History & Impact
What is golf and What Impact Does It Have On Our Society.
Economically: Golf, economically, has inspired companies to make fashions based off of golf, such as Polo Ralph Lauren. Polo now-a-days are very common and it has made quite a big name for itself in the marketplace.
Politically: Golf, politically, has impacted society because lots of famous people, with or without power play golf.
Socially: Golf, socially, is seen as a very high classed sport, because it was a game of patience, time, elegance,and of royalty. Many Kings and queens fancied golf as a sport.
History of Golf
- 100 BC- A Roman game known as paganica, in which participants used a bent stick to hit a stuffed leather ball.
- 960-1279- Games similar to golf called chuíw án was played during in China during the Song Dynasty
- 15th Century- origin of modern golf traced back to Scotland
- 1457- Scottish Parliament banned golf because it was interfering with archery practice which was necessary for national defense
- 1500- King James IV lifts the ban on golf when he takes up the game himself
- 1567- Mary Queen of Scots plays golf just days after the murder of her husband Lord Darnley
- King James VI ascends to the English throne and his court begins playing golf at Blackheath in London
- 1724- golf balls being stuffed with feathers
- 1729- first known reference is made to golf in the USA with clubs being recorded in the estate of William Burnet, the Governor of Massachusetts
- 1744- first rules of golf are set by Honourable Company of Edinburgh Golfers
- Society of St Andrews Golfers is formed and became the Royal and Ancient Golf Club of St Andres in 1834
- 1764- St Andrews old course is reduced from 22 holes to 18 holes which is now the universal format for the game
- 1848- The gutta percha ball is introduce which was the first sold ball.
- 1860- first open championship is played at Prestwick and is won by Willie Park Senior of Scotland
- 1890's- Persimmon becomes a popular wood for making club heads
- 1893- Ladies Golf Union is formed in the UK
- 1894- The United States Golf Association (USGA) is formed in New York
- 1900- Golf is played at the Paris Olympics
- 1901- first Professional Golfers Association (PGA) is formed in the UK
- 1904- Golf is played for the second time in the Olympic Games in St Louis
- 1916- PGA of America is formed
- 1929- Steel shafted clubs are accepted by the R&A
- 1950- Ladies' Professional Golfers' Association (LPGA) is formed in the USA
- Metal woods made of stainless steel are introduced
- 2000's-Materials such as graphite, titanium, carbon fibre and tungsten are used to manufacture golf clubs
- 2016- Golf will be played at the Olympics in Rio de Janeiro for the first time in 112 years