Bristow PTO Newsletter
January 2016 vol 1 issue 1
Message from Principal Cook:
Dear Parent /Guardian:
On behalf of the entire BMS school community I would like to wish all of you a Happy New Year! I hope you all enjoyed the holiday season and time spent with family and friends. We want to thank everyone who helped us to help others through various SDMS community service projects, in particular our Helping Hands project. We will continue to support others in the upcoming months, so please check your team blogs and the BMS website for more information. These efforts speak to the culture of kindness established at Bristow and in our West Hartford community.
In connection with a focus on learning, students participated a second round of expectations assemblies to ensure that behavior is appropriate and that their focus is on education and citizenship. A proactive approach reminds students of what the expectations are at BMS which will help them to make positive and beneficial decisions. At this time of year, it is expected that all students be more responsible for their behaviors as they prepare for their immediate futures at BMS as 7th and 8th graders and freshmen at Conard or Hall.
I want all 8th grade parents to be aware that the course registration process will begin in the early months of 2016. Letters outlining the process have been sent home with your children. If you have any questions, don’t hesitate to contact the staff at BMS
As is always the case, keep in touch and let us know if we can be of any assistance to you and your student.
Steven J. Cook
January 2016 Events, see the link below for full Bristow calendar.
Conard Pyramid Concert with Bristow Band students
Tue, January 12, 7pm – 8pm
Conard High School, 110 Beechwood Rd, West Hartford, CT
Martin Luther King Jr Day - NO SCHOOL
Monday, Jan 18, 2016
Select Groups concert - Bristow Auditorium
Mon, January 25, 7pm – 8pm
Grade 8 Parent Night at Hall High School
Wed, January 27, 7pm – 8pm
Grade 8 Parent Night at Conard High School
Wed, January 27, 7pm – 8pm
Family Fun Night - Bristow Gym
Thu, January 28, 6pm – 7pm
Calling All Volunteers
- Spring Dance
- Bristow Bash
- Bristow's 10 Year Celebration
- 8th Grade Celebration
Community Service Corner
- The 6th grade team sold Water Bottles for South Sudan (6th Grade) inspired by the book A Long Walk to Water and raised over $1,000 for the nonprofit organization Water for South Sudan.
- In honor of Bristow's 10 Year Anniversary the 7th graders are selling Bristow Cares Bracelets for a local charity.
- Successful Holiday Food Drive led by the 7th Grade and Student Council.
- Gingerbread Houses decorated by the 8th Grade and donated to the 2015 “We Are the Children Party” hosted by 96.5 WTIC-FM.
- 8th Grade Sock Drive collected and donated over 100 pairs of socks to The Connecticut Veterans' Home.
- Breast Cancer Awareness Challenge. Advisories competed in a fundraising campaign with donations totaling $1,000. The winning advisories were treated to a breakfast with guest representatives from the American Cancer Society.
- Through Bristow's Helping Hands monetary and gift card donations totaled $2,680, exceeding the $2,500.00 goal. Funds were distributed throughout the holiday season to members of the Bristow community.
For your information, your PTO Contributions support the following for the current school year ....
- Bronx Zoo Sixth Grade Field Trip Assistance
- Funding for 2 Robotics Teams
- Race car set and digital camera for 8th grade science unit
- Classroom set of Spanish language novels
- Percussion instruments for music program
- Fund science club activities after school
- Fund Apple TV for choir room
- Additional health office supplies
- Leveled reading material
THANK YOU FOR SUPPORTING THE PTO
Please join us for our next meeting Mon, February 29th, 6:30 pm in the Bristow Library