FAC Weekly Update
March 27, 2020
Good morning, Fine Arts Center Family
By now, I am sure you have heard that Governor McMaster has extended the closure of South Carolina Public Schools until the end of April. While there will be more details coming in the next days and weeks, I wanted to give you some insight as to where we are as a school.
We are determined to continue the highest level of pre-college and pre-professional training for our students through the eLearning platform. Our Faculty are networking with the leading educators in their respective fields on a local and national level to ensure that we are delivering instruction in the most effective way possible. We are constantly adjusting to new trends in eLearning so that your child can continue to grow in their arts education. Please, in turn, continue to encourage your child to use this time to the fullest, engaging with their FAC teacher and putting full effort towards the completion of assignments. We need to see this time period as one where we optimized our ability to grow!
We will continue to communicate regularly with you about future opportunities for our students. This includes emails to students in the Senior Class about scholarship opportunities, emails to students in the Junior Class about college preparation, and all underclassmen about potential arts experiences for the coming school year. Please tell your child to check their email regularly so that they do not miss out! We will also be encouraging students to share their artistic endeavors on Instagram, tagging our school and school district in the process so that the Greenville Community can enjoy the work of our students. Teachers and administrators may also be posting messages to our students on Instagram, as we strive to keep the connection to our most important people - the kids.
We will also work on tentative plans for the end-of-year events. While we need to abide by the directives given to us by the Governor and are not clear as to any regulations for public gatherings after May 1, we will continue to create plans for important events such as the Anti-Prom, Performances, and the FAC Commencement. Should we get clearance to hold these events, we want to be ready to act at a moment’s notice.
As always, please do not hesitate to reach out to us via email or phone. We are happy to assist and support you during this challenging time. Our dedication towards fostering a love of the arts in our students has never been stronger, and we look forward to being a positive influence during these times of uncertainty.
This Week's Student Leadership Lesson
“No matter what happens today, tomorrow, remember - you might not be able to control all of the circumstances, but you can control how you respond to them.
Pause…look for the good…
Trust in bigger things…
Respond instead of react.”
-Jon Gordon and Daniel Decker, STAY POSITIVE, page 59
GET READY FOR VIRTUAL SPIRIT WEEK 2020!
Roy Fluhrer Scholarship
Dr. Roy S. Fluhrer served as the Director of Greenville County School District’s Fine Arts Center from 1989 to 2017. Upon his retirement, a scholarship in his name was established and will be awarded to a graduating Senior on an annual basis. This needs-based scholarship will be awarded to students who demonstrate artistic excellence along with the intent to study the arts at the collegiate/university/conservatory level.
Students may apply via this Google Form - https://forms.gle/eG6DcFp5vWtB8GLV7 - with a deadline of Wednesday, May 6, 2020, to electronically submit the form. A committee will review all applications and the winner will be announced at the Fine Arts Center Commencement on Wednesday, May 20, 2020.
All applications should include two letters of recommendation - one from a teacher and one from a community member who is familiar with your artistic growth and drive for excellence. Please submit a hard copy of the letters to Mr. Popat by the May 6 deadline.
More Scholarship Opportunities for Seniors
The scholarships listed below represent the remaining ones to date that the Greenville County School District has posted in Naviance. While there is only one that is specifically arts-related, there are several others to which our students may want to consider applying. Note the deadlines and any other requirements/stipulations. Please reach out to Ms. Collins (firstname.lastname@example.org) if you have any questions.
- G-Man Scholarship - deadline 3/31 - $1000 – minority students – based on need
- Janice M. Scott Memorial Scholarship Fund - deadline 3/31 - $2500 – based on community service/extracurricular and need
- K Todd Houston – deadline 3/31 - $1500 – for a student who suffers from hearing loss
- Gap Creek Singers Scholarship – deadline 4/1 - $500-$1000 – music major
- McKinney- Vento – deadline 4/1 - $1000 – for students who are homeless
- Bernice Barton – deadline 4/17 – 2 for $1000 and 2 for $500 – for female students
- Fred and Mamie Bostic Scholarship – deadline 4/17 - $1100 – African American – based on need and merit
- Hattie Mae Sims Memorial Scholarship – deadline 4/24 -$1000 – African American – based on need
- Greenville Tech Foundation Scholarship – deadline 5/1 – amount and criteria vary – 250+ scholarships awarded
- The South Carolina Restaurant & Lodging Education Foundation – deadline 5/1 – the amount varies
- B. Davis Scholarship – deadline 5/22 - $1000 – requires an essay on leadership
- Abbott and Fenner Scholarship – deadline 6/12 - $1000 – essay
- Chapman Foundation Scholarship – deadline 6/15 – amount not specified – minority student –based on merit and need
- Big Sun Scholarships – deadline 6/19 - $500 – sports involvement
- Spartanburg Methodist College – Scholar Program – deadline 6/30 - $31,500 – merit-based
Congratulations - Scholastic National Award Winners!
Gold Medalists in Poetry
Gold Medalists in Visual Arts
Silver Medalist in Visual Arts
New Online Store - Get Your FAC Gear!
Summer Arts Intensive Programs - Financial Assistance
The Fine Arts Center has set aside some funds to assist students who are applying to summer arts intensive programs. Please note the following guidelines:
- Any student applying for financial assistance must attend the Fine Arts Center for the 2020-2021 School Year.
- Applicants must complete the Google Form linked below. All applications must come with proof of acceptance into the summer intensive program(s), or proof of application if acceptance is pending.
- Selection criteria are as follows
- Financial Need as determined by a pupil's P.I.P. status. The Pupils in Poverty indicator is accessible to us via PowerSchool.
- Merit, based on Grade Point Average and Teacher Input
- Any special circumstances that are causing financial hardship to the family
The Google Form can be accessed here - https://forms.gle/SuQyN5a47ZAn7hhM9. Note that the form can be accessed by students only, via their GCS Google Account. Forms are due on Thursday, April 9, 2020.
Please feel free to contact our Main Office at (864) 355-2550 or email:
Ms. Erin Poole - Secretary to the Director - email@example.com
As of now, all events at the FAC have been postponed. We will release an updated calendar of events once we have more information.