Academy of St. Benedict the African
October 30, 2022
Week of October 30, 2022
Hello, St. Benedict the African Families,
The video above has highlights of this week's bulletin.
Wow, what a week we had last week, topped off by an amazing Harvest Fest. A big thank you goes out to all of you for your generosity - both with donating goods and your time. The day was so fun for our children. Ms. Mosley spearheads this event, and we are grateful for her.
As a reminder, scholars must be in their seats at 7:45 AM to be on time. If you are running late, please call the office.
We have added many clubs after school to complement instruction during the day. Anyone attending a club after school should bring a snack (no nuts).
Mondays: Chess Club - Grades 3-8 - some spots still available. Sign up here
Tuesdays: Fight Like a Girl - Grades 4-8 girls only - full
Tuesdays: STEM Science - Grades 5 & 6
Tuesdays: Basketball - Grades 5-8 co-ed. Some spots are available. Sign up here
Wednesdays: Dance -extended day students only
Thursday: DePaul Catholic Leadership Group - Grades 6-8. Full (continuation of summer program)
I can't stress this enough. Children who are sick must stay home. RSV and Flu are quite prevalent and contagious. If your child needs medication to keep a fever down, they must stay home. Students must be fever free for 24 hours without medication to be in school. We have a responsibility to each other, as a community, to work to keep everyone well.
Please review your family's FACTS account or call the business office (x102 or X103) for clarity.
Featured Families: Would you like to be a St. Benedict the African Featured Friday Family? Complete this form! We love spotlighting our families and will even offer 1 PAW for participating! If you need a lawn sign, call the office. We just received more!
Here's what is happening this week:
- Tuesday - Grades 3-5 Field Trip to see Goosebumps, The Musical
- Wednesday - Kind Shirt & Kind Party
- Wednesday - NAEP Testing - Scholars who are 13
- Thursday - All School Liturgy - All Saints Day
There are just a few weeks left in the first trimester. Conferences are scheduled for November 17th from 8 AM - 4 PM. It is a remote learning day for scholars. We DO have childcare available for no additional charge from 6:30 AM - 5:15 PM. Use this form.
Please continue to be courteous and kind at drop-off and pick-up. A few extra minutes won't hurt, and our children's safety is at stake.
All scholars enter the school at door 1. For extended-day families, pick-up is from door 2 after 3:30.
Let's make this a great week of learning!
773-776-3316, enter 101 at the voicemail message if needed.
This is required, not suggested. Those failing to follow the stated uniform will be given the proper items to wear.
Please help us build our community by having your child/ren wear the proper clothing daily.
- Navy blue slacks, skort, or jumper
- Light blue polo shirt with the school logo or name
- gym shoes with white, black, or blue socks or tights - no leggings
- School hoodie, gym sweatshirt, or plain (no brand logos) navy blue sweater
Gym or Dance day:
- Gym uniform
- Light blue school t-shirt with either logo or tiger
- Black sweatpants with the school logo (plain black (no brand logos showing) sweatpants will work)
- School hoodie or gym sweatshirt
Only plain navy sweaters, school hoodies, or school gym sweatshirts may be worn during the day over the polo.
The gym uniform must be purchased at Martinellis 3517 W. 95th, Evergreen Park.
The school has the polo ($15) and the school hoodie ($20 cash/$23 card). We have a limited supply of extra Kind shirts available for $5. Cash only, please, for those shirts. Please label all hoodies and sweatshirts.
Also, the children will be asked to remove their jewelry if wearing any. It's a distraction, against our dress code, and creates safety concerns. All boys should remove their earrings before coming to school. Our dress code regarding jewelry and nail polish aligns with all other Catholic Schools in our council.
In choosing our school, you agree to follow the uniform policy.
**What you see in the ad are not our items. Go to the store using the link above.
The calendar is always accessible on our website and our mobile app.
2022-2023 School Calendar
Tuition Payments & Action for Children
It's essential that payments are made as scheduled so that the school can meet its obligations.
Please contact me or Ms. Fernandez, our business manager, if you have concerns.
School & Office Hours
Arrival for breakfast 7:15 AM - 7:35 AM
Classes Begin: 7:45 AM (Children not in their seats at 7:45 are marked tardy)
School Ends at 2:45 on Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, and Friday. 2:00 PM on Wednesdays
Extended Day: 3:00 PM - 6:00 PM - to reach extended day, call the school and enter 107 at the recording.
Office Hours - Every Day - 6:30 - 3:30 and by appointment
UPCOMING IMPORTANT DATES!
- November 14th - 17th - Scholastic Bookfair
- November 17th - Parent-Teacher Conferences from 8-4, Remote Learning Day with Childcare available from 6:30 - 5:15.
- November 18th - NO SCHOOL/NO Childcare - Professional Learning Day
- November 21st - 25th Thanksgiving Break - NO SCHOOL
- December 13th - NO EXTENDED DAY, no clubs- ALL Staff Meeting
- December 21st - Christmas Program- 9 AM Last day of school before Christmas break.
- December 22nd - January 3rd - Christmas Break
- January 4th - All return to school