SHMS Weekly Info
December 2nd to 6th
Good Evening Stone Hill Students, Parents, and Staff,
I hope everyone had a safe and relaxing Thanksgiving Break! This week all of our students will be taking the MAP Reading test on Tuesday. Please make sure your child brings their Chromebook fully charged to school so that they are prepared for testing. Please see below for important information from the district regarding MAP testing.
This week is Inclusive Schools Week! Since its inception in 2001, Inclusive Schools Week has celebrated the progress that schools have made in providing a supportive and quality education to an increasingly diverse student population, including students who are marginalized due to disability, gender, socio-economic status, cultural heritage, language preference, and other factors.
We have many items located in our lost and founds throughout the school. If your child has lost an item, please have them check all the lost and found areas. If items are not claimed by December 20th they will be donated to a local charity.
Please check out our new Grade Level Stingray Reports for December 2nd to December 13th:
SHMS Upcoming Events:
· SHMS Book Fair - Please join us after Thanksgiving Break for our Scholastic Book Fair! We’ll be open from December 4th-11th during the following hours.
Wednesday 12/4: 8:10 am - 3:00 pm
Thursday 12/5: 8:10 am - 3:00 pm
Friday 12/6: 8:10 am - 3:00 pm AND 5:00pm-7:00pm
Monday 12/9: 8:10 am - 3:00 pm
Tuesday 12/10: 8:10 - 3:00 pm
Wednesday 12/11: 8:10 - 1:00 pm
There will be books for all ages, posters, and more available for purchase. All proceeds support the SHMS library. Please set up eWallet as an easy payment method. Find out more details about eWallet and the fair:
Thank you for your support in encouraging reading and your support of the SHMS library. If you stop by on Friday, stay for the Holiday Sing Along which begins at 6:00 pm.
· Holiday Sing-A-Long – Come out on Friday, December 6th from 6:00 p.m. to 7:30 p.m. in the SHMS auditorium for holiday music, followed by cookies and hot chocolate in the cafeteria. Admission is free, but we will collect freewill donations to benefit the Loudoun Abused Women Shelter. This is not a drop off event and students need to attend with their families.
· Yearbooks – It’s that time of year again! SHMS yearbooks are available to order for the 2019-2020 school year! Yearbooks are currently $30 and the last day to order is February 6th. We will NOT have copies for sale at the end of the school year -- so please reserve your child's yearbook today! Order at https://www.yearbookordercenter.com/, order number 13630. If you have any questions, please contact Alicia Young at Alicia.email@example.com.
Counseling Department Information
· Step Up Loudoun Youth Competition empowers students to make positive and impactful actions that will help to make their communities a better place to live, get an education and play. Youth identify the issues that matter to them and they TAKE ACTION to create solutions! Information for the Step Up Loudoun Youth Competition can be found here Step Up Loudoun. Registration is now open and closes on December 12th. Help be a part of the solution to such causes as Self-Esteem, Suicide Prevention, Substance Abuse, Environment, Health, and Hunger! More information will be shared with students through Resource!
· NJROTC Application: The NJROTC Admissions Application for the 2020 – 2021 school year will open at 8:00 AM EST on Monday, December 2, 2019. The application is completed through an online application portal and will be available until Friday, January 24, 2020 (due by 11:59 PM EST). Interested students may visit www.lcps.org/cte (Military Science Admissions) on or after 8:00 AM EST on Monday, December 2, 2019. More information can be found at this link.
SHMS MAP Reading on December 3rd and MAP Math on December 12th
Beginning on November 25th and ending on December 13th, LCPS students in Grades 2-8 will be taking the Winter Measures of Academic Progress (MAP) assessment. In mid-January, parents will be able to view their student’s MAP percentile scores and a Student Progress Report sharing your student’s growth in ParentVue.
The Winter MAP score will also be considered with other data to inform math course placement recommendations for rising 6th, 7th, and 8th graders. Details regarding the math placement process can be found at the following link: Math Placement Process for Rising 6th, 7th, and 8th graders .
This information will also be added to the LCPS MAP webpage for Parents. Please contact Nicole Akers, the Math Supervisor or your school if you have any questions regarding the math placement process.
Week at a Glance
- The next PTO meeting will be held on Tuesday, January 28th at 6:30 p.m. in the media center. We hope to see you there!
- Our December Spirit Night is December 9th -12th at PIZZA 360 (21760 Beaumeade Circle #130). Let them know you’re ordering for Stone Hill!
- As we approach this busy shopping holiday season, one way to help our schools is through AmazonSmile! Our school will receive 0.5% of the purchase price from your eligible smile.amazon.com purchases. It may not sound like much, but as a collective group it makes a big difference. Please remember only purchases made at smile.amazon.com, (not www.amazon.com or the mobile app) generate AmazonSmile donations. Please help us out during this holiday season in this simple, but helpful way! Another added bonus is that it's free to you and the steps are simple:
1. Visit Smile.amazon.com
2. Sign in and choose your charity, “Stone Hill Middle School PTO”
December Spirit Night
December 9th to 12th order from PIZZA 360 and make sure to mention that you are ordering for SHMS!
Make sure to sign up for AmazonSmile and select SHMS PTO!
Next PTO Meeting
Join us on January 28th at 6:30 p.m. for our next PTO meeting!