GISD Assessment Dept News
4th and 7th grade writing will be one day—Tuesday, March 29th. Other STAAR tests 3-8 will be reduced in length by 5-8 ques ons (no embedded eld test ques ons) for 2016, HB 743 http://tea.texas.gov/student.assessment/staar
SSI applies this year for grades 5 and 8 and will include both Math and Reading
All STAAR assessments will be moving to a standard progression approach from 2015- 16 through 2021-22, with smaller increases every year than previously proposed with Phase II. (see link -http://tinyurl.com/nbhdrgu and http://tinyurl.com/nnomqul )
Campus Testing Coordinators (CTCs) - we are in the process of creating a livebinder with all materials needed for tes ng. We will send you an invite soon for access.
CBAs purpose—to be used as formative assessment data, and to inform instruction.
CBAs should not be used for a grade or increase the testing burden on a campus.
New this year in the 2016 District and Campus Coordinator Manual
There will be only one form of each STAAR assessment in grades 3-8. Therefore, form number information will be removed from test booklets and answer documents (due to HB 743—see above)
TEA will collect data on student’ answer documents during spring 2016 assessments on the time it takes students to complete the assessments.
HB 2349 requires us to identify students who have moved to Texas from out-of- state within the past year on state assessment documentation. How to report will be determined soon.
We will no longer have pre-coded labels for answer documents. All documents will be pre-coded so no need to affix labels.
Standard Oral Administration (SOA) subjects have stayed the same-4th grade math and reading, 5th grade science, 6th and 7th grade math and reading, 8th grade science and social studies
STAAR A and STAAR L will go back to being an on-line test (December 2015 EOC retests were paper only)
Please use the following link for 2016 assessment considerations for students with disabilities (triangle with possible accommodations): http://tinyurl.com/otntmrf
TAKS on-line registration for out of school students is open until February 5th
Testing will be done at Richarte HS, Februrary 29-March 3
ESL / Bilingual Assessment News
Online basic training will be required for new raters who have not calibrated in three school years.
New on-line training site will launch in January, 2016 and we will all be making new accounts. We will only have two calibrations but if a rater does not pass second calibration attempt, they will work with a TELPAS certified rater. Links scheduled to be open on January 11, 2016. Additional communication will be sent to TELPAS Campus Coordinators.
All calibration testing must be completed in a monitored setting—more information at training– February 5, 2016
For TELPAS Campus Coordinators—all campus Holistic training must be done by February 15, 2016 and TELPAS reading training by March 4, 2016.
Spring TELPAS - we will have a writing audit—more information soon
Computers will need to be updated with TestNAV 8 for spring on-line testing (Technology is working on that)
2016 TELPAS Rater Manual and Reading Manuals are available on line at the link below.
Hard copies will be given to campuses as soon as they arrive.
Scheduling Monitored Calibration Sessions
• Both new and returning raters must complete calibration in a monitored session. New raters (and those who have not completed calibration in the last three school years) must complete the online basic training course before attending a calibration session. All raters must receive administration procedures training prior to completing any holistic rating training.
• Monitored calibration sessions must be completed before students may be holistically rated for TELPAS. The number of calibration ses-sions needed for each campus or district will depend on the number of raters needed to serve the ELLs on each campus.
• Raters will need 1-2 hours to complete a calibration set. If needed, calibration sets 1 and 2 can be completed in one session or in separate sessions as time allows. Raters must finish a calibration set once it is started. They will not be able to save their progress and return later to complete a calibration set.
• Each calibration session must be actively monitored. A person designated as a proctor should be scheduled for each session. A testing coor-dinator or administrator who has received administration procedures training may serve as a proctor.
• Raters will need to complete calibration activities individually within the monitored group session. In order to accomplish this while listen-ing to student samples, the use of headphones is required. Computers used for training should meet minimum system requirements. A printer should be available for printing certificates.
LPAC / TELPAS (ESL Lead/ Bilingual Lead Tool) Live Binder
English I EOC Provision TAC 101.1007
*****For ELLs who ―
- have been enrolled in U.S. schools 3 school years or less (5 or less if qualifying unschooled asylee/refugee)
- And have not yet attained TELPAS advanced high reading rating
- When enrolled in English I/ESOL I course, eligible ELL shall not be required to retake assessment each time it is administered if student passes course but does not meet standard.
Students are not exempt from testing while in the course.
Provision does not apply to English II.
Provision is not tied to any particular graduation plan.
*****Special Provision and the Individual Graduation Committee – SB 149
ELLs who qualify for the Special Provision for English I are required to complete IGC requirements for English I in addition to the other course in which the student failed to achieve the EOC assessment performance requirements.
Mark Your Calendars...
K-5 AIMSweb Reading and Math Screener #2—January 5-15
Examinations for Acceleration –January 7, 8
6th-8th Math COMP Screener #2—all stu-dents-January 5-15
6th-8th MOY AIMSweb Reading Screener #2-January 5-29
PK—Mid-Year Assessment—January 5-February 5
List of Secondary GT referrals due to Assess-ment Office—January 5-22
GT testing Kinder—January 5-22
4th grade—Writing CBA—January 11-15
7th grade—Writing CBA—February 1-12
GT, Grades 1-12, testing window—January 25-February 12
CBA #3 5th and 8th grade Math and Reading - February 15-29
CBA #3 3rd, 4th Math and Reading, 6th, 7th Math and Reading, 8th Science, 9th-11th
Science, Math, ELAR—February 29-March 10
TELPAS Writing window—February 15-March 28
TAKS for OOS—February 29-March 3
Test Hound Training for CTCs—January 11
STAAR Alt 2 training—January 26
TELPAS Holistic and Test Security Training for CTCs—February 5, AM or PM
TELPAS Online Reading Training for CTCs—February 11, AM or PM