The Lake Ridge Bridge
September 12-16, 2022
Need translation other than English? Click on the Translate button. You will be able to translate the newsletter to your desired language.
¿Necesita otra traducción además del inglés? Haga clic en el botón Traducir.
هل تحتاج إلى ترجمة غير الإنجليزية؟ انقر فوق الزر "ترجمة".
Cần dịch khác tiếng Anh? Nhấp vào nút Dịch.
From the Principal
Dear Parents and Guardian,
It's hard to believe, but we are on week #5 of the school year. This week we are kicking off our Theme Days which will continue for the remainder of the school year. With that being said, your child/children will enjoy this.
- Mondays- Mathematics Monday for grades 3-5 in our general education program. Each Monday scholars will test their knowledge in problem solving. The scholar who can solve the answer correctly and the fastest will receive a certificate at the end of the day.
- Tuesdays-Teacher Tuesdays will focus on ELAR/Science. We will alternate between ELAR and Science with ELAR being the first week. Scholars will have to explain/teach a previously learned concept in grades 3-5 in our general education program. The scholar who teaches/explains the best will receive a certificate at the end of the day.
- Wednesdays- Workout Wednesdays will focus on physical health. Scholars may wear athletic attire (No gym shorts. Warm-ups are acceptable.)
- Thursdays-Therapeutic Thursdays will focus on relaxation. Each morning we will practice deep breathing and provide stress/anxiety reduction strategies on the morning announcements. Our focus is on the mind.)
- Fridays-Fun Fridays will consist of clubs. We start our STEM Clubs on Friday, September 16th. Enrichment Clubs start on September 30th.
Scholars are expected to be in school uniform daily unless they have perfect attendance for the previous week. If they meet this criterion, then your child/children can have free dress on the following Monday. The other time uniforms will not be a requirement is on Workout Wednesdays and on Fridays for Spirit Day.
Our school accountability this year will focus heavily on Domain 1 which is Student Achievement. This is met by scholars in grades 3-5 scoring at the Approaches level on the STAAR tests taken in their respective grade level. Approaches is the lowest passing score your child/children can receive on the STAAR test. However, we want all scholars to score at the Meets or preferably the Masters level on STAAR. We have already started during the morning announcements reminding scholars about their brain. This month we are focused on the prefrontal cortex (PFC). The PFC helps us to do math problem solving and comprehend what we read. It also helps us to make the right decisions. And, as mentioned above, this week, we will start our theme days focused on academics on Mondays and Tuesdays. Also, it is critical that you submit a lunch application whether or you qualify or not. We want to make sure that Lake Ridge Elementary School is in the correct comparison group. That plays a role in our overall school accountability rating.
This week, 4th and 5th grade parents whose child/children did not participate in the STAAR test, failed one or more STAAR tests last year, and/or failed 2 consecutive years on the STAAR test will have to participate in a parent meeting as a requirement of House Bill 4545. Your child will have an accelerated instruction plan developed. The teacher or instructional facilitator will work with your child/children on the student expectations not met from the previous school year on the STAAR test. An email will be sent to each respective parent or guardian.
We have some exciting events coming up this month: All Pro Dads Breakfast and Grandparents Day Celebration. Please fill out the form below if you are a grandparent and would like to participate. This will help us in planning.
Grandparents Day will be celebrated on September 16th from 8:30 am-9:30am. The date for the All Pro Dads Breakfast is September 30th from 7:30am-8:30am in the LRE Cafeteria. Dads, we look forward to seeing you there.
Don't forget about signing up for PTA. Our first meeting was September 1st. We want and need your help. Please see the following information for PTA Membership: https://linktr.ee/lakeridgepta.
If you have any questions about the PTA Membership or the upcoming Grandparents Day Celebration, please contact our PTA President, Mrs. Phillips at email@example.com.
Make sure that your child brings their Google Chromebook charged daily. Most scholars will have assignments in Schoology as the year progresses.
NWEA MAP testing finishes on Monday, September 12th. Prek and kindergarten scholars are being assessed on TXKEA/CLI. The testing window is from September 6th-22nd.
Please make sure that your child brings their Chromebook charged daily, has proper rest at night and is ready to do their best each day.
Below are a few reminders:
- To ensure that we continue to have safe arrival and dismissal procedures:
- Don't park your car in the car lanes for morning drop-off and afternoon pick-up.
- Don't pull your car in front of the buses in the morning during drop-off.
- Don't create a drop-off lane during morning arrival.
- Please be patient during car-rider arrival and dismissal. Don't get out of your car to pick-up your child/children.
- Notify the office by 3:20 p.m., if you are picking up your child early. Otherwise, the dismissal time is 3:35 p.m.
- The office is extremely busy during dismissal. Therefore, if you do not contact the office by 3:20 p.m. for early pick-up, you will have to wait until 3:50 p.m. unless it is an emergency.
- Please be patient with transportation.
Be sure to keep the following dates(s) in mind:
- September 16th-Grandparents Day Celebration
- September 23rd- District Staff Development Day (No school for scholars)
- September 28th from 5:30 p.m.-7:00 p.m. is the Open House. You will have an opportunity to meet the entire staff, receive critical information about the curriculum your child is learning and receive Title 1 information.
- September 30th: All Pro Dads Breakfast
- The free lunch program has expired. With that being said, please make sure to fill out a lunch application whether you qualify or not. This impacts our school accountability. The links are: https://www.chisd.net/Page/101 and https://frapps.horizonsolana.com/welcome
- Transportation information can be found at the link below. Don't forget to register your child if he/she will ride the school bus.
- Transportation / Transportation Home (chisd.net)
- ZPASS cards were passed out on September 6th to our bus riders. Parents may begin downloading the SafeStop app (Transportation / SafeStop App (chisd.net)), which allows you to track your child/children each time your child boards and exits the bus, as well as the location. After September 6th, scholars will not be able to board the bus without their ZPASS card. Please check the FAQ page for instructions on how to obtain a replacement card. If a scholar misplaces their ZPASS card, until a new one is purchased and issued, scholars must obtain a Temporary Scholar Bus Pass. After 30 days, the Temporary Scholar Bus Pass cannot be renewed if given due to a misplaced ZPASS card. More information about transportation and the ZPASS can be found below.
Thank you all for supporting Lake Ridge Elementary scholars and staff.
Always remember that "The Race for Excellence has No Finish Line."
Principal Dr. Washington
College Colors Day
College Spirit Week will be held September 26 - 30, 2022. More information to come in the coming weeks.
Tips for Managing Back to School Stress
August can be an exciting time for scholars, but it can also be a stressful time for parents. Here are a few suggestions from the experts to help manage back to school stress. Click here for parent tips and sign up for monthly newsletters.
September Guidance Focus
- Suicide Prevention
- College Awareness
- Hispanic Heritage Month
Counseling Request Form: LRE Counseling Request Form
School Counselor: Rashonda.Johnson@chisd.net
Restorative Coordinator: Christopher.Coit@chisd.net
CHISD Highstepper Clinic
Morning Arrival Procedures:
Doors open daily at 7:45 a.m.
Scholars arriving by bus will enter through Door #14.
Scholars in Pre-K & their siblings will enter through Door #12.
Scholars in ECSE/SKILL & their siblings will enter through Door #11.
All other scholars (car riders and walkers), will enter through Door #1/Main Entrance.
- Vehicles may enter the school driveway via the back/second driveway that runs behind the building and form one line.
- Only those going to the Main Office or dropping off with the classes indicated for Door #11 and Door #12 should enter the main driveway.
Parents should follow the arrows that indicate the flow of traffic and drop off only in the lane next to the sidewalk. Children should not be dropped off in the center lane to ensure safety.
Walkers should not be dropped off via car. To be a walker, that means the scholar walks to the campus from his/her residence.
After the first day of school, parents will not be able to walk their children to their classrooms. All parents & visitors must report directly to the Main Office.
Dismissal occurs daily at 3:35 p.m.
Scholars in Pre-K & their siblings will exit through Door #12.
Scholars in SKILL & their siblings will exit through Door #11.
Scholars who ride the bus or walk home will exit through Door #14.
Scholars picked up via Private Daycare transportation will exit through Door #1.
Scholars who are picked up by car will exit through Door #5 (remain in cafeteria until called).
Parents may enter the school driveway via the back/second driveway that runs behind the building and form one line.
As the cars approach the pick-up area, the scholars will be called outside and will wait for a faculty member to load them into the cars.
Anyone picking up a scholar must have the color-coded card prominently displayed. If the card is not present, then the scholars(s) will be sent to the front office, and the driver will need to show proper identification.
Parents, please stay in your car at all times. Children will not be released if a parent walks up to the cafeteria door.
Only those going to the Main Office for appointments or picking up with the classes indicated for Door #11 and Door #12 should enter the main driveway.
If there is a change in how a scholar regularly gets home, please call the Main Office or email Dr. Washington, Ms. Vance or Ms. Cooke by 2:00 p.m. This will help avoid confusion.
The latest time to check a scholar out via the Main Office is 3:20 p.m. After that time, please wait until the regularly scheduled dismissal.
If your child is in Right at School, remember that checkout begins after 4:00 p.m.; that occurs at Door #5.
Walkers should not be picked up via car. To be a walker, that means the scholar walks to his/her residence from the campus.
The picture below shows how to properly place your car tag(s) for dismissal:
Driveway #1: Yellow
Driveway #2: Orange
K-5: Green Line (morning arrival=Door #1; dismissal=door #5)
ECSE/PK/SKILL: Blue Line
Main Office/Parking: Red Line
If you would like to recognize your child at school on his/her birthday that falls on a school day, please contact your child’s homeroom teacher so that he/she can notify the office. On your child's birthday, you may drop off store bought cupcakes or packaged fruit and individual juice/water at the time indicated by the teacher if you have communicated with the teacher. If your child's birthday falls on a weekend or on a non-school day for students, no alternate arrangements will be made.
Arrangements should be made prior to the child's birthday so that the teacher can verify that it will not interrupt scheduled class activities.
Birthdays in Montessori Primary and Lower Elementary are generally celebrated with an activity called "Walk Around the Sun". Each classroom, including Upper Elementary, has their own way of celebrating birthdays which is communicated by the classroom teacher.
CHISD C.A.R.E.S. & CHISD KUDOS
Unfortunately, there are times when a member of the Longhorn Family experiences a death. Employees, or families of scholars or former CHISD employees who wish to share the information are asked to complete the CHISD CARES (Cares About Retirees Employees & Scholars) form. The CHISD Communications Office handles all CHISD C.A.R.E.S submissions and shares the information via email to all staff. C.A.R.E.S notifications will be sent out by the end of the day that the form was received; if the submission is received after 2:30 p.m. it might not be sent out until the following business day.
The C.A.R.E.S form is available on the communications page of chisd.net. Here is a direct link.
The CHISD Communications Department loves to share the positive experiences and interactions happening across the district.
If you want to share some kudos for a parent, employee or scholar who exhibits the Longhorn Essentials, please email a description/information to firstname.lastname@example.org and you might see your kudos on one of the district’s social media accounts.
- September 16th-Grandparents Day Celebration (8:30am-9:30am)
- September 16th-STEM Clubs begin
- September 23rd- Staff Development Day (no school)
- September 26th-30th- College Spirit Week
- September 28th-Open House, Curriculum Expectations and Title 1 Night (5:30 p.m.-7:00 p.m.)
- September 30th- All Pro Dads Breakfast (7:30am-8:30am)
Campus Secretary and Office Manager
Campus Attendance Clerk
Lake Ridge Elementary
Location: 1020 Lake Ridge Parkway, Cedar Hill, TX, United States
Phone: (972) 293-4501