THE WEDNESDAY MESSAGE!
The Official Weekly of Salford Hills Elementary School
INFORMATION REGARDING FULLY VIRTUAL SCHOOL BEGINNING NOVEMBER 23
As first announced last Friday, the Montgomery County Office of Public Health has ordered all Montgomery County schools to shift to fully virtual instruction for the two-week period of November 23 to December 6, 2020. Because there was no school scheduled in SASD during the week of November 23 for parent-teacher conferences, the period of fully virtual instruction is planned for only one week - Monday, November 30 through Friday, December 4. Schools will reopen for in-person instruction on Monday, December 7, 2020.
Please see the additional important information below:
- Week of November 23: No school for students. Virtual parent-teacher conferences and virtual senior projects will continue as planned. Schools are closed on November 26 and 27 for the Thanksgiving holiday.
- Week of November 30: Fully virtual school for all students. Students will participate in synchronous lessons following their normal daily school schedules, and complete any schoolwork assigned by their teachers. Students will be expected to have their device video cameras turned on during synchronous instruction as directed by their teachers. Families with technology needs should contact the school office or visit the Student Help Desk online.
Instructional Day Schedule: In-Person Students
(Please monitor your e-mail for additional information from your child's school)
- Souderton Area Online Academy: No changes. Instruction, daily routines, and parent-teacher conferences for SAOA students will continue as scheduled with no changes.
- Meals: Distributed daily from schools November 30 through December 4. Each school cafeteria will prepare free meals which families may pick up at any school building between the hours of 11:00 a.m. and 1:00 p.m. daily. Families with students in multiple buildings may choose one school to pick up all meals. Meals will not be available during the week of Thanksgiving, November 23-27. Pickup locations and additional information will be shared later this week.
- Special Education: Fully virtual. All special education services will be delivered virtually for the week beginning November 30. Questions about student accommodations can be referred to the IEP teacher.
- Community Education: Canceled until December 7. Activities scheduled during the two-week virtual period will also be postponed. Depending on the class/program, it will be rescheduled or refunds/credits will be issued. The Community Education Department or an instructor will reach out to class participants with updates.
Thank you in advance for your patience and cooperation as we respond to the County order. Please continue to monitor your e-mail for additional information.
We look forward to the return of our in-person students on December 7.
Parent Tips for Virtual Learning
"Angel Tree" Giving at Salford Hills
This has been and continues to be a very challenging time for our nation and our families at Salford Hills. We want to continue our tradition of making the season a little brighter for our children in need.
Although we can't erect our angel tree this year, we can provide a list (by age/gender) on Sign Up Genius of children who would benefit from the kind generosity of others.
If you would like to participate, please CLICK THIS LINK..
As noted in the directions, only gift cards can be accepted. Please contact Linda Moyer (school counselor) with any questions. Deadline for returning gift cards is December 11.
Thank you for taking care of our school community.
For SAOA Families Only
SAOA Elementary: 2nd Trimester Commitment Form
For SAOA Elementary Parents
As the first trimester for elementary students comes to a close, we are offering Online Academy students the opportunity to transition back to in-person schooling beginning on Monday, December 7, 2020. To ensure the District is prepared for students either remaining in SAOA or returning in-person, ALL SAOA ELEMENTARY families MUST complete the Elementary Trimester 2 Commitment Form.
Please complete and submit the Elementary Trimester 2 Commitment Form no later than Tuesday, November 24, 2020.
- If your child returns to in-person schooling, he or she may be assigned to a different teacher. If your child is in Kindergarten and returns to in-person schooling, he or she may be assigned to either a morning section or an afternoon section based on class size capacities.
- In-person students are required to follow all health and safety protocols, such as physical distancing, mask-wearing, and frequent hand sanitizing.
- If you elect to return your child to in-person schooling at this time, you will be contacted by the school during the week of November 30 about your child’s assigned teacher and information regarding his or her successful transition back to school.
- As announced last week, the County has ordered all schools to shift to fully virtual instruction for a two-week period ending on December 4, 2020. It is anticipated that SASD schools will reopen to all in-person students on Monday, December 7, 2020.
- If you choose not to return your child to in-person instruction at this time, the next opportunity to do so will be at the start of the third trimester in mid-March 2021.
A survey will be sent to parents of secondary SAOA students in December as we prepare for the semester change.
Fifth Grader's Shares Positive Posters With Classroom Teachers to Spread Kindness
- Your child's teacher will send you a link to join
- TEAMS opens in any web browser
- You can use TEAMS on your phone if you'd like
- Mute yourself when you first enter your TEAMS meeting.
- Your online conference is confidential. You may want to find a quiet place to meet.
Fifth Grade Abstract Flowers
Using Analogous Colors in Abstract Flowers
The Indian Valley Education Foundation (IVEF) is pleased to announce the opening of the 2020 #SoudyStrong Holiday Shop! The proceeds from every sale will support educational opportunities in classrooms district wide! This fall, the IVEF has committed $30,000 in funding to support innovation in our schools through our Innovation Grant program. We know that this support is needed now more than ever, and we hope you will consider joining as we work to provide resources to our teachers and students. Your purchase will help us do that!
STORE OPEN: Now through November 20th
ALL MERCHANDISE READY FOR PICKUP OR SHIPPED BY: Monday, December 14th, to ensure delivery for the holidays
Join us in helping to make a difference in our schools!
Use the following link to visit the store: https://getgotprinting.printavo.com/merch/soudystrongivef
Fifth Graders Share Thanksgiving Leaf Rubbings with their Buddies
Health & Safety: Important Reminders
This is a reminder to all families of the importance of minimizing the spread of COVID-19 within the community by avoiding large gatherings, practicing social distancing, wearing masks, and staying home when sick.
Keep your student home if he/she is:
- Feeling sick
- Experiencing any symptoms of COVID-19. For a list of symptoms and school exclusion guidelines, please see the COVID-19 School Exclusion Requirements found on our Illness Indicators/Sick Day Guidelines Web page
- Awaiting a COVID-19 test result and has not yet been cleared to return
- Quarantined due to a recent close contact with an individual with COVID-19
- Returned from recent travel to an area on Pennsylvania’s travel alert page
These practices are a critical part of limiting the spread of this disease in our school community and keeping our schools open. For a list of active cases in the District, visit our Active COVID-19 Cases in SASD Web Page.
Thank you for your cooperation.
Reading With a Buddy in K
KIND Second Graders
Quarters for Kindness
Home and School Meetings
- Tuesday, December 8, 2020
- Tuesday, January 12, 2021
- Tuesday, February 9, 2021
- Tuesday, March 9, 2021
- Tuesday, April 27, 2021
Questions for Home and School?
If you have any questions, comments, or concerns, you can reach out via firstname.lastname@example.org to contact all four board members: president (Danielle Moyer), vice-president (Lisa James), secretary (Stacy Caldwell), treasurer (Trish May).
Salford Hills Elementary School
Fundamentally committed to each other, we at Salford Hills are a caring community of learners who value each individual’s intrinsic worth and potential.
In our supportive environment, learners are encouraged to achieve high standards by developing responsibility for their learning through authentic experiences that require hard work, critical thinking and reflection.
Learning is a process that positively impacts the future.