Tiger Choir Chronicles
Travis Tiger Choir Weekly Updates
August 28 - September 1
News for Everyone
What Did We Do Last Week?
- 1st, 2nd, and 4th period worked on basic interval drills during their sight reading time to improve ear training and reading skills.
- 3rd period has advanced to Key of F in their sight reading and is working on more complicated rhythm patterns.
- Every class is singing through both the Travis Alma Mater as well as the Star Spangled Banner on words in preparation for Tuesday's concert! We have not only worked on vowel sounds and tone quality, but also memorization, performing skills in following a conductor, and performing a cappella.
Students MUST have a $25 minimum paid in order to receive their polo shirt for this Tuesday's performance.
I greatly appreciate everyone's prompt attention to paying choir fees. I understand that every family's situation may be different so PLEASE do not hesitate to email me and let me know if your family needs an extension. As I told the students, finances should NEVER be the reason they can't participate in choir. I just need to be aware so we can make a payment plan that works for your family.
When you go online to pay, please be sure you select the correct choir fee. Students in Treble Choir (1st period), Tenor-Bass Choir (2nd Period), and Advanced Treble Choir (4th Period) are considered "Non-Varsity." Students in Chorale (3rd period) are considered "Varsity" and should pay the appropriate fee. However, students in a non-varsity class who wish to audition for the All-State process will want to select the "Varsity" fee as it includes the cost of the audition entry.
THANK YOU to our generous Tiger Choir Sponsors!
Support THS Tiger Choir
- Help by purchasing needed items from our Amazon Wishlist posted on the choir website . Each of the items on the list will help us stay organized and support students in their choir success while allowing us to use the budget funds to purchase large items, music, and other supplies.
- Become a Choir Sponsor! If you or your business would be interested in becoming a choir sponsor, please see the "Support THS Choir" page on the website, or email Mr. Miner for more information and how to donate!
- Schoology Assignment Week 3: Rhythm review and solfege in the Key of F. Please remember that students are welcome to come to the choir room anytime before or after school to use our class iPads to complete their assignment if they have issues completing it at home.
Assignments Past Due
- FORMS are now past due as a completion grade. If you're child has a "0" in Skyward, it is because I have not received their stapled form packet. The late-work policy does not apply to this assignment so as soon as your child returns the completed forms, the grade will be changed to 100. If your child has lost their forms, they are available on the choir website.
- Schoology Week 2 Assignment. The late work policy is in place for all Schoology assignments. Students' lack of planning or technology issues are not an excuse for late work. Students have been reminded throughout the week, and are also welcome to use the classroom iPads anytime before or after school to complete their assignment.
If you don't use Google Calendar, check out the choir website often where events are regularly posted and updated.
Parent Preview Concert
Tuesday, Aug 29, 2023, 07:00 PM
Travis High School, Harlem Road, Richmond, TX, USA
Homecoming Football Game
Call time: 6:15 pm
Uniform: Choir Polo and blue jeans.
Students are free to go after kick-off if they are not staying for the game.
Please note that transportation will NOT be provided for this event so please plan accordingly.
Friday, Sep 29, 2023, 07:00 PM
Edward Mercer Stadium, Lexington Boulevard, Sugar Land, TX, USA
- Thursday, August 31 & September 1: Dress fittings from 3:00 - 5:30 pm
Please continue to remind students that they need to be working on their All-State music. This is a requirement and expectation of ALL Varsity singers.
- We will be using Tiger Time each day to work on the District music. Please remind your child to bring their All-State music with them EVERY day. It needs to be solfeged with all measure numbers written in.
- Students will have mock auditions on September 5 & 7. THIS IS A MAJOR GRADE. Students will be graded on preparedness and overall performance. Practice tracks are posted in Schoology and students have been shown how to find them.