Colerain All Stars Newsletter
Week of October 25th
- Colerain Costume Parade - Tuesday, October 26th - see flyer posted below for details
- Colerain Truck or Treat - Tuesday, October 26th 5p - 6:30p at Colerain Elementary
- NO SCHOOL - Wednesday, October 27th - for Records Day
- City of Columbus Trick or Treat - Thursday, October 28th 6p - 8p
- Feed-a-Friend - Friday, October 29th - please drop off donations to room 17 by that morning
- Biscuit Boss Food Truck - Friday, October 29th 10:30p - 1:30p at Colerain Elementary
- PTA Meetings - future meeting schedule (with zoom links) has been posted below
Colerain Trunk or Treat - Tuesday, October 26th 5p - 6:30p @ Colerain Elementary
Colerain Fall Clean Up was a success!!!
Upcoming Colerain Events
- Sensory & Self-Regulation Strategies for Use at Home - Wednesday, November 3rd @ 7p - this virtual presentation will be hosted by Colerain Occupational Therapists. ZOOM LINK: https://zoom.us/j/91433584157?pwd=OWNORENIQlM1blVSMHprQmh0ODVZZz09
- Parent/Teacher Conferences - Tuesday, November 9th and Thursday, November 18th - more details will be shared soon. In the meantime, please review the "How to Prepare for Parent/Teacher Conferences" Presentation below for some tips on how to get the most out of these valuable conversations.
- Colerain Intro to PBIS - Monday, November 15th @ 7p - PBIS (Positive Behavioral Interventions & Supports) is an important and valuable framework at Colerain. It helps ensure a positive, predictable, safe, and equitable school environment for all students.
Therefore, we would like to use this session to introduce PBIS and why/how it is used at Colerain. ZOOM LINK: https://zoom.us/j/93912356119?pwd=ekxhQk0vZEdVSWNFNnRzRERTNTloZz09
- School Picture Retakes - Tuesday, November 16th
Staff Highlight - Debra Johnson
Q: What is your role?
A: Secretary 2
Q: What is your responsibility?
A: I do attendance tracking for Colerain, purchasing and transportation coordination for all the schools (Colerain, Beechcroft, Independence, and AIMS) in the OH/OI (orthopedically handicap/orthopedically impaired) Program, purchasing for the OH/IO Teachers that work at Nationwide Children's Hospital, AND make families feel welcome at Colerain!
Q: What do you want families to know?
A: I have a 16 year old son with special needs at is a Sophomore at Fort Hayes High School. He was born at 5 months and weighed less than 1 pound. I can personally related to our special need families and I am always willing to offer advice.
PBIS at Colerain
- PBIS stands for Positive Behavior Interventions and Support and is mandated in the State of Ohio by House Bill 318.
- PBIS is a research based framework that encourages schools to create a positive, predictable and safe learning environment to ensure success for all students.
- The PBIS framework is made up of strategies that are “tier” based and get more interactive as a student needs more help to return to a positive mind set.
- We will be launching a PBIS Series of posts to share more information on PBIS Tiers and Colerain’s implementation strategies.
2nd & 7 Foundation Visits Colerain
Thank you to The 2nd & 7 Foundation and members of The Ohio State Women's Lacrosse team for reading to our Colerain 2nd grade classes and providing them with copies of a book from the Hog Mollies Series. Digital copies of all the books are available at https://kids.secondandseven.com/#hog-mollie-books
The mission of The 2nd & 7 Foundation is to promote reading by providing free books and positive role models to kids in need while encouraging young athletes of the community to pay it forward. - https://www.secondandseven.com/
Colerain Robotics Club
Tuesdays (starting Nov 2nd) 3:40p - 5p
@ Colerain Elementary Library
See flyer posted below for more details and permission slip.
Upcoming District/Community Events
- ***TODAY - CCS Facilities Master Plan "Phase 5" - Monday, October 25th @ 6p at Centennial H.S. - see details below
- City of Columbus Trick or Treat - Thursday, October 28th 6p - 8p - the neighborhood around Colerain is a safe, fun place to trick or treat!!!
CCS Facilities Master Plan Details
WE NEED YOUR VOICE! Please consider participating in this effort to re-image what our Columbus City Schools could look like!
Colerain is in REGION 4!!!
***TODAY - Phase 5 (Consider) - Monday, October 25th @ 6p at Centennial High School
- We need you to help rework the puzzle of each region to create equity for all. We will break into small groups and reassess what makes sense for you and the structure for your region. Come and share your thoughts and suggestions. Please request translation services when registering.
- Register here: tbd
Phase 6 (Transform) - Wednesday, December 1st @ 6p at Whetstone High School
We will evaluate the options created in the Phase 5 - Consider workshop. What are the pros and cons of each option? We will break into small groups and evaluate what option makes the most sense for your region. Come be a part of live decision making and consensus building. Please request translation services when registering.
- Register here: tbd
***NEW - Request FREE Legal Help - https://cair-ohio.com/request-legal-help
Nationwide Children's Sexual Health Program - for parents and caregivers. Free 10 week course. Each session will be 10 minutes.
LSS 211- CONNECTING NEIGHBORS TO RESOURCES
- Charity Newsies Clothing Program - applications are open!
- CCS Website
- CCS Parent Portal
- CCS Peach Jar Flyers (community resources)
- CCS School Year Calendar
- CCS Virtual Family Engagement Sessions (current and archived sessions)
- CCS Translated Documents
- CCS Health Hub
- CCS Quarantine Guidelines (and Flow Chart)
- Special Ed Parent Mentor Program
Colerain Family Ambassador - Matt Dixon
The Family Ambassador is a liaison that facilitates partnerships, between families and the school, that support student academic success and well being.
If you have any questions, ideas, or feedback, please reach out to me either phone or email.