Eastside: One Team, One Dream
"We never lose. We either win or we learn. - Nelson Mandela
Week of September 9th
Our mission is to build a strong educational foundation while meeting the unique needs of our students.
Working in partnership with the community, Eastside Elementary will provide all students:
A collaborative team of professionals who are committed to improve their practices, so that all students learn at high levels
A safe, positive, and inviting learning environment
An engaging and challenging curriculum focused on essential academics and life skills
Individualized and timely support that provides students with what they need to succeed
Inspirational Video: Remember your promise to watch it!
Hattie's Corner: Self Reported Grades
As we start this week, reflect on how the student data notebooks are going. This is closely related to what Hattie calls Self-reported grades, which gives an effect size of 1.33 (more than 3 years of growth in one year). See the two images loaded below. I have also included both of these on the Google Site.
Let me know if you have any questions on your data notebook. I love data and I'm happy to help!!
Details for the Week
Be sure to have students pick up any school supplies out of the floor before the end of the day. The district spent $24,000 on school supplies for Eastside and they do not need to be thrown away due to them being on the floor. The custodians have found boxes of brand new crayons and pencils in the floor when they go to sweep. We must teach students responsibility to clean up their area!
If a parent mentions anything about 504, IEP, or dyslexia testing, you must email me that same day and let me know.
Answers to the Questions from the parking lot:
If kids bring breakfast in your room for PROWL, they should eat and participate. They need to sit with their PROWL group so they can hear the lesson and instruction. Do not let them eat the entire 30 minutes. Encourage them to eat quickly, so they can fully engage.
If you see someone not showing up for duty, please let me know and I will address it.
Take attendance first thing in the morning.
Mrs. Krogman is sending out PTO volunteer list with contact information to the grades.
Mrs. Isom/Celebration committee will be sending out the staff birthday list.
Two things listed on the parking lot did not have any information with them: 2nd chance breakfast and TAG time on Thursday - please email specifics about what these questions were.
Make sure these three forms go home in Monday folders: pink sheet (PTO membership drive), gold sheet (Fall Festival information and permission form) and white sheet (residency form). They can be found in your box.
K-2 MAP makeup sessions will occur this week.
Dibeling continues this week
PROWL is in full swing!!!!
PROWL dismissal (7:45 for intervention groups, 7:47 for enrichment groups, 8:17 for enrichment groups, 8:20 for intervention groups) Students will stand in the hallway outside the door until 7:50. Teachers make sure you are outside your door greeting students coming into PROWL at 7:50 and leaving PROWL at 8:20. We need all eyes for supervision.
Return any agricultural surveys that students have returned to the office.
Students in grades 3-5 will be taking a school survey during keyboarding to provide us input on improving our school.
5th grade Championship Race day with Mrs. May
Super short staff meeting at the end of the day in the lobby
- We will dismiss PROWL early to get ready for schoolwide bus evacuation drill.
- Bus evacuation for all grades at 8:15. We will call your grade down to the bus parking lot by grade. Teachers will get on the bus with students.
- Hearing and vision screening begins at 8:30. Nurse Leah has contacted 1st, 2nd and 4th grade for where they will go for their screening.
- 9:20 - Support staff will meet in the team meeting room with Mrs. Worthey. She will be explaining literacy interventions! We are so excited to have her assistance with this.
- SIT will meet
- VIP after school
- Content team meeting day
- PTO meeting at 3:45 PM
- Watch Dog Dad night at 6:00 PM
- Clubs 7:50 - 8:20
- Spirit Day 8:30
- Play with the Principals will occur after Spirit Day - We will call Student of the Months from class on the intercom.
- Special Surprise coming from Mrs. Krogman and myself
- Recess meetings (more info to come on materials to bring)
- Make sure you have finished your PGP goals and answered your TESS questions for each goal by end of the school day.
- Hope everyone is enjoying the morning announcement and Name that Tune! We dramatically decreased our behavior incidents this week due to setting this positive tone daily. It will continue to occur around 9:30 to allow all students to be present in the building.
- If you know in advance that you will be absent, please submit your request to ESS the day that you know of your absence. We are sharing subs with the entire district, which sometimes makes it difficult to get your class filled. We were short three subs on Friday.
- Commemorating the signing of the U.S. Constitution on September 17, 1787. Please have this noted in lesson plans for Monday, Sept. 17th.
- Celebrate Freedom Week during the last full week of classes in September (September 24– September 28), pursuant to Act 682 of 2003, Please make appropriate lessons for this week. The link will provide resources and ideas for you. http://adecm.arkansas.gov/ViewApprovedMemo.aspx?id=4133
We're on the PROWL - Let's GROWL!
Eastside' 5th Grade Raceway - Way to go Mrs. May!!!
Important Dates (Refer to EES 2019- 20 Calendar shared by Mrs. Krogman)
Sept 16 - Progress Reports go home
Sept 19 - Lil' Dribbler Meeting 6:00 PM
Sept 19 5th grade flag etiquette 2:00 PM
Fall Festival Important Dates
Sept 9th - Fall festival forms (info sheet and permission slips) sent home with students
Sept 17th - Fall Festival elections for kings and queens
Sept 26 - chocolate boxes and raffle tickets go home with students
Oct 23 by noon - last day for students to turn in money for chocolate and raffle tickets
Oct 19th - Fall festival games: Sweet walk, games, bingo, silent auction, vendor booths
Oct 24th and 25th @9 AM - Coronation practice at Panther Pavilion
Oct 26th - Coronation at 5 pm Panther Pavilion
Words to Live By This Month
PRIDE WORD = Perseverance
COMPUTER SCIENCE WORD = Algorithm