Vol. 9, Issue 6; October 1, 2021
Community Discussion on Marijuana at LPMHS
Again this year, LPMHS is proud to offer our Educational Leave Program for student-athletes who participate on teams that train and compete at the state and national levels in sports that are not school-sponsored (NYSEF sports, luge, bobsled, speed skating, figure skating, travel hockey, etc.). This program is designed to provide educational support for student-athletes who must miss classes to train and compete in their sport.
If your child is planning on participating in NYSEF sports or any other outside sport this year, and will need to miss school to do so, please fill out the Educational Leave Request form and email it to Ms. Amy Spicer, LPMHS Educational Leave Coordinator: firstname.lastname@example.org. She will also be happy to answer any questions you may have about the program. Please note that the form needs to be submitted to Ms. Spicer five school days in advance of your child’s leave.
Free Online Tutoring Available for All Students!
A Lake Placid Education Foundation grant from the Adirondack Foundation enabled our Library System to purchase 12 months unlimited use of Brainfuse HelpNow, which provides state-aligned live tutoring and homework help in all core academic subjects. The online tutoring service is available Monday through Sunday from 2 p.m. - 11 p.m. HelpNow also includes other resources that can be accessed 24/7, such as eLearning tools, writing labs, foreign language labs, standardized test prep, and more. A few important points about Brainfuse HelpNow:
- Brainfuse tutors are experienced professionals who hold a bachelor’s degree and complete an intensive onboarding process prior to assisting Brainfuse users.
- Brainfuse tutors collaborate with students to help them work out problems, rather than offer solutions.
- Brainfuse tutors go through background checks.
Families in Clinton, Essex, and Franklin Counties are invited to visit cefls.org/helpnow and use their library card to get started. Anyone in need of a library card should contact a local library to get one free of charge. If you have students who are in need of this support, but are unable to access their local library, please contact Anja Bouchard at email@example.com regarding another option.
Public Comment Info for Marijuana Regulation Hearings
This week, the Village of Lake Placid and Town of North Elba held a hearing on Marijuana Dispensaries and Consumption Places (Pot Bars).
If you wish to submit written comments on this topic, you may do so over the next ten days by sending them to the following:
Community Development Director
North Elba/Lake Placid
Lake Placid Ben & Jerry's
We're Hiring and WE WANT YOU!! Do you love ice cream? Are you interested in being a leader in your community? We're looking for servers, hard workers, team players, organizers, achievers, and communicators -- NO PRIOR EXPERIENCE NECESSARY. We start at a minimum of $15/hr plus tips for scoopers, shift leaders, cake decorators, catering staff, and more. If you are interested, please email Ann-Marie at firstname.lastname@example.org to request an application and schedule an interview.
Board of Education Meeting Dates 2021-22
The LPCSD Board of Education meets every 1st and 3rd Tuesday of each month at 6:30 p.m. in the District Administration Building. Board members attend in person or via zoom from their homes.
- Board meetings will continue to be streamed live. Executive Order 202.1 – Article 7 of the Public Officers Law allows for the school board to meet without permitting in public in-person access to meetings.
- Board agenda documents will become live on Saturday before the meeting and can be found at: https://go.boarddocs.com/ny/lpcsd/Board.nsf/Public
- Anyone can submit comments for the Good of the Cause by emailing email@example.com. Emails will be read during the portion of the Good of the Cause.
- Board meetings are streamed live at: http://www.lpcsd.org/. Click on "live stream."
Upcoming Board Meeting Dates:
- October 5
- October 19
- November 2
- November 16
- December 7