SMCHS News Update
Wednesday, December 16, 2020
"Do not think that love, in order to be genuine, has to be extraordinary. What we need is to love without getting tired." Saint Teresa of Calcutta
Thursday, December 17: SMCS Music Christmas Special @6:30pm (livestream) / Ugly/Christmas Sweater Day
Friday, December 18: Christmas Color Challenge Day
Monday, December 21: Christmas Break Begins
Monday, January 4: School Resumes
Tuesday, January 5: SMCS Spirit Wear Day
Friday, January 8: First Friday Mass @7:25am / First Friday Adoration
For a complete calendar listing, view our Google calendar online.
First Semester Finals Information
The final exam schedule will look a little different this year. Please see the details below.
- Finals for hours 1, 2, 5, 6 will be on January 13.
- Finals for hours 3, 4, 7, 8 will be on January 14.
- Lunch and study halls will be the same as a normal school day.
- We will have break times built into every 93-minute class.
- Students with four exams in one day can request to take a final on Friday January 15. Students may pick up a request form in the office and return by Thursday, January 7. Administration will select the test and the time of the make-up on Friday.
SMCS Christmas Concert Special
Tune in to SMCSFineArts.org for our SMCS Music Concert on Thursday, December 17 at 6:30 p.m. Videos from all SMCS campuses will be published that evening and will be available to view on demand through Christmas break. Thank you for supporting SMCS Fine Arts!
Emergency Notification System
Change in Student Volunteer Log
Spirit Stop Discount Sale!
On Tuesday, December 22 from 4:00-6:00pm, guests may shop for SMC spirit wear in the St. Mary Catholic High School Commons! We may need to limit shoppers, so please be patient. Don't forget your mask!
Parking Lot Safety
A friendly reminder to always use caution in our parking lots at all times and especially during morning and afternoon pick up and drop-off. Our bus drivers have reported drivers pulling out without looking, not stopping for the crosswalks and not deferring to the buses as they try to pull out. Thank you for helping to keep everyone in our SMCS family safe!
Congratulations to Aidan Anderson for being named to the All-Region Football team at Outside Linebacker. This is quite an honor given this year’s All-Region team includes players from both the 8-player and 11-player leagues.
Winter sports are underway! Boys and girls basketball, hockey and powerlifting have begun! Home basketball games can always be viewed on the SMCS Youtube Channel.
Boys and girls basketball: Big East site
Boys Hockey: Fox Cities Stars
We are in need of Volunteers for Basketball! Please sign up to help with our home games and watch our teams play in person. SIgn up using this link.
Daily Temp Check Discontinued
Beginning when school starts in the new year, SMCS will discontinue daily temperature checks for students and staff at all campuses. With the outside temperature getting colder, staff is noticing that our non-contact temperature checks are reading much lower than normal. In addition, the CDC does not currently recommend schools conduct symptom screening for all students in grades K-12 on a routine (daily) basis. Given this, the following is still recommended:
- Parents, caregivers, or guardians should be strongly encouraged to monitor their children for symptoms of infectious illness every day through home-based symptom screening. They should also take temperatures at home, if possible, before students are sent to school.
- Students who are sick should not attend school in-person.
- Please use this guide from the CDC for more information: https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/community/schools-childcare/symptom-screening.html
Please continue to call the school office with any absences. If you are concerned about symptoms, positive cases or exposure, please call our Covid Screener at 920-716-7139 or email email@example.com.
SCHOOL COUNSELING NEWS
UW System Application Fees Waived
The University of Wisconsin (UW) System has announced a no cost application fee for most UW campuses for approximately the next two years. Students who have already submitted applications prior to December 11, 2020, but have not yet submitted payment, will still be required to pay the application fee; it will not be retroactively applied to already submitted applications. UW campuses that continue to require the application fee are UW-Eau Claire Region, UW-La Crosse, and UW-Madison.
Fox Valley Technical College (FVTC) Admissions Fast Start
Students may apply for admission free of charge and talk with an Admissions Specialist by joining FVTC’s virtual Fast Start event on Wednesday, December 9, between 8am – 6pm.
ZAPS ACT Test Prep Seminar
SMCHS is hosting the ZAPS ACT Test-Prep Seminar on Saturday, February 27 from 9:00am-3:00pm.
If you are not familiar with ZAPS, the ACT seminar includes:
- Five hours of focused strategy instruction by a highly trained instructor
- 24 practice tests for the ACT and ZAPPING the ACT Study Guide
- Specific strategies for each type of question on the ACT
- General test-taking methods for lifelong success
- Test-specific time-management techniques
- Explanations for each question and answer on the practice tests
- Unique system for analyzing errors to identify strengths and weaknesses
- Instruction for writing a high-scoring Essay
Students who would like to attend may register here.
UW HELP One-on-One Sessions
UW HELP is offering one-on-one sessions for students wanting assistance completing the online application for admissions, looking for general information about a specific UW campus, or seeking guidance with the admissions process. Students can go online and schedule a 15-minute session with one of UW HELP’s Outreach Specialists. To schedule a one-on-one session, please click here.
Understanding the Financial Aid Process--Virtual Presentations
Ripon College Office of Financial Aid is happy to share a virtual step-by-step guide to filing the FAFSA and the financial aid process for all students planning to attend private, public or technical schools after graduation. This is the same financial aid evening program offered at SMCHS in the past. Click on the links below for each topic:
FVTC FAFSA Help
Fox Valley Technical Institute is hosting virtual FAFSA workshops on Thursdays (except when the college is closed). The next event is scheduled for November 19 at 9:00am. Students and their families can log in and get assistance completing the FAFSA from start to finish here. Chrome is the recommended browser.
Senior Transcripts & Applications
- Students request transcripts in Naviance for electronic delivery to colleges and universities.
- Requests for hard copies should be emailed directly to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Students interested in pursuing a Certificate of Global Competence, must work with their World Language teacher to complete the forms and requirements.
Scholarships can be found on the Naviance home page under Colleges/Scholarships & Money. Seniors should check Naviance weekly for updates.
- Scholarship list = current active list of scholarships with due dates and link to the application
- National Scholarship Search = comprehensive, safe database. Over 3.5 million scholarships with total awards over $18 billion