The Oxford Update
Oxford Elementary School
Staying Healthy During Cold and Flu Season
Healthy Sleep Habits
Enough Sleep means:
+ Improved memory
+ Increased alertness
+ Reduced inflammation
+ Improved immune function
+ Improved metabolism
Not Enough Sleep means:
– Impaired judgment
– Depressed mood
– Decreased ability to learn new information
– Impaired metabolism
– Impaired immune function
Five tips for bedtime
It may be a challenge to change up your bedtime routine, but if you stick to it your efforts will pay off. These ideas can help:
• Prepare for school the night before by laying out your clothes, backpack, etc. That way, you can set your alarm for later and catch some extra zzzzzs in the morning.
• Try to set up a routine by going to bed at roughly the same time each night. As your body readjusts its internal clock, it will actually become easier to fall asleep at its designated time.
• Avoid screen time at least one hour before bedtime. The glow from your device passes through your eye and signals your brain to delay the release of melatonin, a sleep-inducing hormone. Playing video games and using social media also stimulates the brain, which makes it difficult to fall asleep.
• Make your bedroom a cozy environment that you enjoy. If you feel comfortable in the space you sleep in, chances are you’ll feel more relaxed and fall asleep more easily. Note: If you like things neat, try setting aside 10 minutes before you go to bed to tidy things up and avoid the stress of a messy room.
• Try to go to bed earlier if you’re not getting enough sleep. This may seem like a no-brainer, but if you consistently find yourself feeling drowsy during the day, try heading to bed an hour or two earlier. Tiredness is your body’s way of telling you to get more sleep!
Studying the Civil War in Sixth Grade
We're a LET'S GO! Smarter Lunchroom Gold Winner
Important Dates - February 10 - February 14
2/11 - Ms. Guerrette's class to Robert's Farm
2/13 - PTO Meeting 5:30 PM
2/14 - Valentine's Day
No School - February Vacation 2/17 - 2/21