RENEWABLE ENERGY AT GLENFOREST
What is Wind
Wind is a natural phenomenon that occurs everywhere on Earth. Although wind can be used for recreational purposes such as sailing, hang gliding, and flying kites, wind also has a huge role in energy generation. Advances in wind turbine technology and the amount of regions suitable for producing power have made wind power the fastest-growing source of energy in the world.
Environmental Impact of Wind Energy
- Environmentally friendly energy source
- Produces no greenhouse gasses or pollutants
- Users of wind energy have smaller carbon footprints
- Renewable source of energy
- Wind turbines kill more than 75 000 birds every year in the United States alone
- Wind turbines warm up surrounding air at night
- Wind turbines only run between wind speeds of 5-25 meters per second
- A wind turbine is most efficient when wind speeds are 15 meters per second
- A wind turbine only produces electricity 70%-85% of the time
- In a year, a wind turbine will generate only about 30% of it's theoretical maximum output.
Conserving Electricity at Glenforest by Turning off the Lights
"It's better to enlighten a child than to light a school room." Thomas Edison
How Much Can we Save?
At Glenforest, we can take it up a notch by turning off all lights in rooms that can be lit bright enough with only sunlight. To estimate the amount of energy we could save by doing this, we first set the following conditions:
- There are 200 light bulbs in our school
- Each light bulb uses 30 Watts of power
- Each light bulb will be turned off for an extra 3 hours every day
- There are 200 days in a school year
- Electricity costs $0.10/kWh
Energy saved = # of lights(200) x 30 Watts x 3 hours / 1000 = kWh
Energy saved = 3600 kWh
Over the course of one school year, just by turning off 200 light bulbs for an extra three hours a day, you can conserve 3600 kWh of energy. This would amount to $360 being saved.
The amount of energy being conserved and the amount of money being saved can be increased by turning off other electrical appliances for longer periods of time.