An object's overall change in position
- how far you have gone in a certain direction; distance with direction; how far you are from your
- a point of reference
- does NOT always equal distance traveled
- can be negative
- will vary
Displacement = change in position = original position minus initial position
1. If Junior walks from the mountains foot to the aurbor tree, a total of 3000 feet, and then returns back to his camp at the mountain. What was his displacement?
2. Caesar walks 20 meters west to Ms. dicksons classroom then walks 30 meters east back to the office. What is his displacement?
3. True or false? Since distance can't be negative, Displacement can't be either
4. What is Emerald's displacement if she walks 3 blocks east, 2 blocks north, 1 block west and 2 blocks south.
1.0 displacement. 2. 10 m east 3. False 4. 2 blocks east