtual learning, health and safety, and any issues you want to discuss. Please watch the newsletter for the Zoom link as the date approaches.
It's great to be a Husky!
Drop off and Dismissal
We are asking all families to follow the guidelines for morning dropoff:
- Y5, Kindergarten and 1st grade students will enter the building though the main canopied entrance (M1). Parents may park in the parking lot and walk their students to the door. As a reminder, Parents are not allowed to enter the building after the first day of Y5 and Kindergarten. Please do not drop off students along the sidewalk.
- 2nd and 3rd grade students will enter the building through the west doors (M13) in the front of the building.
- 4th and 5th grade students will enter the building through the east doors (M12) in the front of the building.
- Middle school students may be dropped off at the middle school or in the front drop off lanes.
The following list is a brief overview of Holly Academy's dismissal procedures.
- The lane closest to the building will be designated for Y5/K families only.
- Please turn off your cell phone.
- Please stay in your lane.
- Staff will direct you to move forward or exit the parking lot.
- Be sure your sign (student last name, grade, and teacher) is clearly displayed.
- Turn on your right blinker when your car is loaded.
- Students may not exit vehicles once they have loaded.
Governor Whitmer's latest Safe Start Executive Order requires schools and school districts to publish weekly probable and confirmed COVID cases beginning next week. We will begin doing so this week.
As you know, when students present at home or at school with any symptoms that are on the COVID list they have to do one of the following.
- Provide a negative COVID test
- Complete 10 days isolation, improvement of symptoms, and no fever for 48 hours without fever-reducing medications
- Provide a physician's note stating that the student is okay to return to school
The weekly reporting we will publish outlines HA's response or a family's response to symptoms.
9/23: Student quarantined due to a parent's positive COVID test. The student will return to school on Oct 5.
9/23: "Close contact student" quarantined with no symptoms - negative COVID test.
9/24: Student sent home with possible COVID symptoms - negative COVID test.
9/28: Student sent home with possible COVID symptoms - negative COVID test.
10/2: One student sent home with possible symptoms.
Another great week in the books! This week, our in person Huskies began NWEA testing. NWEA testing will continue for Young 5 through 8th grade students. Grade level teachers will communicate testing dates to you. If your Husky is a blended student, they may come to school on testing days that fall on Tuesdays or Thursdays.
Next week begins NWEA testing for our virtual students. Testing dates for all students are as follows:
Wednesday, October 7: Reading Young 5’s through 8th grade
Monday, October 12: English Language Arts 3rd through 8th grade
Wednesday, October 14: Math Young 5’s through 8th grade
Friday, October 16: Science 3rd through 8th grade
Specific grade level testing times will be sent out on Monday to individual families.
We are extending the opportunity for our HVA students to come into HA to take their NWEA tests in person, rather than taking those tests from home. In order to create a schedule, all HVA families are being asked to fill out the following form by noon on Monday, October 5th. This deadline has been extended. Please fill out asap!
Parents who opt to have their student test from home will need to adhere to the following:
Run a diagnostic test on the device their student will be using to take NWEA.
Take a screenshot of the diagnostic result and send to the HVA teacher
Turn off any pop-up blockers on the testing device.
Testing will be scheduled at specific times. All tests will be proctored by HVA/HA staff.
Testing times are not optional, either remotely or in person.
Should you have any questions regarding testing, please email Mrs. Potteiger at email@example.com.
Picture Re-take Day
Picture re-take day is Monday, October 5th for all Huskies. Uniforms are required. In-person pictures will be taken in the morning. HVA students will have their pictures taken in the afternoon following the last name schedule below to allow for social distancing.
S-Z 2:00-2:30 pm
Pictures will be taken in the main gym. HVA and blended families should arrive at the gym at your scheduled time (masks, please). Only students will be allowed into the gym for pictures, parents must wait outside. Thank you for your support and cooperation. This is how we continually dare to be remarkable!
Our annual Spirit Week is the week of October 26th. If your Husky follows the daily theme he/she may dress down all week! It's great to be a Husky!
The USDA has extended the free meal program for all children 18 years and under and students with special needs through age 26. Holly Area Schools in partnership with Chartwells will be providing meals seven days per week. Children do not need to be present for a parent to pick up meals and students do not need to be enrolled in Holly Area Schools.
Meals may be picked up two days each week:
Monday - three meals (breakfast and lunch)
Thursday - four meals (breakfast and lunch)
Site times for meal pick-up:
Holly High School: 3:00-5:30pm
Groveland Manor: 3:30-4:00pm
Holly Elementary: 3:45-5:30pm
Oakhill Estates: 4:00-4:30pm
Hawaiian Gardens: 4:15-4:45pm
Meadow Lake: 4:45-5:15pm
Holly Hills: 5:00-5:30pm
- Oct. 5 - Picture re-take day
- Oct. 7 - Count day
- Oct. 7 - Social media share free dress down day
- Oct. 8 - PTO meeting at 8:15am - via Zoom
- Oct. 9 - Half day, dismiss at 11:30am - free dress down day
- Oct. 16 - PTO dress down day - $1.00
- Oct. 21 - Unity Day - wear orange or Stand Up to Bullying t-shirt to dress down
- Oct. 21 - Coffee & Conversation 8:00am - via Zoom
- Oct. 21 - Hearing re-test day for K, 2nd and 4th grades
- Oct. 23 - HAEF dress down day - $1.00
- Oct. 26-30 - Spirit Week
- Oct. 28 - Board of Directors meeting at 5:30pm - in the auditorium
- Oct. 30 - Half day, dismiss at 11:30am - free dress down day
- Oct. 31 - Happy Halloween
- Nov. 5 - PTO meeting at 8:15am - via Zoom
- Nov. 6 - PTO dress down day - $1.00
- Nov. 12 - Report cards go home
- Nov. 13 - PTO dress down day - $1.00
- Nov. 18 - Board of Directors meeting at 5:30pm - in the auditorium
Please join us via Zoom for our next PTO meeting on Thursday, October 8th, at 8:15am.
Join Zoom Meeting
Meeting ID: 836 9011 7029
We hope to see you there!