News You Can Use for September 12, 2022
From the Principal's Desk...
Larson Elementary Families,
The start of this new year has ushered in so much for which we are all so thankful. Classrooms are brimming with our students’ happy, smiling faces. Teachers have returned with a renewed commitment to engaging lessons. Teachers are collaborating weekly in their professional learning communities brainstorming on how to best meet the needs of all their students. We are blessed to be able to offer devices for student use more consistently than ever before. We are now a 1:1 district with regards to technology. We are all thankful to our parents and guardians for your support during drop off and school dismissal, your unwavering patience as we work with our bus services, and most importantly for all the work you do with your children at home with their homework, study skills, citizenship, and how you have taught your students to be so caring, respectful, and just wonderful. We all feel blessed to serve in this community. We are so happy to have so many of our students choosing to be engaged in the extra- curricular offerings here at Larson. XC Running for 4th and 5th Grade, Flag Football, Art Club, Lego Club, Girls Who Code, Choir, and Band have all started up for the year. Again, we thank you for your willingness to allow your student to be involved in these wonderful programs. It’s been a great start to the year so far, and I am looking for the year to get just better and better every day!
As always, feel free to contact us here at the school anytime you have questions.
NO REGULAR EDUCATION BUSES ON MONDAYS AND FRIDAYS!
Due to the ongoing bus driver shortage, Larson Elementary WILL NOT have buses on:
MONDAYS and FRIDAYS
(All Special Education Buses are Running)
We are asking parents/guardians of regular bus riders to please pick up their students in the curbside carline between 4:00pm - 4:20pm. This will allow regular pick-up students to clear the parking lot to make room for all the extra pick-up students. It prevents congestion in our parking lot and helps us tremendously. Larson families have been so cooperative and understanding. We appreciate that more than you can imagine! Keep up the great work!
As always, if you have any questions, please call the front office at 907-352-2300.
Join us for Our Annual Title I Meeting/Goodies with Guardians Event!
- Where: Larson Elementary
- When: Tuesday, September 27th
- Time: 8:00 am – 9:15 am
Parents/Guardians are invited to have breakfast snacks with their student in the gym, and to hear about our Title 1 Funding. Door Prize Tickets will be handed out, and winners will be posted on our website and Facebook page on Wednesday, September 28th.
We hope to see you there!
A Reminder from Our Recess Monitors...
We look forward to a fun-filled year at recess!
Miss Tiara and Miss Hope
Howdy Larson Parents!
It’s great to be back in the library with your students again. Here’s some helpful information to make library checkout a great experience.
K-1 Students will begin checking out books at the end of September after we have completed a thorough unit on how to take care of library books. The cost of books, like everything else has gone through the roof and I want to do everything I can to make sure your child understands how to care for their library books so we don’t have to replace many this year.
Library Tip of the Month
The surest way to keep library books safe is to have a special place where library books are located when they’re home with your child. Library books that have a special place like a shelf or end table to live on are easily found when it’s time to return them.
New this Year
The book check out limit has changed this year:
- Grades K-1 can check out 1 book at a time
- Grades 2-3 can check out 2 books at a time
- Grades 4-5 can check out 3 books at a time.
This is to encourage students to actually read the book and return them in a timely fashion instead of sitting in backpacks unread until it’s time to return them. Books assigned by teachers will not count toward their checkout limit so kids are not penalized for being assigned reading by a teacher.
Attention Cross Country Runners!
Larson x-country is underway! Larson runners will have the opportunity to compete in three different races this year!
- September 15th: Meet at Shaw Elementary – start time 4:30 pm (parents must transport)
- September 22nd: Knight Invite at Colony High School - start time 5:00 pm (parents must transport)
- September 28th: District Wide Meet at Palmer High School – racing starts at 3:00 pm at the Palmer High X-Country Course (bus transportation will be provided from Larson Elementary to the event – students depart Larson at 12:30 pm – parents are responsible for pick up)
Contact Coach Foster at (907)352-2329 or via email at email@example.com for more information.
Are You Interested in Joining Our Family Teacher Association (FTA)?
Join us for our next meeting!
- When: Thursday, October 13th
- Where: Larson Library
- Time: 4:15pm
A fun FTA event happening soon is the 4th Annual Laps for LARSON!! TRAILS EDITION!
- When: Saturday, September 17th
- Where: Alcantra Trails (parking lot past Larson)
- Time: 10:00am – 11:30am
- Cost: $5/entrant -- $15 Family cap
The 5 senses scavenger hunt will be available for families to complete to win a prize!
FTA Popcorn Fridays are Back!
Don’t forget your quarters! Each bag of this delicious treat is 50 cents. For your convenience, we are now offering a way to prepay for your popcorn! Parents can pre-pay for a whole year of popcorn for $10.00. Prepaid students will be highlighted on the bi-weekly popcorn order forms and will receive a bag every popcorn Friday! More information to come! (all benefits proceed the FTA)
4th/5th Grade Flag Football has Begun at Larson!
- September 15th: Larson -vs- Shaw (at Larson) 4:30pm
- September 22nd: Snowshoe -vs- Larson (at Snowshoe) 4:30pm
- September 23rd: Iditarod -vs- Larson (at Iditarod) 4:30pm
- October 1st: Tournament at Teeland (Times to be Announced)
Call the front office with any questions.
Message From the MSBSD Office of Instruction...
If you have questions about your child’s instruction and the Multi-Tiered System of Supports process (MTSS), please contact your child’s teacher. Please read the letter below.
The MSBSD Office of Instruction
Click HERE for more information about MTSS on the MSBSD website.
- September 12th: PLC Monday Late Start Day (10:15am start time)
- September 12th: No Bus Day
- September 13th: Lego Club, Room 207 (8:15am - 9:00am)
- September 15th: X-Country Meet at Shaw (4:30pm)
- September 15th: Flag Football Game vs Shaw (at Larson) 4:30pm
- September 16th: No Bus Day
- September 16th: Art Club Grades 4 and 5 (8:15am - 9:00am)
- September 17th: Laps for Larson...Trails Edition! (10:00am - 11:30am)
- September 19th: PLC Monday Late Start Day (10:15 am start time)
- September 19th: No Bus Day
- September 20th: Lego Club, Room 207 (8:15am - 9:00am)
- September 22nd: Fall Picture Day
- September 22nd: X-Country Knight Invite at Colony High (5:00pm)
- September 22nd: Flag Football Game vs Snowshoe (at Snowshoe) 4:30pm
- September 23rd: Popcorn Friday
- September 23rd: Art Club Grades 4 and 5 (8:15am - 9:00am)
- September 23rd: Flag Football Game vs Iditarod (at Iditarod) 4:30pm
- September 26th: PLC Monday Late Start Day (10:15 am start time)
- September 26th: No Bus Day
- September 27th: Goodies with Guardians/Title I Meeting (8:00am - 9:15am)
- September 27th: Lego Club, Room 207 (8:15am - 9:00am)
- September 28th: X-Country District Meet at Palmer High School (bus departs Larson at 12:15pm)
- September 30th: No Bus Day
- September 30th: Art Club Grades 4 and 5 (8:15am - 9:00am)
- October 1st: Flag Football Tournament at Teeland (Times TBA)
- October 13th: Family Teacher Association Meeting (4:15pm)
- October 14th: End of 1st Quarter
4th /5th Grade Boy's and Girl's Basketball Begins in October - Permission Forms will be sent home in the near future and will be available on our website www.matsuk12.us/lre