The culture of the Middle Ages
By :Imelda Rivera and Nick Reed
The First Universities
- The first university was in Bologna , Italy
- A teacher name Irnerius gather students from all over Europe to the university
- The purpose of the university was to learn more about the law to apply it in their own jobs .
- Only men could go to the university
- The textbooks were very expensive , so teacher read from the text and then added his explanation.
The Development Of Scholasticism
- Scholasticism tried to reconcile faith and reason.
- It was to harmonize christian teaching with the works of geeks philosophers.
- Saint Thomas Aquinas made the attempt to reconcile Aristotle with the doctrines of Christianity.
- Aquinas was a big part of the development of scholasticism.
- Aquinas took it for granted that there was truths arrived at by reason and truth arrived by faith.
Literature in the middle ages
- Latin was the universal language in the Middle Ages
- The most popular lecture was the troubadour poetry and the chanson de geste
- The troubadour poetry was made by nobles and knights
- The chanson de geste was also called the heroic epic
- Also lecture was written in the language of everyday in a particle region . ( Spanish, English , French and German ( Also called vernacular.)
- It provided individuals with different ways to express their christian faith
- Types of architectures were Romanesque and Gothic
- The Romanesque architecture was mostly for churches
- The Gothic architecture was a upgrade of the Romanesque architecture
- The Gothic architecture was one of the best architecture in the middle ages
Romanesque v. Gothic Architechture
1st link to information
Resource #1 ( To view the link click on the phrase " 1st link to information")