"Sea the way you can make a difference" Emma Lasecki Hour 4
- Oceanographers study oceans, ocean floors, the coastline, marine plants, and marine animals.
- Their findings help other researchers in different professions.
- Usually oceanographers work and research alone.
- Oceanography includes five basic areas: physical, chemical, geological, biological and marine.
- Oceanographers do their work by or in the ocean.
- Some oceanographers choose to work for universities or for the government.
- Most people seeking a job will find good employment opportunities in Wisconsin and around the nation.
- Oceanographers use many complex instruments to do research and collect samples.
- On average oceanographers make about $68,570 annually.
- To be a oceanographer you need a minimum of a bacholers degree.
Pros and Cons
- Oceanography has many challenging and exciting aspects to it due to the amount of reasercher and work put into the job.
- Oceanography uses a lot of interactive and hands on working because of all the time studying and gathering samples.
- Oceanographers get to experience the adventures of working and living by the sea which is where they will spend most of their time working.
- Oceanographers get paid well because they get paid 68,570 and the nation average is about 50,760 dollars annually.
- Oceanographers usually work far away from home which would be hard if you are really close to your family.
- Oceanographers spend a lot of time working and researching alone which could be difficult to deal with if you like being social.
- Oceanographers could work odd many hours such as weekends and during the night time.
- Oceanographers do lots of diving which could be physically demanding because if you aren't a strong swimming could be difficult for you.
What I Need to do in High School and College
Government positions require to have a minimum of a bachelor's degree in oceanography. However, individuals are encouraged to attain a master's degree. Most employers prefer to hire individuals who have a master's degree. People who want to teach at the university level or conduct research must have a doctorate. The successful completion of an examination is required for licensure in most states. Employers generally contact universities for qualified graduates. Employers may advertise in professional publications. The federal government hires applicants based on their civil service examination scores.
Hawai'i Pacific University
• It also does not have a expensive tuition to attend the school, the out of state tuition is only $22,160.
• At the school there is also a variety of sports or clubs you could join, overall there are over 50 clubs and sports there.
• There's a big gap between the amount of girls and boys that attend the school, there are about 330 girls and 450 boys.
•Although they offer many clubs and sports, some sports aren't offered there. For example swimming is a sport I am interested in but it isn't offered at the university.
North Carolina State University
•They are also a division one school which is good for the students who wish to participate in sports.
•Another plus is that the expense to attend the school from out of state aren't too high at a cost of $21,200.
•Also the amount of male student is almost doubled compared to female students.
•Also there are a lot of applicants to this school so you will be competing to attend.
University of Michigan-Ann Arbor
•The school also offers almost 50 clubs and sports to join, which is good for students who want to participate in extracurricular activities.
•The school also has about the same amount of girls and boys that attend.
•The school also doesn't have a very diverse ethnic race of people who attend there with 80% of the people being white.
•Also a lot of people apply to the school so there will be competition to get into the school.
Job Advertisement for an Oceanographer
Hawai’i Pacific. “Why to Study at HPU.” Hawai’i Pacific University. HPU, n.d. Web. 17 Jan. 2016. <http://www.hpu.edu/CNCS/Departments/Natural_Sciences/Chemistry/>.
National Ocean Service. “Oceanographers.” Ocean Service. NOAA, n.d. Web. 17 Jan. 2016. <http://oceanservice.noaa.gov/facts/oceanographer.html>.
North Carolina State University. “NCSU.” Global Institution of BioExploration. NCSU, n.d. Web. 17 Jan. 2016. <http://www.gibex.dreamhosters.com/north-carolina-state-university/>.
The Regents of the University of Michigan. “Student Life.” University of Michigan. UM, n.d. Web. 17 Jan. 2016. <https://studentlife.umich.edu/parents/article/wellness-zone>.
Scripps Institution of Oceanography. “Careers in Oceanography.” Scripps Institution. UCDS, n.d. Web. 17 Jan. 2016. <https://scripps.ucsd.edu/education/careers>.