Sara Beshai and Cleon Jackson
What Is Culture?
What is culture in your own words?
What goes into and makes up a culture?
Examples of cultures that have struggled in the past that remain relevant today
- In the Middle Eastern culture, many people are being wrongfully pinned as terrorists. "On Sept. 12, I was pulled off my train and my picture was broadcast worldwide next to Osama bin Laden's. I am an American citizen, yet I was associated with our country's worst enemy..."
- In the African American culture, blacks are being pinned as thieves and/or thugs. "Forest Whitaker, an Oscar-winning actor, was accused of shoplifting from an upscale deli in Manhattan..."
Culture Research: Tongan
- Mutual Respect
- Cooperative and Unified
- Loyal and Commited
Customs and Traditions
- A typical family unit may consist of adopted children, cousins and other distant relatives, alongside siblings and grandparents
- Sundays are devoted to church, family, and rest. Vsitors are expected to respect Sunday as a day of rest. Businesses and shops are closed by law allowing families to spend the day attending church for a relaxed day of worship and feasting.
- Mats are the most treasured possessions in Tongan households and are traditionally presented at births, weddings, funerals, and other special occasions.
- A well known traditional dance is the 'Lakalaka' which is performed by both men and women, sometimes in spectacular groups of up to a hundred. Dancers step their feet and move their arms in certain gestures, and decorations include beautiful bracelets, neck garlands, and the tekiteki (a feather headpiece).
Methods For Promoting Cultural Awareness
Statements That Affirm the Need for Acceptance
If Society Chooses to Discriminate Against Cultures:
Six Word Memoirs
- Black. White. Yellow. Red. Orange. Human.
- We're here together, deal with it.
- Know your neighbor, see them later.
Culture. Digital image. Self Care Catalysts. N.p., n.d. Web. 15 Apr. 2015. <http://www.selfcarecatalysts.com/files/2014-09/culture.jpg>.
"Culture." Tourism Tonga RSS2. N.p., n.d. Web. 15 Apr. 2015. <http://www.tongaholiday.com/things-to-do/culture/>.
Cyclone Ian. Digital image. Relief. N.p., n.d. Web. 15 Apr. 2015. <http://img.static.reliefweb.int/sites/reliefweb.int/files/styles/attachment-large/public/resources-pdf-previews/171986-ECDM_20140110_Tonga_Tropical_Cyclone_IAN.png?itok=IyCVbnHq>.
"Tongan Culture." Bahai. N.p., n.d. Web. 15 Apr. 2015. <http://www.bahai.org/chrome/national-pages/img/TO/feature-image.jpg>.
Tongan Culture. Digital image. Cache Boston. N.p., n.d. Web. 15 Apr. 2015. <http://cache.boston.com/universal/site_graphics/blogs/bigpicture/tonga_08_13/tonga3.jpg>.
Tongan Culture. Digital image. Cache Boston. N.p., n.d. Web. 15 Apr. 2015. <http://tongaholiday.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/04/Picture-066-710x575.jpg>.
Tongan Culture. Digital image. Matangitonga. N.p., n.d. Web. 15 Apr. 2015. <http://matangitonga.to/2014/01/17/challenges-tonga’s-mde-government-2014-election-year>.
Tongan Mats. Digital image. Beautiful Holidays. N.p., n.d. Web. 15 Apr. 2015. <http://www.beautifulholidays.com.au/pictures-travel/tonga/culture/wedding-mats.jpg>.
"Tongan Song - Loka Siliva." YouTube. YouTube, n.d. Web. 15 Apr. 2015. <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iVyOLg6M9w0>.