Pawnee County 4-H Blast
- Union Bank & Trust in partnership with the Pawnee County 4-H Foundation will be hosting a Fairgrounds Fix It Day. The goal of the event is to help Ag Society maintain the fairgrounds! Our biggest task for the day is to paint, paint, and paint some more. If painting is not your thing, we will also be doing minor repairs to some of the buildings. If your family would like to participate, but can’t make it on Saturday please contact the office. If you know of someone who has any paint sprayers which we could barrow for the weekend, please contact the office.
- NOTE: This event is separate from the Fairgrounds Clean Up Day held in July.
Starting Your Sheep Project - Wednesday, May 25 from 7-8:30pm @ Fairgrounds
Summer is here and it is time to get started on your sheep project. Novice and veteran sheep exhibitors are encouraged to attend this event hosted by Eliza Hunzeker. Participants will discuss things they will need when working with sheep, learn techniques on beginning to halter and head lead sheep, and much more. Come with your questions and be prepared to learn some helpful tips to starting your project this or next summer. RSVP to the office by 4pm on May 25.
Swine, Beef, & Sheep Fitting and Showing - Saturday, June 25 from 8:30am-NOON @ Fairgrounds
- Anytime you are in the show ring, it is essential to properly present your animal to the judge. During this clinic, youth will have the opportunity to learn from current 4-H’ers and volunteers on how to best fit and show swine, beef and sheep. There will be livestock at the clinic for youth to learn the proper techniques from. Clinicians will spend about an hour per animal species. RSVP to the office by 4pm on June 24.
RESCHEDULED Horsemanship - Saturday, July 9 from 10am-3pm @ Fairgrounds (Flyer)
- Due to a scheduling conflict, the June 4 horse clinic has been rescheduled to July 9. Please RSVP to the office by July 6.
Clover Kids Summer Workshops [Ages 5-7] (Registration)
- Monday, June 13— Aerospace: Discover different methods of flight by building airplanes and rockets.
- Monday, June 27— Just Outside My Door: Explore the water cycles, development of seeds, and what makes an insect unique.
- Monday, July 11— Exploring You: Learn how to keep yourself happy and healthy with hands-on safety activities.
Clover College Summer Workshops [Ages 8-18] (Registration)
- Monday, June 6—Robotics: Learn how or improve your programming skills of an EV3 robot.
- Friday, June 17—Electricity: Explore the basic concepts of electricity while designing paper circuits.
- Monday, June 20 — Outdoor Skills: Gain a better understanding of wildlife while learning new fishing skills and exploring insects.
In the Lead: A 4-H Ambassadors Funshop [Ages 12-18] (Registration)
- Wednesday, June 8 & Wednesday, June 22 — Are you a 4-H’er ages 12 and up and do you want to: Have FUN with other 4-H Junior Leaders? Develop your ability to LEAD the way? Build a TEAM that will get things done? Create a project that IMPACT your community?
Crafty Corner Workshop
- Friday, July 8
- Carly Hunzeker will be hosting this workshop. Check back for more information about it!
Contests & Shows
Summer contests and shows will be offered as multi-county events. [Ages 8-18]
- Horticulture & Wildlife Contest - Friday, June 3 (Registration)
- Cat and Companion Animal Show - Tuesday, June 21 (Registration)
- Favorite Food Revue - Saturday, July 30 (Registration)
Not all summer events have been scheduled. Please check your email or our website to learn about new summer activities! Registration forms for all events is located on our website: http://extension.unl.edu/statewide/pawnee/enrollmentforms/
4-H LIVESTOCK PREMIUM SALE
In an effort to ensure all 4-H families know about and fully understand the intent of the 4-H Livestock Premium Sale, the 4-H Foundation has created a set list of requirements which all 4-H families must follow in order to participate in this event. It is the 4-H’er and family’s responsibility to know the rules and sign up to participate in the event. If your family has any questions about this event or the newly established rules, please contact the office or any member of the Pawnee County 4-H Foundation.
4-H LIVESTOCK PREMIUM SALE RULES
The 4-H Livestock Premium Sale is a promotional activity for the Pawnee County 4-H Program sponsored by the Pawnee County 4-H Foundation which is held on Saturday afternoon during the County Fair. One of the goals of the sale is for 4-H member to show the county his/her achievements in the livestock project. This premium sale is for market livestock only. Exhibitors will sell their animals for a premium only, meaning 4-H’ers will retain ownership of the animal in addition to receiving the winning bids premium.
- All market animals to be in the sale must be signed up to the sale by the Friday of fair at 5 pm on the sheet outside the show office.
- 4-H’ers may only sign up an animal which they showed during the fair, not just an animal which they are ID’ed on.
- Youth must be present at the sale or their animal will not be shown. All 4-H members must wear official 4-H shirts when taking their animals through the 4-H premium sale.
- Following the sale, youth are expected to thank their buyer in person and send them an additional thank you letter.
- Each exhibitor is allowed to sell two (2) market animals. Livestock shown as a pen of three count as “one market animal” as they are shown as one single entry.
- Sale weight will be the weigh-in weights. No re-weighs allowed.
- To qualify for the sale, animals must be entered into the market class and meet the weight requirements:
- Beef, Div. 11 Class 910 & 920, n/a
- Broilers, Div. 78 Class 910 & 920, n/a
- Meat Goats, Div. 58 Class 902, 50 lbs. & Over
- Rabbit, Div. 184 Class 910 & 920, 3-5 lbs.; Class 930 & 940, 8 lbs. & Over
- Sheep, Div. 131 Class 920, 80 lbs. & Over
- Swine, Div. 36 Class 960, 200 lbs. & Over
Static Barn Volunteers
If your 4-H'er entered a static exhibit, we ask you sign up to volunteer. Slots may be filled by a single person, older youth, or family group.
Sign up online at http://go.unl.edu/staticbarn or contact the office directly (852.2970).
Livestock Quality Assurance
The online QA moodles costs $5 per person per year, the Pawnee County 4-H Foundation will offer $5 in Bonus Bucks for all 4-Hers who have completed their online QA training. These Bonus Bucks can be used to pay for workshops, buy a show shirt, pay for State Fair livestock fees or purchases something off of the 4Hmall.
Instructions can be found on our website: http://extension.unl.edu/statewide/pawnee/qa/
The QA deadline for all 4-Hers is June 15, so please plan ahead and contact the Extension Office with any questions. After completing the modules, drop off or email your certifications.
County Fair: Bucket Challenge
For more information check out the flyer posted on our County Fair page of the website. http://extension.unl.edu/statewide/pawnee/countyfair/
Summer Activities Hosted by others in Southeast Nebraska
When: Saturday, May 21 @ 9am
Where: Otoe County Fairgrounds
Salt Creek Wranglers 2016 Open Shows
When: April 10th, May 1st, June 5th, June 19th, August 28th, September 11th and September 25th.
Where: 4300 S. Coddington Avenue, Lincolne NELink: http://saltcreekwranglers.com/pages/SALT%20CREEK%20WRANGLERS%20OPEN%20SHOW%20BILL%202016.pdf
8th Annual 4H Pre-Districts Format Clinic/Show/Fundraiser
When: Saturday June 4th 2016 @ 8:30 am
Where: Pavilion 3, Lancaster Event Center, 4100 N 84th St Lincoln
Contact: 402-441-6545 to Reserve Stalls and Shavings (No outside Bedding)
1 Sheep/Goat Tagging (Feeder Calf DNA) 5pm
15 New enrollment deadline
15 Animal ID and Entry deadline
15 Last day to add projects
Nebraska Extension - Pawnee County
Extension is a Division of the Institute of Agriculture and Natural Resources at the University of Nebraska-Lincoln cooperating with the Counties and the United States Department of Agriculture. The 4-H Youth Development program abides with the nondiscrimination policies of the University of Nebraska-Lincoln and the United States Department of Agriculture.