A Renaissance Artist
The Story of Michelangelo
- Michelangelo was able to do a lot of his work because of his patrons, including the Medici family.
- One of his most famous works is the painting of the ceiling in the Sistine Chapel.
- Michelangelo did not do only painting though, he did sculptures and architecture also.
- A work of architecture designed by Michelangelo were the Medici Chapel, a tomb chapel designed for two, young Medici dukes.
- One of his most famous works as a sculpture was David, a marble statue for a cathedral.
The Sistine Chapel
- Michelangelo painted the ceiling of the Sistine Chapel in 1508.
- He was commissioned by Pope Julius.
- This piece is so significant because Michelangelo changed the traditional format for ceiling painting.
- He set the standard for dramatic scenes in the future with this piece.
- I find this piece so interesting because I know it must have taken a while to paint and it is so elaborate and complicated.
- This piece does not represent any of the "ism's" very well because it has a lot to do with religion.
MLA Works Cited
- "File:Sistine Chapel ceiling left.png - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia."Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia. N.p., n.d. Web. 29 Jan. 2013. <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Sistine_Chapel_ceiling_left.png>.
- "Michelangelo Buonarroti." Encyclopedia of World Biography. Detroit: Gale, 1998. Gale Biography In Context. Web. 9 Jan. 2013.
- "Michelangelo di Lodovico Buonarroti Simoni." Science and Its Times. Ed. Neil Schlager and Josh Lauer. Vol 3. Detroit: Gale, 2001. Gale Biography In Context. Web. 13. Jan. 2013.
- "Michelangelo - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia." Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia. N.p., n.d. Web. 29 Jan. 2013. <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michelangelo>.