Week of 2/6 - 2/10
Another great week is behind us. Here are some highlights from the week:
- PLC Conversations - On Wednesday, our PLC's shared some recent learning from training that people have gone to. I am excited about the prospects of our PRESS materials and am happy to say that some people are already using them!! I heard a lot of great ideas from the literacy conference that was attended. One memorable one for me that I have used and seen used is the power of sticky notes. Take time to praise someone (student, colleague, family member) randomly through a sticky note. I got a sticky note on my desk this week with a nice message and it was a great surprise and gave me a boost for the day.
- Greeting students - I don't offer praise nearly as often as I should, but this week I started taking notice of something that I really appreciate and am proud to say happens at Hawthorne. Each morning, I see many of our teachers standing outside their rooms to greet their students. Many times they are greeted with a hug, a high-five, a "How are you today?," or an "I hope you're ready to learn today!" This is a simple act, but a powerful one. What a great way to set the tone for the day! I wish I could be greeted with a high-five and some words of encouragement each morning.
- Backpack program - Friday, we sent out our first set of supplies to families in need. We had an overwhelming response from families in need and additional donations. Instead of helping 24 families like we first thought, we were able to help support 50 families with the additional donations from staff, community members, and local businesses. Thank you Kathy and Rhett for putting all of the pieces together so we can assist our students!
Week of 1/30 - 2/3
Last week for FAST screening
Currently, about 94.29% of our students have been screened using FAST. Please make sure to screen any remaining students this week. The sooner you can screen them the better.
Tuesday at 6:30, PTO will have their monthly meeting in the library. If you are available, please come and show your support!
Scholastic Book Fair
Starting Wednesday, the Scholastic Book Fair will be set up in the Kindergarten wing. Wednesday will be a preview day only with students being able to purchase books on Thursday and Friday. If you are available on Tuesday afternoon to assist in the set up, please come to the Kindergarten wing to assist.
Friday at 1:30, kindergarten will be hosting the Sweetheart Tea. We will be running an Wednesday early dismissal schedule. This will be a great opportunity to invite some of our community in to the school and improve public relations. Thank you in advance for everyone's flexibility!!
- 2/14 - Valentine's Day parties
- 2/15 - Amy Thacher meeting with teachers piloting PRESS materials
- 2/16 - Spring Pictures
- 3/9-3/10 - Kindergarten Round Up