Benicia High School Panther Post
In this month's Newsletter:
- Calendar of Events
- Free Event: BigFuture Days from College Board for College Planning (all grades)
- Women's History Month Event
- Free Math Tutoring
- Athletics Update
- Yearbook Information
- College & Career Center Information
- Wellness Center with Student & Parent Resources
- PTSA Membership & Information
- Links to BHS Library, Panther TV & The Paw online Newspaper
- Links to Tech Support
- Work Permit Information
- March Breakfast & Lunch Menus - Information to Sign up for Free Meals
Upcoming Events at Benicia High School
- Friday, March 5th: Virtual Town Hall with Congressman Thompson at 3pm (info below)
- Tuesday, March 9th: School Site Council Meeting at 3:30pm
- Wednesday, March 10th: PTSA Board Meeting at 6:00pm
- Friday, March 19th: End of Grading Term
- Wednesday, March 24th: English Learner Advisory Committee Meeting at 5:00pm
- Friday, March 26th: Report Cards available via PowerSchool
- April 2-11: Spring Break
- Friday, April 16th: ASVAB Exam at BHS, 12:00-3:00pm (register with Ms. Marwick)
- Friday, April 16th: Class of 20221 Cap & Gown Distribution (Drive-Thru), 3:00-4:00pm
- Friday, May 31st: Holiday - No School
- Friday, June 4th: Last Day of School & End of Second Semester Courses
- Saturday, June 5th: Class of 2021 Graduation
Virtual Town Hall for BHS Students
Virtual Town Hall Meeting for BHS Students with Congressman Mike Thompson
Friday, March 5th, 3:00 p.m.
The format will be approximately 15 minutes for the Congressman to speak and a 45 minute Q&A with questions submitted by BHS students (Government classes) and moderated by the BHS Debate Team.
Questions about this event? Please email Ms. Gaines at email@example.com.
BigFuture Days for College Planning
College Board is hosting free virtual events for high school students to connect directly with college admissions representatives and take action on the most important steps for college.
BigFuture Day events are four hours long. You can drop in and out of the event at the times that work for your schedule. The College Panels and College Planning sessions will be recorded for future viewing. You need to register in advance to attend the live events and access the recordings.
At this virtual event you can:
Visit College Booths - Connect directly with colleges you're interested in by using the chat feature to talk with admissions representatives.
Attend College Panels - Hear from representatives at a range of colleges through regional and state panel discussions. Use the chat to ask questions and learn more from the speakers.
Listen and Learn at College Planning Sessions - Take key college planning steps at our sessions. Hear from experts on topics like financial aid and scholarships, essays and interviews, college applications and planning timelines and more.
How to Attend
You can register for any event and more than one. Register at: https://pages.collegeboard.org/big-future-days
Who: This event is meant for high school sophomores and juniors, but younger and older students are welcome. We also encourage parents/guardians to join along with their students.
BigFuture Days Northeast
Sunday, March 7, 1:00-5:00 PM
BigFuture Days West + Southwest
Tuesday, March 30, 2:00-6:00 PM
BigFuture Days Midwest
Sunday, April 18, 1:00-5:00 PM
BigFuture Days Southeast
Thursday, April 29, 2:00-6:00 PM
Update for BHS Athletics
We are very excited to see our student-athletes practicing and preparing for competition again. We are committed to all safety guidelines and recommendations from the California Interscholastic Federation (CIF), the California Department of Public Health (CDPH), Solano County Department of Public Health, and Benicia Unified School District. This means that we need every student-athlete to follow the new rules and be as safe as possible while at practice and elsewhere. Please check the BHS Athletics Webpage regularly as we will continue to update information there.
- We began what were considered "purple tier" sports earlier this month: Cross Country, Track & Field, Swimming, Golf, and Tennis.
- We are now able to expand to all outdoor sports, including: Softball, Baseball, Football, Soccer, and Water Polo.
- We are a part of the Diablo Athletic League and our league has decided to have 8 week seasons in place for most sports. We worked to spread out sports so that student-athletes can participate in more than one sport if they would like to do so.
- Softball began on February 26th with a pre-season camp and official practice on March 1st. Students interested in participating should contact Coach Grubbs at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Baseball will begin April 5th. Students interested in participating in pre-season conditioning and trying out should contact Coach Soto at email@example.com.
- Football began on February 26th with pre-season conditioning and official practice on March 1st. Students interested in participating in football should contact Coach Holden at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Boys Soccer will begin on March 8th. Practice dates, times, and the coaches' contact information will be added to the BHS Athletics webpage as soon as it is available.
- Girls Soccer will begin on April 5th. Practice dates, times, and the coaches' contact information will be added to the BHS Athletics webpage as soon as it is available.
- Girls and Boys Water Polo will begin on March 29th, at the conclusion of the Swim season. Practice dates, times, and the coaches' contact information will be added to the BHS Athletics webpage as soon as it is available.
- Sideline Cheer will begin practice in early March and the team will cheer at home football games. Tryouts for the 2020-2021 team occurred last Spring and students have been contact by their coach. To contact the coach, please email email@example.com.
- All student-athletes are required to wear a face mask at all times (including during heavy physical exertion/running) and to maintain 6 feet distance (except when unable to do so due to competition). Student-athletes are only allowed to be at their practice/competition facility during the designated time and not be elsewhere on campus or to congregate/hang out.
- All student-athletes are required to complete registration and submit all completed forms before they are allowed to participate in any pre-season conditioning, practices, or try-outs. The registration information can be found on the BHS Athletics webpage.
- No spectators are allowed for any sports while we are in the Purple Tier. Our League is discussing the possibility of limited spectators (immediate family of student-athletes only and then limited in number) when we move to the Red Tier. We are also working on plans to livestream competitions so that spectators can watch online.
- We are not yet cleared to begin any indoor sports: Volleyball, Badminton, Basketball, Wrestling. If this happens, it will likely happen with a move to the Orange or Yellow Tier for our County.
SAT/ACT Testing Requirements are Changing!
The University of California (UC) system has suspended SAT and ACT testing requirements through Fall 2024. If students have test scores they can submit them, but they will not be used in admissions decisions. SAT subject tests and the essay are no longer being offered by the College Board and therefore are no longer required. (See image below for University of California SAT/ACT information.)
California State University
The CSU system has suspended SAT/ACT testing requirements for Fall of 2022. No decision has been made beyond that term.
Private Colleges and Out of State
Requirements can vary greatly because private colleges are independent of a governing system. Be sure to research the testing requirements for each individual private university on their websites. If you can't find the information, contact Mrs. Marwick for help.
Out of State college requirements vary greatly because not all states locked down as strictly as California. It is also recommended to search on Google for individual school requirements. Contact Mrs. Marwick if you need help at firstname.lastname@example.org.
For Seniors who may need a copy of your transcript, there are two options:
1. Unofficial Transcript Request (free): Submit your request at http://bit.ly/3pzuoT5
2. Official Transcript Request: Benicia Unified School District uses Parchment for official transcript requests. Submit your order at https://www.parchment.com/u/registration/5649/account
Wellness Center & Drop In Hours every Friday from 11-Noon
DIRECT LINK TO VIRTUAL WELLNESS CENTER SITE
TheBUSD Virtual Wellness Center is now available online 24 hours a day to access tools to manage emotions, resources for seeking assistance, and ways to connect with staff at BHS and other Benicia schools. This support is for students, families, staff, and the community of Benicia.
Link to Drop In Hours Zoom Meeting for live services every Friday
Meeting ID: 778 0448 3501
Benicia High School SEL Group
Day: Thursday starts 2/18/21
Link: Join Zoom Meeting
Meeting ID: 959 3091 7776
Join our Solano County Office of Education Clinical team for weekly Benicia High School workshops. Each week’s workshop is different and driven by students’ interest. Students can talk about issues that are important to them and impact them or their loved ones. This is a space for students to be heard and gain tools to navigate challenges and/or expand their perspectives.
Also found under the RESOURCES: STUDENT tab in the Virtual Wellness Center and the Parent Wellness Padlet.
Free WebTalk Series on Mental Health Awareness Topics
Starting Thursday, March 4, 2021
In partnership with Mental Health California, the Sacramento County COVID-19 Collaborative (Sac Collab), a community-based model addressing county-wide impacts of the pandemic, provides mental health support via direct therapy, webinars, clinical webtalks, and virtual enrichment activities.
The webtalks are being presented as a "series" of events. You only need to register once to join their full line-up of clinical webtalks presented in partnership with HearYou.org. Please note: audience video and audio will be muted during each presentation, so attend and relax! If you have questions or comments, the chat feature will be available. You are welcomed and encouraged to invite friends and family, and to enjoy dinner while attending.
All webtalks are from 6:30 p.m. to 7:30 p.m.
There are 13 webtalks on various dates and on various topics!
Helping Your Children Engage in Distance Learning in Healthy and Productive Ways - a gathering of resources geared towards supporting parents in their efforts to support their children.
Social-Emotional Learning: Parent Workshops
Parents are invited to join us for monthly virtual workshops focused on supporting your child/children at home and yourself. All sessions will be hosted by the Benicia Unified School District Student Services Office and will be held via Zoom, no RSVP required.
LINK TO ZOOM WORKSHOPS
Questions? Contact Jessica Garcia, BUSD Mental Health Coordinator at email@example.com or (707) 704-7900
Thank you to PTG and PTSA groups for collaboration!
Interested in learning more about our PTSA or attending a meeting? We have a great time working together to support our school and our students - Join us! For more information or the link to our next Zoom meeting, email Suwannee.firstname.lastname@example.org.
Support PTSA all Year with Amazon Smile
Amazon Smile is now available on the Amazon app also!
Check out information and access resources from our school's libraries, including seasonal/celebratory specials!
Stay in the know with our online newspaper; including student articles about school news, arts & entertainment, sports, opinion pieces, politics and more. You can also access Panther TV, with weekly episodes on all that's happening at Benicia High!
Tech Support During Virtual Learning
Having trouble with your Chromebook or accessing class resources? Benicia Unified School District offers a Live Tech Support from 7:30 am to 4:00 pm. You can access this live support from the Technology Department web page on the BUSD website: https://beniciaunified.org/departments/technology/ and find the chat icon on the bottom right of the screen.
Student Work Permit Information
Great opportunities available in the new brochure for Benicia Unified School District Adult Education programs.
Free Meals for Students - Sign Up Today
Congress has approved a waiver for free meals for all children under 18 for this school year, including breakfast and lunch. Families must sign up to take advantage of the free meals. CLICK HERE for more information.
Please begin by filling out the initial participation form LINKED HERE if you have not already done so. There are three ways to pick up meals for students:
- Daily Meal Pickup: You may pick-up meals every day Monday-Friday at any of the school sites. Your child will receive lunch for that day and breakfast for the next morning.
- Early Meal Pickup: You may pick up meals early in the morning at Benicia High School at 7:00AM-9:00AM. If you are interested in the early meal pick-up, please SIGN UP USING THIS FORM and pick a pick-up time that is convenient for you. Please note that these meals will have to be reheated/prepared at home. We will provide heating/preparation instructions with those meals.
- Multi-Day Meal Packages: Starting Monday September 14th, multi-day meal packages will be available for pick up at Benicia High School on Mondays and Wednesdays. For Mondays, we will provide a two day supply of meals (Meals for Monday & Tuesday). For Wednesdays, we will provide a three-day supply of meals (Meals for Thursday, Friday, & Monday). These meals will be available to pick-up early in the morning and in the afternoon. Early Service Window: 7:00, 7:30, 8:00, 8:30, & 9:00. Midday Service Window: 11:00, 11:30, 12:00, & 1:00. To pick-up these meal packages, you would need to sign up at the link below.
Have questions? Please contact Food & Nutrition Services Director Tania Courtney at (707) 748-2758 or email her at email@example.com. You can also visit the BUSD Food & Nutrition Services website.
We are now distributing meals for the weekends and Holidays. Please call us to sign up!
707- 748 2758
BENICIA HIGH SCHOOL
BHS Vision Statement
Benicia High School will inspire learning with integrity in order to find personal success in an ever-changing world.
District programs, activities, and practices shall be free from unlawful discrimination, including discrimination against an individual or group based on race, color, ancestry, nationality, national origin, immigration status, ethnic group identification, ethnicity, age, religion, marital status, pregnancy, false pregnancy, termination of pregnancy, or related recovery, parental status, physical or mental disability, sex, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, gender expression, or genetic information; a perception of one or more of such characteristics; or association with a person or group with one or more of these actual or perceived characteristics.