3/4/21 Academic Affairs Brief

Faculty & Academic Staff Email Updates Sent Bi-Weekly

This Brief Includes:

  • Student Success Nudge Update

  • Share Work In The Professional Development Exhibition

  • Reminder: Student Experience Grant Rolling Deadline


Faculty Brief Email Archive

STUDENT SUCCESS NUDGE UPDATE

On Week 4 faculty were asked to fill out one survey per section taught on how their students were doing academically in their course. 280 students were flagged in at least one course, 70% of those students were only flagged in one course, the other 30% were in more than one course. The most common reason for a student being flagged was in assignment completion (87% of flags), followed by attendance concerns (33% of flags) and academic preparedness/understanding (31% of flags).


At the beginning of week 5, students who were flagged received an email from Academic Affairs with the reason for their flag and a short survey of possible action steps they could take. 111 students (out of the 280 flagged) have responded to the survey. Of those who have responded, the most common action steps students indicate that they will take is to: meet with their instructor (73%), followed by Academic Coaching (34%), Accommodations (29%), meet with their faculty advisor (28%) or Peer Tutor (25%).


Thank you for your help in indicating which students may be in need of additional academic support. In a few weeks, we will be distributing a quick survey to assess how effective this process was this semester and collect feedback for improvement.

SHARE WORK IN THE PROFESSIONAL DEVELOPMENT EXHIBITION

The college is planning to launch an online presentation of faculty work in May 2021 to replace our annual in-person social gathering. By completing the survey at the link below, you will help organizers determine how to build that site. If you have already completed this form, you need not complete it again. In any case, you'll receive a follow-up email soon from Erik Esckilsen, chair of the Professional Development Committee, with instructions on how to submit your work for the exhibition. The deadline for submitting your work will be April 2. If you have questions, contact Erik: esckilse@champlain.edu


Survey link is here.

REMINDER: STUDENT EXPERIENCE GRANT ROLLING DEADLINE

We have leftover funds available in the 2020-2021 Student Experience Grant and therefore are extending the application until all funds have been accounted for and/or the end of the semester. As a reminder, the funds must be used by June 1, 2021. Faculty can submit an application at any time and applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis. The link to the grant application is below and is included in all Academic Brief emails.


Important Dates


  • 03/14 - Midterm grades due

  • 04/09 - Last day to withdraw from a class or the College

  • 04/12-04/23 Registration for Summer and Fall 2021

  • 04/28 - Last day to request an incomplete grade for Spring 2021

  • 04/30 - Last day to request a medical withdrawal

  • 04/30 - Last day of classes

  • 05/03 - 05/07 - Finals Week (This is the same as week 15, normal class schedule)

  • 05/09 - Final grades due

  • 05/15 - Commencement