Common Core Math 8 - Mrs. Bustin
January 20, 2015
Hello Davis Drive Middle School Parents
Welcome to the first issue of the Math Matters Newsletter. My intent for this weekly newsletter is to keep you up to date on what we are doing in Common Core Math 8. I have also included some interesting Math Facts and Games to get you and your child as crazy about Math as I am.
Unit 9 - Identifying Functions
- In this unit we are investigating rate of change. This will get students ready to discover the relationship between a constant rate of change and slope.
- This week students will be able to:
- describe the domain (x) and range (y) of a relation (set of ordered pairs)
- determine if a relation is a function.
- On Friday, we will review second quarter concepts in order to get ready for the Math benchmark on Tuesday.
- Jan. 24 - Reports cards will be sent home with students.
- Jan. 27 - 2nd Quarter Math Benchmark - please remind your child to bring their calculator
- Jan 28 - Quiz on Functions and Relations
In Latin and English, the term "mathematics" was originally used to denote astrology and sometimes astronomy. In the 1st century A.D., Christians were warned to be aware of "mathematici". St. Augustine was trying to warm them about astrologers not mathematicians.