Hillside News Brief
April 9, 2021
Dates for You
April 13 and April 15 - 6th Grade Parent Information Nights at Westside Middle School
April 22 @ 6:00 p.m. - Kindergarten Orientation Night (bring your kindergarten student)
April 23 - No school for teachers and students (District Music Festival)
March Student of the Month Virtual "Assembly"
I am so sorry the Student of the Month video inadvertently was omitted from our last newsletter. It is worth sharing! Congratulations to all!
5th & 6th Grade Message re: Human Growth and Development
To families of 5th and 6th grade students:
The 5th and 6th grade students at Hillside will be studying the changes of puberty that usually begin about this time in students’ lives (puberty can begin as early as age 8 or 9). Our coursework will involve identifying and discussing the physical, emotional, and social changes that typically occur as a result of the hormone changes taking place.
Our students and teachers will be separated into male and female classrooms. Mr. Maloley (school counselor) and Mr. Korbelik (physical education instructor) will provide this instruction to our male students beginning Monday, April 19th and concluding on Thursday, April 22nd. Mrs. McGuire (Assistant Principal) and Mrs. McKevitt (School Psychologist) will be teaching the content below to our female students. Each class of students will receive a lesson on content pertaining to the listed resources below. If you wish to have your child removed from this instruction, please contact Mrs. Bailey (Principal) (402) 390-6451, by Friday, April 16th.
Content and information used for this instruction will be taken from the resources below.
1. Children’s Hospital & Medical Center.
“Passage into Puberty” – 5th Grade
2. F.L.A.S.H. (Family Life and Sexual Health) Seattle and King Co.
“Puberty” – 6th Grade
3. 5th Grade video links:
Always Changing About You (Boys Only) Video:
Always Changing About You (Girls only) Video:
4. K-12 National Sexuality Education Standards
Mr. Korbelik, Physical Education Teacher
Hillside is participating in a Food Drive for Food Bank of the Heartland!
There will be a donation box located in Hillside's main office from now until April 15. Please consider sending what you can to fill it up! Thank you!
Attention Current 6th Grade Parents
Westside Middle School will be hosting a 6th grade parent information night on Tuesday, April 13th and Thursday, April 15th. We will be practicing social distance protocols, therefore this event will be limited to two parents/guardians. Students do not need to attend as they will receive the information during the Warrior Walkabout on Friday, May 14th. Topics that will be covered; Schedule, General Expectations, Grading, and Activities. We will be offering two sessions each night to allow for social distancing, you only need to attend one. Please access the sign-up genius link to get signed up.
- Session 1: 6:00pm-7:00pm
- Session 2: 7:15pm-8:15pm
Westside Middle School
Elementary Instrumental Music Celebration Concert Information
Band and String Families, Band and Strings instructors are excited to announce the district wide end of the year celebration concerts! Each performer may have 4 guests in attendance with them at these events. Info about safety requirements and practices will be sent home as the dates approach. Please add the appropriate date and time for your student to your family calendars and reserve the night for this event. We cannot wait to gather together for a live performance to celebrate all that these students have accomplished as musicians throughout this unprecedented year!
Mrs. CJ, Mr. Freeman, Mrs. Matheson and Dr. Meints
Fifth Grade Band Students
Tuesday, May 18, 6:00 pm, Westside High School Gym
Sixth Grade Band Students
Tuesday, May 18, 7:30 pm, Westside High School Gym
Fifth Grade String Students
Thursday, May 20, 6:00 pm, Westside High School Gym
Sixth Grade String Students
Thursday, May 20, 7:30 pm, Westside High School Gym
Championship Martial Arts COVID Safety Precautions
At Championship Martial Arts, safety is our top priority. In order to best serve our students and community, we have introduced a COVID-19 Safety Protocol to help keep our dojo sanitized, our staff and students healthy, and our community thriving. We ask that you please adhere to the following guidelines:
1. We do our best to maintain appropriate social distancing within the dojo at all times.
2. All staff, parents, and students will be required to wear a mask at all times while in the dojo.
3. We will take everyone's temperature at the front door, with a contactless thermometer.
4. Students are allowed to enter the dojo 5 minutes before their class, as we let the class before them exit and then clean the mat, equipment, and any touch surfaces between each class. There are markings on the sidewalk outside to encourage social distancing while students wait to enter the dojo.
5. All students must use the provided hand sanitizer upon entering the dojo, and before stepping onto the mat.
6. We ask that any persons who are ill or symptomatic not come into the dojo, and parents must notify us if anyone in their family or close circle has been exposed to or tested positive for Covid-19; and if so, all must follow the Health Department's guidelines.
7. Hand Sanitizer is available in 5 stations throughout the dojo.
8. At this time, we ask that only 1 parent/guardian accompany each student so that we can keep the numbers in our observation area lower.
April is School Library Month!
Westside Early Childhood and Club 66 Summer Programs
Specials Information for Extended Campus Learners
Extended Campus students should access their specials classes and assignments through the Specials App. The classes match the rotation of in person students.
Club 66 Registration Dates
Monday, April 5th - Club 66 (WCS Kindergarten - 6th grades) registration for currently enrolled families
Monday, April 19th - Club 66 (WCS Kindergarten - 6th grades) enrollment is open to all families
2021 SUMMER REGISTRATION DATE
Monday, March 1st - Enrollment open for all ages and families
To have a registration link sent to you, please contact Hillside's Club 66 site director Linsey Messerschmidt at 402-884-3825 or at firstname.lastname@example.org
Positive Behavior Intervention and Support (PBiS) at Hillside
Recognizing appropriate behavior:
Students who are demonstrating appropriate behavior receive verbal praise, ("Thanks for doing that right away," "Nice job walking in the hallway") and, at times, a Tiger Ticket to turn in to a drawing for prizes or privileges. We are committed to letting students know we appreciate their hard work. A great majority of our students know our school rules (Be respectful, Be responsible, Be safe) and abide by them each and every day.
PBiS Skill of the Week
- Wait for a moment - say nothing
- Take a deep breath
- Think about choices: 1) ignore the person; 2) talk to the person in a friendly way; 3) do relaxation exercises; 4) write about your feelings; 5) talk to someone; 6) do another activity
- Act on your best choice
Our school works on different skills weekly; students can practice this every day!